Debra Ann Tokarz, DVM, PhD, DACVP
Comparative Veterinary Anatomic Pathologist
Dr. Tokarz attended undergraduate school at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and earned her DVM from Michigan State University in 2008. She did her residency in anatomic pathology at the University of California-Davis and was boarded in 2011. Dr. Tokarz completed her PhD in Comparative Biomedical Sciences at NC State University in the lab of Dr. Jeff Yoder in 2016. Her PhD research focused on the role of an ubiquitin ligase, TRIM9, in macrophage migration using the zebrafish as a model. As a comparative pathologist, Dr. Tokarz is enthusiastic about providing pathology support to help researchers make appropriate and effective use of their vertebrate animal models. She specializes in the pathology of zebrafish and rodents, but has experience with a variety of species.
AffiliationsAmerican Veterinary Medical Association, Society of Toxicologic Pathology, Graduate Women in Science
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathology
NeurobiologyHost, pathogen, and environmental effects on innate immune function; neurodegenerative and neuroinflammatory diseases
- (2018) A de novo mutation in the EXT2 gene associated with osteochondromatosis in a litter of American Staffordshire Terriers.Freidenberg S, Vansteenkiste D, Yost O, Treeful A, Meurs K, Tokarz D, Olby N. | J Vet Int Med, 2018; In press.
- (2017) Angiopellosis as an Alternative Mechanism of Cell Extravasation.Allen TA, Gracieux D, Talib M, Tokarz DA, Hensley MT, Cores J, Vandergriff A, Tang J, de Andrade JB, Dinh PU, Yoder JA, Cheng K. | Stem Cells, 2017; 35: 170-180.
- (2017) Disruption of TRIM9 function abrogates macrophage motility in vivo.Tokarz D, Heffelfinger AK, Jima DD, Gerlach J, Shah RN, Rodriguez I, Kortum AK, Fletcher AA, Nordone SK, Law JM, Heber S, Yoder JA. | J Leukoc Biol, 2017; 102: 1371-1380.
- (2017) Loss of DNA methylation in zebrafish embryos activates retrotransposons to trigger and antiviral response.Chernyavskaya Y, Mudbhary R, Tokarz D, Jacob V, Gopinath S, Zhang C, Sun X, Wang S, Magnani E, Madakshira BP, Yoder JA, Hoshida Y, Sadler KC. | Development, 2017; 144: 2925-2939.
- (2013) B-cell lymphoma with plasmacytoid differentiation, atypical cytoplasmic inclusions, and secondary leukemia in a dog.Kol A, Christopher M, Skorupski K, Tokarz D, Vernau W. | Vet Clin Pathol. 2013; 42(1):40-6.
- (2012) Intrathoracic pulsion diverticulum in a horse.Yamout S, Tokarz D, Magdesian KG, le Jeune SS. | Can Vet J. 2012; 53: 408-411.
- (2012) Amanitin toxicosis in two cats with acute hepatic and renal failure.Tokarz D, Poppenga R, Kaae J, Filigenzi M, Lowenstine LJ, Pesavento P. | Vet Pathol. 2012; 49: 1031-1034.
- (2010) Salmon Poisoning Disease in Dogs: 29 Cases.Sykes JE, Marks SL, Mapes S, Schultz RM, Pollard RE, Tokarz D, Pesavento P, Lindsay LA, Foley JE. | J Vet Intern Med. 2010; 24(3): 504-513.
- (2008) Molecular characterization of isosporoid coccidia (Isospora and Atoxoplasma spp.) in passerine birds.Schrenzel MD, Maalouf GA, Gaffney PM, Tokarz D, Keener LL, McClure D, Griffey S, McAloose D, Rideout BA. | J Parasitol. 2005; 91(3): 635-47.
- (2008) Neuropathy target esterase gene mutations cause motor neuron disease.Rainier S, Bui M, Mark E, Thomas D, Tokarz D, Ming L, Delaney C, Richardson RJ, Albers JW, Matsunami N, Stevens J, Coon H, Leppert M, Fink JK. | Am J Hum Genet. 2008; 82(3): 780-785.
- (2004) Nipa1 gene mutations cause hereditary spastic paraplegia (SPG6).Rainier S, Chai J-H, Tokarz D, Nicholls RD, Fink JK. | Am J of Hum Genet. 2003; 73: 967-971.
- (2004) Myofibrillogenesis regulator 1 (MR-1) gene mutations cause paroxysmal dystonia choreoathetosis.Rainier S, Thomas D, Tokarz D, Ming L, Bui M, Plein E, Zhoa X, Lemons R, Delaney C, Alvarado D, Fink JK. | Arch Neurol. 2004; 61: 1025-1029.