Oscar Fletcher, BS, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVP, DACPV
Professor, Poultry Health Management
Dr. Fletcher is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and a Founder Diplomate of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians.
Dr. Fletcher joined the faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia in 1968 as an assistant professor of veterinary pathology. He was promoted to associate professor in 1972, joined the Department of Avian Medicine in 1973, served as the acting associate dean for academic affairs (1972-73), associate dean for academic affairs (1976-1882), and was promoted to professor in 1978. He was named Head of the Department of Avian Medicine and Director of the Poultry Diagnostic & Research Center in 1982. In 1989, Dr. Fletcher became Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University; then served as Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at North Carolina State University from 1992 – 2004. Since 2004, Dr. Fletcher has been a professor in the Department of Population Health & Pathobiology at NC State.
Dr. Fletcher was the major advisor for ten PhD students; served on advisory committees for 24 MAM students at Georgia, and has been involved in the education of 20 Poultry Health Residents at NC State. Dr. Fletcher provided histopathology support for a number of research projects that included responses of the respiratory system to Mycoplasma infection, Marek’s disease including pathogenesis of central nervous system lesions in transient paralysis, inclusion body hepatitis, responses of tracheal tissue to infectious bronchitis virus, and experimentally induced inflammation in air sacs. He is author or co-author of 147 journal articles, a number of book chapters, editor of the 3rd edition of Avian Histopathology, and one of three co-authors of the 4th edition. Dr. Fletcher served as president of AAAP (1994-95), editorial board of Avian Diseases, member of the Scientific Program Committee, Poultry Section, AVMA (1989-1995), president of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians (1993-94), and served on the Council on Research, AVMA (1991-97 – serving as Chair in 1996).
Dr. Fletcher provides diagnostic histopathology service to the poultry industry through case materials received from NC, other states, and other countries. His on-line continuing education courses include Basic Responses of Avian Tissues to Injury, Basic Responses Plus All Body Systems, Gross Lesions, and Virtual Slides.
AffiliationsAVMA, NCVMA, ACVP, ACPV, AAAP
CertificationsDiplomate American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP),
Founder Diplomate, American College of Poultry Veterinarians (ACPV), DVM, PhD
Global Health, Infectious Diseases, Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsBasic Responses of Avian Tissues to Injury
- (2016) Dietary toxicity of soluble and insoluble molybdenum to northern bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus)Stafford JM, Lambert CE, Zyskowski JA, Engfehr CL, Fletcher OJ, Clark SL, Tiwary A, Gulde CM, Sample BE. | Ecotoxicology 2016 Mar; 25 (2):291-301
- (2015) History of the Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. Fletcher, OJ, Hooper, BE, Schoenfeld-Tacher, R. | Journal of Veterinary Medical Education, 42(5), 501-504.
- (2015) Instruction and Curriculum in Veterinary Medical Education: A 50-Year Perspective.Fletcher, OJ, Hooper, BE, Schoenfeld-Tacher, R. | Journal of Veterinary Medical Education, 42(5), 489-500.
- (2014) Epithelial Cell Tumors of the Hen Reproductive TractHarris, E. A., Fletcher, O. J., Anderson, K. E., Petitte, J.N., Kopelovich, L. and Mozdziak, P.E. | Av. Dis. 58 (1): 95-101.2014
- (2013) Reovirus infections in young broiler chickens.Davis, J. F., Kulhaini, A., Fletcher, O. J. | Avian Dis. 57 (2): 321-325.
- (2012) Cost effective and time efficient measurement of CD4, CD8, major histocompatibility complex class II, and macrophage antigen expression in the lungs of chickens.Fletcher, O.J., X. Tan, A.L. Cortes, I.M. Gimeno | Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 146: 225-236
- (2012) Myocarditis in 9 and 11-day-old broiler breeder chicks associated with a reovirus infection.Davis, J. F., Kulhani, A. Fletcher, O. J. | Avian Dis. 56 (4): 786-790. 2012
- (2012) Transmissible viral proventriculitis identified in broiler breeder and layer hens.Marusak, R. A., West, M. A., Davis, J. F., Fletcher, O. J., Guy, J. S. | Avian Dis. 56 (4): 757-759. 2012
- (2011) Identification of Ascaridia numidae in Guinea Fowl (Numida melegaris) and Association with Elevated MortalityRobbins, K., Ye, W., and Fletcher, O. J. | Av. Dis. 55: 151-154. 2011.
- (2011) Case Report – Macrorhabdus ornithogaster (Megabacterium) Infection in Adult Hobby Chickens in North AmericaBehnke, E. and Fletcher, O. J. | Av. Dis. 55: 331-334. 2011.
- (2011) Selected Blood Chemistry Values in Mobility-Impaired Broiler Breeder Hens with Suspected Calcium Tetany Using the i-Stat® Handheld Clinical AnalyzerMartin, M.P., Wineland, M., Fletcher, O.J., and Barnes, H.J. | Av. Dis. 55 (3): 340-345. 2011.
- (2011) Case Report – Macrorhabdus ornithogaster (Megabacterium) Infection in Adult Hobby Chickens in North America.Behnke, E. and Fletcher, O. J. | Av. Dis. 55: 331-334. 2011.
- (2010) Measuring the intra-individual variability of the plasma proteome in the chicken model of spontaneous ovarian adenocarcinomaHawkridge, A. M., Wysocky, R. B., Petitte, J. N., Anderson, K. E., Mozdziak, P. E., Fletcher, O. J., Horowitz, J. M., Muddiman, D. C. | Anal. Bioanal. Chem 398: 737-749. 2010.
- (2010) Mycoplasma iowae associated with chondrodystrophy in commercial turkeys.Ley DH, Marusak RA, Vivas EJ, Barnes HJ, Fletcher OJ. | Avian Pathol 39:87-93. 2010. [Erratum: Avian Pathol 39 :307]
- (2010) Parvovirus-associated cerebellar hypoplasia and hydrocephalus in day-old broiler chickens. Marusak, R. A., J. S. Guy, T. H. Aziz, M. A. West, O. J. Fletcher, and H. J. Barnes. | Avian Dis. 54: 156-160. 2010
- (2009) Effect of a Direct-Fed Microbial (Primalac) on Structure and Ultrastructure of Small Intestine in Turkey PoultsRahimi, S., Grimes, J. L., Fletcher, O., Oviedo, E., and Sheldon, B. W. | Poult. Sci. 88: 491-501.2009.
- (2007) Comb Candidiasis Affecting Roosters in a Broiler Breeder Flock(2007) Osorio C, Fletcher O, Dykstra MJ, Post K, Barnes HJ. | Avian Dis 51:618-622. 2007.
- (2007) Pneumonia of turkey breeder hens associated with Mycoplasma synoviae.Osorio C, Fletcher OJ, Abdul-Aziz T, Gonder E, Tilley B, Ley DH. | Avian Diseases 51:791-796, 2007.
CVM Students Awarded AAAP Scholarships
Several NC State College of Veterinary Medicine students picked up honors from the American Association of Avian Pathologists at the organization’s annual meeting last week in Washington. The Class of 2021’s Grayson Walker received a $5,000 AAAP Foundation/Merck Animal Health Veterinary Student Scholarship, awarded to veterinary students dedicated to poultry health. Walker is an alumnus
Oscar Fletcher Retires, Ending an Era at NC State
It was during Oscar Fletcher's time as Dean that the CVM became a part of NC State’s Centennial Campus and that a landmark gift from Randall B. Terry transformed the campus, creating the enviable Randall B. Terry, Jr. Companion Animal Veterinary Medical Center...