Christopher Adin, DVM, DACVS
Associate Professor, Soft Tissue and Oncologic Surgery
Dr. Adin received his DVM degree from Cornell University and went on to complete an internship at the VCA South Shore Animal Hospital in South Weymouth, Mass., followed by a clinical and research fellowship at the University of California–Davis, in renal medicine and hemodialysis. He completed his small animal surgical residency at UC-Davis, and then was on faculty at the University of Florida for five years before entering into a small animal specialty practice in Rochester, N.Y. Dr. Adin is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and a member of the Society for Veterinary Nephrology and Urology. Dr. Adin’s clinical interests include small animal soft tissue/general surgery, including complex oncologic surgery, microvascular surgery, and minimally invasive surgery such as laparoscopy. His research interests include organ preservation related to transplantation surgery.
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Regenerative MedicineOrgan and cellular transplantation, Diabetes therapy, Urinary incontinence, Novel surgical implant
- (2015) Role of ITGAE in the development of autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice.Barrie ES, Lodder M, Weinreb PH, Buss J, Rajab A, Adin C, Mi QS, Hadley GA. | J Endocrinol 2015 Mar; 224(3):235-43. Epub 2014 Dec 18.
- (2015) Suture-free technique for canine ureteral resection-anastomosis using a microvascular anastomotic system: a cadaveric study.Wavreille V, Adin CA, Arango J, Ham KL, Byron JK, McLoughlin MA. | Vet Surg 2015 Jan; 44(1):17-22. Epub 2014 Jun 6.
- (2015) Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the glucagon-like peptide-1 analog liraglutide in healthy cats.Hall MJ, Adin CA, Borin-Crivellenti S, Rudinsky AJ, Rajala-Schultz P, Lakritz J, Gilor C. | Domest Anim Endocrinol 2015 Apr;51:114-21. Epub 2014 Dec 12.
- (2015) Pharmacology of the glucagon-like peptide-1 analog exenatide extended-release in healthy cats.Rudinsky AJ, Adin CA, Borin-Crivellenti S, Rajala-Schultz P, Hall MJ, Gilor C. | Domest Anim Endocrinol 2015 Apr; 51:78-85. Epub 2014 Dec 20.
- (2014) Pancreatic islet transplantation: from dogs to humans and back again.Vrabelova D, Adin C, Gilor C, Rajab A. | Vet Surg 2014 Aug; 43(6):631-41. Epub 2014 Jun 9.
- (2014) Intraperitoneal bilirubin administration decreases infarct area in a rat coronary ischemia/reperfusion model.Ben-Amotz R, Bonagura J, Velayutham M, Hamlin R, Burns P, Adin C. | Front Physiol 2014 Feb 18; 5:53. eCollection 2014.
- (2014) Evaluation of a high-yield technique for pancreatic islet isolation from deceased canine donors.Vrabelova D, Adin CA, Kenzig A, Gilor C, Xu F, Buss JL, Rajab A. | Domest Anim Endocrinol 2014 Apr; 47:119-26. Epub 2013 Feb 15.
- (2013) Intermittent hypoxia exacerbates pancreatic β-cell dysfunction in a mouse model of diabetes mellitus.Sherwani SI, Aldana C, Usmani S, Adin C, Kotha S, Khan M, Eubank T, Scherer PE, Parinandi N, Magalang UJ. | Sleep 2013 Dec 1; 36(12):1849-58.
- (2013) Tunneling under the digastricus muscle increases salivary duct exposure and completeness of excision in mandibular and sublingual sialoadenectomy in dogs.Marsh A, Adin C. | Vet Surg 2013 Apr; 42(3):238-42. Epub 2013 Mar 4.
- (2013) Outcome after placement of an artificial urethral sphincter in 27 dogs.Reeves L, Adin C, McLoughlin M, Ham K, Chew D. | Vet Surg 2013 Jan; 42(1):12-8. Epub 2012 Nov 19.
