Jonathan Fogle, DVM, Ph.D., DACVIM
Associate Professor, Microbiology and Immunology
Lab: Clinical Pathology
Lab Phone: 919.513.6550
Lab Fax: 919.513.6556
View online at NCBI MyBibliography
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Immunology, Infectious DiseasesImmune dysfunction in animal models for HIV and cancer.
- Neonatal Isoerythrolysis  Fogle, JE | Clinical Veterinary Advisor 4th Edition. Elsevier, 2019
- Juvenile polyarteritis  Fogle, JE | Clinical Veterinary Advisor 4th Edition. Elsevier, 2019
- T regulatory cell induced Foxp3 binds the IL2, IFNγ, and TNFα promoters in virus-specific CD8+ T cells from feline immunodeficiency virus infected cats. Wang Y, Nag M, Tuohy J, De Paris K, Fogle JE. | AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, submitted July 2017
- Micro-RNA 10a is increased in feline T regulatory cells and increases Foxp3 protein expression following in vitro transfection.Wang Y, Nag M, Tuohy JL, Fogle JE. | Veterinary Sciences (4), 12, February 2017. doi:10.3390/vetsci4010012.
- Extreme Lymphocytosis with Myelomonocytic Morphology in a Horse with Diffuse Intermediate to Large B-Cell Lymphoma.Meichner, Kristina; Holland, Blaire; Durrant, Jessica; Grindem, Carol; Breuhaus, Babetta; Moore, Peter; Neel, Jennifer; Linder, Keith; Borst, Luke; Fogle, Jonathan; Tarigo, Jaime. | Vet Clin Pathol. 2017 Mar;46(1):64-71. doi: 10.1111/vcp.12435. Epub 2016 Dec 21.
- Comparison of LPS and soluble CD14 measurement between clinically endotoxaemic and nonendotoxaemic horses.Fogle J, Jacob M, Blikslager A, Edwards A, Wagner B, Dean K, Fogle C. | Equine Vet J. 2017 Mar;49(2):155-159. doi: 10.1111/evj.12582. Epub 2016 May 6.
- Canine osteosarcoma influences monocyte phenotype and chemotactic function.,Tuohy JL, Lascelles BDX, Griffith EH, Fogle JE. | J Vet Intern Med. June, 2016. DOI: 10.1111/jvim.13983
- Monocyte-derived dendritic cells from feline immunodeficiency virus positive cats are productively infected and maintain CD8+ T cell stimulatory capacityHood SF, Thompson EM, Akaronu NO, Miller MM, Fogle JE. | I nt J Virol AIDS. April 2015; (2) 1
- CD45+ and CD45- lymphocyte populations identified by flow cytometry from dogs with lymphoma exhibit similar morphology and the same clonal (B cell or T cell) lineage.Fogle JE, Tarigo JL, Thalheim L, Williams LE, English LB, Suter SE. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2015 Oct 22. pii: S0165-2427(15)30004-0. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2015.10.004. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26553299
- Modulating DNA methylation in activated CD8+ T cells inhibits Treg cell-induced binding of FoxP3 to the CD8+ T cell IL2 promoter.Miller MM, Akaronu N, Thompson EM, Hood SF, Fogle JE. | J Immunol. 2015 Feb 1;194(3): 990-8. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1401762. Epub 2014 Dec 29. PMID:25548225
- Probable Primary Polydipsia in a Domestic Shorthair Cat.Long CT, Williams M, Savage M, Fogle JE, Hudson LB. | JFMS Open Rep. 2015 Dec 1;1(2):2055116915615370. doi: 10.1177/2055116915615370. eCollection 2015 Jul-Dec.
- CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells activated during Feline Immunodeficiency Virus infection convert T helper cells into functional suppressors through a membrane-bound TGFβ/ GARP-mediated mechanism.Miller MM, Petty CS, Tompkins MB, Fogle JE. | Virol J. 2014 Jan 18;11:7. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-11-7.
