Fred Fuller, Ph.D.
AffiliationsAmerican Society for Virology, American Association for the Advancement of Science
CertificationsPh.D. in Microbiology
Infectious DiseasesEquine infectious anemia virus
- 2015) Comparative genomic analysis identifies divergent genomic features of pathogenic Enterococcus cecorum including a type IC CRISPR-Cas system, a capsule locus, an epa-like locus, and putative host tissue binding proteins.Borst LB, Suyemoto MM, Scholl EH, Fuller FJ, Barnes HJ. | PLoS One 2015 Apr 10;10(4)
- (2015) Phylogenetic, taxonomic and functional diversity of fungal denitrifiers and associated N2O production efficacy.Mothapo, N., Chen, H., Cubeta, M.A., Grossman, J.M., Fuller, F.J., Shi, W. | Soil Biology & Biochemistry 83: 160-175.
- (2011) Physical and genomic characteristics of chicken proventricular necrosis virus (Isolate R11/3) identify the virus as a novel birnavirus.Guy JS, West MA, Fuller FJ, Marusak RA, Shivaprasad HL, Davis JL, Fletcher OJ. | Avian Diseases, 55(1): 2-7. 2011.
- (2011) Detection of chicken proventricular necrosis virus (R11/3 virus) in experimental and naturally occurring cases of transmissible viral proventriculitis with the use of a reverse transcriptase-PCR procedure.Guy JS, West MA, Fuller FJ, Marusak RA, Shivaprasad HL, Davis JL, Fletcher OJ. | 55(1): 70-75. 2011.
- (2010) EIAV S2 enhances pro-inflammatory cytokine and chemokine response in infected macrophages.Covaleda L, Fuller FJ, Payne SL. | Virology 397: 217-223.
- (2010) Identification of cellular proteins interacting with equine infectious anemia virus S2 protein.Covaleda, L., Gno, B-T, Fuller, F.J., and Payne, S.L. | Virus Research 151: 235-239.
- (2007) Phylogenetic analysis of outbreaks of recent spring viremia of carp virus reveals distinct genogroups with common origins for recent isolates in North America and the UK.O. Miller, F.J. Fuller, W.A. Gebreyes, G.A. Lewbart, I.S. Shchelkunov, R.B. Shivappa, C. Joiner, G. Woolford, D.M. Stone, P.F. Dixon, M.E. Raley and J.F. Levine. | Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 2007 Jul 16;76:193-204.
- (2006) The S2 accessory gene of equine infectious anemia virus is essential for expression of disease in ponies.Fagerness, A.J., Flaherty, M.T., S.T. Perry, B. Jia, S.L. Payne and F.J. Fuller. | Virology 349:22-30.
- (2005) Partial characterization of an adenovirus-like virus isolated from broiler chickens with transmissible viral proventriculitis.Guy, J.S., H.J. Barnes, L. Smith, R. Owen and F.J. Fuller. | Avian Diseases 49:344-351
- (2004) Virulence Phenotype of Equine Infectious Anemia Virus.Payne, S.L., Pei, Xiao-fang, B. Jia, A. Fagerness, and F.J. Fuller. Influence of LTR and Env on the | Journal of Virology 78(5):2478-2485.
- (2004) Mechanism of feline immunodeficiency virus envelope glycoprotein-mediated fusion. VirologyGarg H, Fuller FJ, Tompkins WA. Mechanism of feline immunodeficiency virus envelope glycoprotein-mediated fusion. | Virology 321(2):274-286.
- (2004) Antigenic and genomic characterization of turkey enterovirus-like virus (North Carolina, 1988 isolate): identification of the virus as turkey astrovirus 2.Guy, J.S., A.M. Miles, L.G. Smith, S. Schultz-Cherry, and F.J. Fuller | Avian Diseases 48(1):206-211.
- (2000) Cloning and sequencing hybrid striped bass (Morone saxatilis x M. chrysops) transforming growth factor-β (TGF-beta), and development of a reverse transcription quantitative competitive polymerase chain reaction (RT-qcPCR) assay to measure TGF- mRNA of teleost fish.Harms, C.A., S. Kennedy-Stoskopf, W.A. Horne, F.J. Fuller and W.A.F. Tompkins. | Fish and Shellfish Immunology 10:61-85.
- (2000) Nucleotide sequence and vaccinia expression of the nucleoprotein of a highly virulent, neurotropic strain of Newcastle disease virus.Ward, MD, Fuller, FJ, Mehrotra, Y. and EV DeBuysscher. | Avian Diseases 44:34-44.
- (1999) Long terminal repeat sequences of equine infectious anaemia virus are a major determinant of cell tropism.Payne, S.L., K. La Celle, X.-F. Pei, X.-M. Qi, H. Shao, W.K. Steagall, S. Perry and F. Fuller | Journal of General Virology 80: 755-759.
- (1999) Platelets from thrombocytopenic ponies acutely infected with equine infectious anemia virus are activated in vitro and hypofunctional.KE Russell, PC Perkins, MR Hoffman, RT Miller, KM Walker, FJ Fuller, DC Sellon. | Virology 259(1): 7-19.