- (2011) Bladder inversion and secondary hematuria in a 6-month-old domestic shorthair cat.Adin CA, Chew DJ, Heng HG, Townsend KL, Karnik K. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011 Aug 1; 239(3):370-3.
- (2009) Embryonic stem cells proliferate and differentiate when seeded into kidney scaffolds.Ross EA, Williams MJ, Hamazaki T, Terada N, Clapp WL, Adin C, Ellison GW, Jorgensen M, Batich CD. | J Am Soc Nephrol 2009 Nov; 20(11):2338-47. Epub 2009 Sep 3.
- (2009) Long-term efficacy of a percutaneously adjustable hydraulic urethral sphincter for treatment of urinary incontinence in four dogs.Rose SA, Adin CA, Ellison GW, Sereda CW, Archer LL. | Vet Surg 2009 Aug; 38(6):747-53.
- (2008) Cisplatin: a review of toxicities and therapeutic applications.Barabas K, Milner R, Lurie D, Adin C. | Vet Comp Oncol 2008 Mar; 6(1):1-18.
- (2008) Hyperbilirubinemia's protective effect against cisplatin nephrotoxicity in the Gunn rat.Barabas K, Milner R, Farese J, Baylis C, Croker B, Archer L, Adin C. | Anticancer Drugs 2008 Jun; 19(5):495-502.
- (2007) Effects of ischemia-reperfusion injury on renal ammonia metabolism and the collecting duct.Han KH, Kim HY, Croker BP, Reungjui S, Lee SY, Kim J, Handlogten ME, Adin CA, Weiner ID. | Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2007 Oct; 293(4):F1342-54. Epub 2007 Aug 8.
- (2007) Epidemiologic factors associated with the anatomic location of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts in dogs.Krotscheck U, Adin CA, Hunt GB, Kyles AE, Erb HN. | Vet Surg 2007 Jan; 36(1):31-6.
- (2007) Intravenous bilirubin provides incomplete protection against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in vivo.Kirkby K, Baylis C, Agarwal A, Croker B, Archer L, Adin C. | Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2007 Feb; 292(2):F888-94. Epub 2006 Oct 10.
- (2006) Evaluation of manufacturing variability, diffusion of filling solutions, and long-term maintenance of occlusion in silicone hydraulic occluders.Sereda CW, Adin CA, Batich CD, Archer LL, Goldman CG, Burns CG. | Am J Vet Res 2006 Aug; 67(8):1453-8.
- (2006) Biomechanical and histologic comparison of single-layer continuous Cushing and simple continuous appositional cystotomy closure by use of poliglecaprone 25 in rats with experimentally induced inflammation of the urinary bladder.Hildreth BE 3rd, Ellison GW, Roberts JF, Adin CA, Holloway TJ, Archer LL, Van Gilder JM. | Am J Vet Res 2006 Apr; 67(4):686-92.
- (2006) Canine renal transplantation: the next steps.Adin CA. | Vet Surg 2006 Feb; 35(2):103-4.
- (2006) Products of heme oxygenase and their potential therapeutic applications.Kirkby KA, Adin CA. | Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2006 Mar; 290(3):F563-71.
- (2006) Outcome associated with use of a percutaneously controlled hydraulic occluder for treatment of dogs with intrahepatic portosystemic shunts.Adin CA, Sereda CW, Thompson MS, Wheeler JL, Archer LL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006 Dec 1; 229(11):1749-55.
- (2005) Evaluation of ameroid ring constrictors for treatment of single extrahepatic portosystemic shunts in dogs: 168 cases (1995-2001).Mehl ML, Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Kass PH, Adin CA, Flynn A, De Cock H, Gregory CR. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005 Jun 15; 226(12):2020-30.
- (2005) Management and outcome of cats with ureteral calculi: 153 cases. (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LG, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005 Mar 15; 226(6):937-44.