- CD8+ clonality is associated with prolonged acute plasma viremia and altered mRNA cytokine profiles during the course of Feline Immunodeficiency Virus infection. Vet ImmunolMiller M.M., Thompson E. M., Suter S. E., Fogle J.E. | Immunopathol. 2013 Apr 15;152(3-4): 200-8. PMID: 23332729
- Human intravenous immunoglobulin (hIVIG) inhibits anti-CD32 antibody binding to canine DH82 cells and canine monocytes in vitro.Sibley TA, Miller MM, Fogle JE. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013 Feb 15;151(3-4): 229-34. PMID: 23276750
- Lymphoma immunophenotype of dogs determined by immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, and polymerase chain reaction for antigen receptor rearrangements.Thalheim LLN, Suter SE, Borst L, Fogle JE, Williams L. | J Vet Intern Med. 2013 Nov-Dec;27(6): 1509-16. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12185. Epub 2013 Sep 20. PMID:24112291
- Infection with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus Directly Activates CD4+CD25+ T Regulatory Cells.Miller M.M., Fogle J.E., Tompkins M.B | Journal of Virology 2013. Aug;87(16): 9373-8. 10.1128/JVI.00996-13 JVI.00996-13, PMID: 23760252
- M.B. Feline Glycoprotein A Repetitions Predominant (GARP) anchors TGFb on the surface of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells and mediates lentivirus induced T cell immunodeficiency.Miller M.M., Fogle J.E., Tompkins | AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses . 2013 Apr;29(4): 641-51. PMID: 23373523
- Administration of Fozivudine Tidoxil as a Single-Agent Therapeutic during Acute Feline Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Does Not Alter Chronic Infection.Miller M.M., Fogle J.E. | Viruses . 2012; 4(6): 954-962.
- Fozivudine tidoxil as a single agent therapy reduces plasma and cell associated viremia during acute feline immunodeficiency virus infection.Fogle, J.E., Tompkins, W.A., Campbell B., Sumner D., Tompkins, M.B. | J Vet Intern Med Vol. 25 (3) May / June 2011.
- CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells from FIV+ cats induce a unique anergic profile in CD8+ lymphocyte targets.Fogle, J.E., Tompkins, W.A., Tompkins, M.B. | Retrovirology 7: 97 Nov 2010.
- CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells inhibit CD8+ IFN production during acute and chronic FIV infection utilizing a membrane TGFβ dependent mechanism.Fogle, J.E., Mexas, A.M., Tompkins, W.A., Tompkins, M.B. | AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses., 26(2): 201-16. Feb 2010.
- CD4+CD25+ Regulatory T cells are Infected and Activated During Acute FIV Infection.Mexas AM, Fogle JE, Tompkins WA, Tompkins MB. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol, 126(3-4) 2008.
- CD4+CD25+ Regulatory T Cells in Viral Infections. In Regulatory T cells and Clinical Application.Tompkins WA, Tompkins MB, Mexas AM, Fogle JE. | Springer, 2008.
- In vivo depletion of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells in cats.Smithberg SR, Fogle JE, Mexas AM, Reckling SK, Lankford SM, Tompkins MB, and Dean GA. | J Immunol Methods., Jan 2008
- Mucosal Immunity and Canine Idiopathic Enteropathies.Fogle, JE, Bissett, SA. | Comp Cont Ed Pract Vet: Volume 29(5) May 2007.
- Cholangiohepatitis in Cats.Fogle, JE, Bissett, SA. | Standards of Care- Emerg Crit Care Med: Vol 7.4 May 2005.
- Pit Viper Envenomation in Dogs.Fogle, JE. | Standards of Care- Emerg Crit Care Med: Vol 6.8 Sep 2004.
Tackling Osteosarcoma in People and Pet Dogs
In humans, osteosarcoma most often strikes teens and sometimes kids even younger. In dogs, osteosarcoma is most common in large and giant breeds, such as Great Danes, Rottweilers and Saint Bernards. There hasn’t been any notable progress in the treatment and survival of human or dog patients with osteosarcoma in the last 30 years...
CALS & CVM Partner on Animal Agriculture Research
The separate investigations into the production health of swine, cattle, and poultry will involve nine faculty members from the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and four from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS). This is the second year of...
Jonathan Fogle Recipient of Grant from Creative and Novel Ideas in HIV Research Program
Jonathan Fogle, a veterinary internal medicine specialist and assistant professor of immunology in the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, is one of 10 young scientists to receive a grant from the Creative and Novel Ideas in HIV Research program to investigate questions related to long-term survival with HIV infection, and the prevention