- (1999) Sequence analysis of the turkey coronavirus nucleocapsid gene and 3’ untranslated region identifies the virus as a close relative of infectious bronchitis virus.Jamie J. Breslin, Lynda G. Smith, Frederick J. Fuller and James S. Guy. | Virus Research 65: 187-193.
- (1999) Long terminal repeat sequences of equine infectious anaemia virus are a major determinant of cell tropism.Payne, S.L., K La Celle, F Pei, XM Qi, H. Shao, WK Steagall, S. Perry and F. Fuller. Journal of | General Virology 80: 755-759.
- (1998) Disease induction by virus derived from molecular clones of equine infectious anemia virus.Payne, S.L., X.M. Qi, H. Shao, A. Dwyer and F.J. Fuller | Journal of Virology. 72: 483-487.
- (1997) Characterization and mutational studies of equine infectious anemia virus dUTPase.Shao, H., M.D. Robek, D.S. Threadgill, L.S. Mankowski, C.E. Cameron, F.J. Fuller and S.L. Payne. | Biochimica Biophysica Acta. 1339: 181-191.
- (1996) Equine infectious anemia virus replication is upregulated during differentiation of blood monocytes from acutely infected horses.Sellon, D.C., K.M. Walker, K.E. Russell, S.T. Perry, P. Covington, and F.J. Fuller | Journal of Virology 70: 590-594
- (1996) Phorbol ester stimulation of equine macrophage cultures alters expression of equine infectious anemia virus.Sellon, D.C., Walker, K.M., Russel, K.E., Perry, S.T., and F.J. Fuller. | Vet. Microbiol. 52: 3-4.
- (1995) Incorporation of uracil into viral DNA correlates with reduced replication of EIAV in macrophages.Steagall, W.K., M.D. Robek, S.T. Perry, F.J. Fuller and S.L. Payne | Virology 210: 3
- (1995) Detection of pseudorabies viral DNA in tonsillar epithelial cells of latently infected pigs.Brown, T.T., K.O. Shin, and F.J. Fuller. | American Journal of Veterinary Research, 56: 587-594.
- (1994) Characterization of infectious molecular clones of equine infectious anaemia virus.Payne, S.L., J. Rausch, K. Rushlow, R.C. Montelaro, C. Issel, M. Flaherty, S. Perry, D. Sellon and F. Fuller. | Journal of General Virology 75: 425-429.
- (1993) Production and characterization of a monoclonal antibody recognizing a cytoplasmic antigen of equine mononuclear phagocytes.Sellon, D.C., J. Cullen, L. Whetter, D. Gebhard, L. Coggins and F.J. Fuller. | Veterinary Immunology & Immunopathology 36: 303-318.
- (1993) Characterization of equine infectious anemia virus dUTPase: Growth properties of a dUTPase-deficient mutant.Threadgill, D.S., W.K. Steagall, M.T. Flaherty, F.J. Fuller, S.T. Perry, K.E. Rushlow, S.F. Le Grice and S.L. Payne. | Journal of Virology 67 :2592-2600.
- (1992) The surface envelope protein gene region of equine infectious anemia virus is not an important determinant of tropism in vitro.Perry, S.T., M.T. Flaherty, M. Kelley, D.L. Clabough, S. Tronick, L. Coggins, L. Whetter, C.R. Lengel and F.J. Fuller. | Journal of Virology 66: 4085-4097.
- (1992) Wild-type equine infectious anemia virus replicates in vivo predominantly in tissue macrophages, not in peripheral blood monocytes.Clabough, D.L., S.T. Perry, L. Coggins and F.J. Fuller. | Journal of Virology 66: 5906-5913.
- (1992) Nucleotide sequence of the tick‑borne, Orthomyxo‑like Dhori/Indian/1313/61 virus membrane protein gene.Clay, William C. and Frederick J. Fuller. | Journal of General Virology 73: 2609-2616.
- (1991) Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia in horses infected with equine infectious anemia virus.Clabough, D.L., D. Gebhard, M.T. Flaherty, L.E. Whetter, S.T. Perry, L. Coggins and F.J. Fuller | Journal of Virology 65: 6242-6251.
- (1991) Evolutionary relatedness of the predicted gene product of RNA segment 2 of the tick-borne Dhori virus and the PB1 polymerase genes of influenza viruses.Lin, D.A., S. Roychoudhury, P. Palese, W.C. Clay and F.J. Fuller. | Virology 182: 1-7.
- (1990) Nucleotide sequence of the tick‑borne, Orthomyxo‑like Dhori/Indian/1313/61 virus envelope gene.Freedman‑Faulstich, E.Z., and Frederick J. Fuller. | Virology 175: 10-18.
- (1990) Equine infectious anemia virus derived from a molecular clone persistently infects horses.Whetter, L., D. Archambault, S. Perry, A. Gazit, L. Coggins, A. Yaniv, D. Clabough, J. Dahlberg, F., Fuller and S. Tronick | Journal of Virology 64: 5750-5756.