- (2005) Use of an ultrasonically activated scalpel for splenectomy in 10 dogs with naturally occurring splenic disease.Royals SR, Ellison GW, Adin CA, Wheeler JL, Sereda CW, Krotscheck U. | Vet Surg 2005 Mar-Apr; 34(2):174-8.
- (2005) Methods of gradual vascular occlusion and their applications in treatment of congenital portosystemic shunts in dogs: a review.Sereda CW, Adin CA. | Vet Surg 2005 Jan-Feb; 34(1):83-91.
- (2005) Evaluation of a percutaneously controlled hydraulic occluder in a rat model of gradual venous occlusion.Sereda CW, Adin CA, Ginn PE, Farese JP. | Vet Surg 2005 Jan-Feb; 34(1):35-42.
- (2005) Protective effects of exogenous bilirubin on ischemia-reperfusion injury in the isolated, perfused rat kidney.Adin CA, Croker BP, Agarwal A. | Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2005 Apr;288(4):F778-84. Epub 2004 Nov 23.
- (2005) Clinical, clinicopathologic, radiographic, and ultrasonographic abnormalities in cats with ureteral calculi: 163 cases (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LD, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226(6):932-936.
- (2004) Re-evaluation of a portocaval venograft without an ameroid constrictor as a method for controlling portal hypertension after occlusion of intrahepatic portocaval shunts in dogs.Kyles AE, Gregory CR, Adin CA. | Vet Surg 2004 Nov-Dec; 33(6):691-8.
- (2004) Successful ovariectomy in a dog with Glanzmann thrombasthenia.Brdecka DJ, Adin CA, Boudreaux MK, Crawford EC, Randall SR. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004 Jun 1; 224(11):1796-8, 1788.
- (2004) Urodynamic effects of a percutaneously controlled static hydraulic urethral sphincter in canine cadavers.Adin CA, Farese JP, Cross AR, Provitola MK, Davidson JS, Jankunas H. | Am J Vet Res 2004 Mar; 65(3):283-8.
- (2004) Effect of petrolatum coating on the rate of occlusion of ameroid constrictors in the peritoneal cavity.Adin CA, Gregory CR, Kyles AE, Griffey SM, Kendall L. | Vet Surg 2004 Jan-Feb; 33(1):11-6.
- (2003) Intrapelvic granuloma formation six years after total hip arthroplasty in a dog.Freeman CB, Adin CA, Lewis DD, Ginn PE. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003 Nov 15; 223(10):1446-9, 1433.
- (2003) Antegrade pyelography for suspected ureteral obstruction in cats: 11 cases (1995-2001).Adin CA, Herrgesell EJ, Nyland TG, Hughes JM, Gregory CR, Kyles AE, Cowgill LD, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003 Jun 1; 222(11):1576-81
- (2002) Screening criteria for feline renal transplant recipients and donors.Adin CA. | Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 2002 Nov; 17(4):184-9.
- (2002) Evaluation of three peripheral arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis access in dogs.Adin CA, Gregory CR, Adin DB, Cowgill LD, Kyles AE. | Vet Surg 2002 Sep-Oct; 31(5):405-11.
- (2001) Diagnostic predictors of complications and survival after renal transplantation in cats.Adin CA, Gregory CR, Kyles AE, Cowgill L. | Vet Surg 2001 Nov-Dec; 30(6):515-21.
- (2001) Evaluation of a portocaval venograft and ameroid ring for the occlusion of intrahepatic portocaval shunts in dogs.Kyles AE, Gregory CR, Jackson J, Ilkiw JE, Pascoe PJ, Adin C, Samii VF, Herrgesell E. | Vet Surg 2001 Mar-Apr; 30(2):161-9.
- (2000) Treatment and outcome of dogs with leptospirosis: 36 cases (1990-1998).Adin CA, Cowgill LD. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000 Feb 1; 216(3):371-5.