- (1988) Nucleotide sequence of the envelope protein genes of a highly virulent, neurotropic strain of Newcastle disease virus.Schoper, U., F.J. Fuller, M. Ward, Y. Mehrotra, H.O. Stone, B.R. Stripp and E.V. De Buysscher | Virology 165: 291-295.
- (1988) Bluetongue virus genome remains stable during prolonged infection of cattle.Heidner, H.W., N.J. MacLachlan, F.J. Fuller, R.G. Richards and L.E. Whetter | Journal of General Virology 69: 2629-2636.
- (1988) Comparison of virologic and serologic responses of lambs and calves infected with bluetongue virus serotype 10.Richards, R.G., N.J. MacLachlan, H.W. Heidner and F.J. Fuller. | 18: 233-242.
- (1987) Complete nucleotide sequence of the tick‑borne, orthomyxo‑like Dhori/Indian/1313/61 virus nucleoprotein gene.Fuller, F.J., E.Z. Freedman‑Faulstich and J.A. Barnes | Virology 160: 81‑87.
- (1987) Humoral immune response of calves to bluetongue virus infection.MacLachlan, N. James, Hans W. Heidner, and Frederick J. Fuller. | American Journal of Veterinary Research 48(7):1031‑1035.
- (1986) Genetic stability in calves of a single strain of bluetongue virus.MacLachlan, N. James and F. J. Fuller. | American Journal of Veterinary Research 47: 762‑764.
- (1986) A Single Nucleotide Change in the E2 Glycoprotein Gene of Sindbis Virus Affects Penetration Rate in Cell Culture and Virulence in Animals.Davis, N.L., F.J. Fuller, W.G. Dougherty and R.E. Johnston. | Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 83: 6771‑6775.
- (1986) Turkey Coryza: Lack of correlation between plasmids and pathogenicity of bordetella avium.Simmons, D.G., L.P. Rose, F.J. Fuller, L.C. Maurer and G.H. Luginbuhl. | Avian Diseases 30: 593‑597.
- (1983) Bunyavirus nucleoprotein, N, and a non‑structural protein, NS, are coded by overlapping reading frames in the S RNA.Fuller, F.J., A.S. Bhown and D.H.L. Bishop. | Journal of General Virology 64: 1705‑1714.
- (1983) Interference between bunyaviruses in Aedes Triseriatus mosquitoes.Beaty, B.J., D.H.L. Bishop, M. Gay and F.J. Fuller. | Virology 127: 83‑90.
- (1983) Tick‑borne viruses structurally similar to Orthomyxoviruses.Clerx, J.P.M., F.J. Fuller and D.H.L. Bishop. | Virology 127: 205‑219.
- (1983) Coding assignments of the RNA genome segments of California serogroup viruses.Bishop, D.H., F.J. Fuller, and H. Akashi. | Progress in Clinical Biological Research. 123: 107-117.
- (1983) Bunyavirus gene structure-function relationships and potential for RNA segment reassortment in the vector: La Crosse and snowshoe hare reassortant viruses in mosquitoes.Beaty, F.J., F. Fuller, and D.H. Bishop. | Progress in Clinical Biological Research. 123: 119-128.
- (1982) Synthesis and processing of Sindbis virus non‑structural proteins in vitro.Collins, P.L., F.J. Fuller, P.I. Marcus, L.E. Hightower, and L.A. Ball. | Virology 118: 363‑379.
- (1982) Identification of viral coded non‑structural polypeptides in Bunyavirus infected cells.Fuller, Frederick J. and David H.L. Bishop. | Journal of Virology 41: 643‑648.
- (1982) The 3' terminal RNA sequences of bunyaviruses and nairoviruses (BunyaviridaeEvidence of end sequence generic differences within the virus family.Clerx‑van Haaster, C.M., J.P.M. Clerx, H. Ushijima, H. Akashi, F.J. Fuller and D.H.L. Bishop. | Journal of General Virology 61: 289‑292.
- (1980) Sindbis Virus: I. Gene order of translation in vitro.Fuller, Frederick J. and Philip I. Marcus. | Virology 107: 441‑451.
- (1980) Sindbis Virus: Defective‑interfering particles temperature‑ sensitive for interferon induction.Fuller, Frederick J. and Philip I. Marcus. Interferon Induction by Viruses. | Journal of General Virology 48: 391‑393.
- (1980) Sindbis Virus: Early passage defective‑interfering particles induce interferon.Fuller, Frederick J. and Philip I. Marcus. Interferon Induction by Viruses. IV. | Journal of General Virology 48: 63‑67.
- (1979) Interferon Induction by Viruses. II. Sindbis Virus: Interferon induction requires one‑quarter of the genome‑genes G and A.Marcus, Philip I. and Frederick J. Fuller. | Journal of General Virology 44: 169‑177.
- (1979) Cell surface‑associated ribonuclease activities.Fuller, Frederick J., and Philip I. Marcus. | Journal of Cellular Physiology 98: 1‑10.