Dr. Hansen received his DVM from Purdue in 1980, then did an internship at the University of Illinois before entering private practice in South Bend, IL until 1985. In 1985, he started a residency in internal medicine at The Ohio State University and then earned a Master's degree in 1990. His primary clinical and research interests include critical care and recognition and treatment of pain. Dr. Hansen rides his bicycle 5,000-7,000 miles every year, and enjoys some racing and recreational road riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains. He also builds telescopes and monitors the climate changes on Mars. He is married and has a gymnast/equestrian daughter.
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsCritical care
Recognition and treatment of pain
- (2015) Red blood cell storage lesion.Obrador R, Musulin SE, Hansen BD. | J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2015;25(2):187-199.
- (2013) Variability of performance of wound infusion catheters. Hansen B, Lascelles BDX, Thomson A, DePuy V. | Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 2013 Feb 13. doi: 10.1111/vaa.12016. [Epub ahead of print].PMID:23406507.
- (2013) Development of a questionnaire to assess chronic pain associated with feline degenerative joint diseaseBenito J, DePuy V, Davidson GA, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Gruen MW, Roe S, Hardie E, Hansen B, Lascelles BD. | Oral presentation at AVA Scientific Spring Meeting. 2013; 40(1):19. Davos, Switzerland.
- (2013) Reliability and discriminatory testing of a client-based metrology instrument, feline musculoskeletal pain index (FMPI) for the evaluation of degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats.Benito J, Depuy V, Hardie E, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hansen B, Lascelles BD. | Vet J 2013 Jun;196(3):368-73. Epub 2013 Jan 29.
- (2013) Feline musculoskeletal pain index: responsiveness and testing of criterion validity.Benito J, Hansen B, DePuy V, Davidson GS, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hardie E, Lascelles BD. | J Vet Intern Med 2013 May-Jun;27(3):474-82. Epub 2013 Apr 3.
- (2012) Outcome measures and neurobiological insights in a naturally occurring canine model of OA.Lascelles BD, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Hansen BD. | 2012 North Carolina Cartilage-Arthritis Rresearch Alliance (NC-CARA) Meeting, Poster Presentation. 20 March 2012; Chapel Hill, NC.
- (2012) Owner questionnaire to assess feline DJD pain.Lascelles BD, Benito J, DePuy V, Davidson GS, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe SC, Hardie EM, Hansen B. | Oral communication, ACVS Scientific Symposium Washington, 1-3 November 2012 (Accepted - not presented due to Hurricane Sandy and ACVS being cancelled)
- (2011) Evaluation of intermittent infusion of bupivacaine into surgical wounds of dogs postoperatively. Hardie EM, Lascelles BDX, Meuten T, Davidson GS, Papich MG, Hansen BD. | Veterinary Journal 2011 Nov;190(2):287-9
- (2010) Item generation and design testing of a questionnaire to assess degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats. Zamprogno H, Hansen BD, Bondell HD, Sumrell AR, Simpson W, Robertson ID, Brown J, Pease AP, Roe SC, Hardie EM, Wheeler SJ, Lascelles BD. | Am J Vet Res 2010 Dec;71(12):1417-24.
- (2010) Cross-sectional study evaluating the prevalence of radiographic degenerative joint disease in domesticated catsLascelles BDX, Thomson Sumrell A, Henry III JB, Brown J, Simpson W, Wheeler S, Hansen BD, Robertson I, Zamprogno H, Freire M, Pease A. | Veterinary Surgery 2010;39: 535-44
- (2010) Pain relieving and activity-enhancing properties of a putative therapeutic diet for feline degenerative joint disease associated painLascelles BDX, DePuy V, Thomson Sumrell A, Hansen B, Marcellin-Little D, Bauer JE. | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010; 24(3):487-95
- (2008) Evaluation of a digitally integrated accelerometer-based activity monitor for the measurement of activityLascelles BDX, Hansen BD, Thomson A, Pierce CC, Rowinski E, Smith ES | Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia (2008) 35(2):173-183. Epub 2007 Oct 10
- (2007) Feline fibrosarcoma: Perioperative management.Davis KM, Hardie EM, Lascelles BDX, Hansen B | Compendium of Continuing Education December 2007: 712-732
- (2007) A canine model of septic shock: balancing animal welfare and scientific relevance.Minneci PC, Deans KJ, Hansen B, Parent C, Romines C, Gonzales DA, Ying SX, Munson P, Suffredini AF, Feng J, Solomon MA, Banks SM, Kern SJ, Danner RL, Eichacker PQ, Natanson C, Solomon SB. | Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2007 Oct;293(4):H2487-500. Epub 2007 Jul 20.
- (2007) Prospective clinical evaluation of an ELISA B-type natriuretic peptide assay in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure in dogs presenting with cough or dyspnea.DeFrancesco TC, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Hansen BD, Keene BW, Moore DT, Atkins CE. | J Vet Intern Med 2007 Mar-Apr; 21(2):243-250.
- (2007) Evaluation of an accelerometer for at-home monitoring of spontaneous activity in dogsHansen B, Lascelles BDX, Keene BW, Adams A, Thomson A | American Journal of Veterinary Research (2007) 68(5):468-475
- (2007) Evaluation of client-specific outcome measures and activity monitoring to measure pain relief in cats with osteoarthritis.Lascelles BD, Hansen BD, Roe S, DePuy V, Thomson A, Pierce CC, Smith ES, Rowinski E. | J Vet Intern Med 2007 May-Jun;21(3):410-6.
- (2007) Feline fibrosarcoma: Perioperative managementDavis KM, Hardie EM, Lascelles BDX, Hansen B | Compendium of Continuing Education December 2007;712-732. [Lascelles assisted with mentoring of primary author (resident), manuscript planning, researching and writing]
- (2005) Analgesia and sedation in the critically ill.Hansen BD. | J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2005; 15(4):285-294.
- (2003) An alternative model for teaching emergency procedures.Hansen BD. | J Vet Med Educ 2003 Fall; 30(3): 270-273.
- (2003) Use of animation-enhanced video clips for teaching abnormal breathing patterns.Hawkins EC, Hansen B, Bunch BL. | J Vet Med Educ 2003 Spring; 30(1):73-77.
- (2003) Assessment of pain in dogs: veterinary clinical studies.Hansen BD. | ILAR J 2003; 44(3):197-205.
- (2002) Relationship between hydration estimate and body weight change after fluid therapy in critically ill dogs and catsHansen BD, DeFrancesco T. | J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2002 Dec; 12(4):235-243.
- (2001) Epidural Catheter Analgesia in Dogs and Cats: Technique and Review of 182 Cases (1991–1999)Hansen BD. | J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2000 June; 11(2): 95-103.
- (1998) Comparison of transdermal fentanyl and intramuscular oxymorphone on post-operative behaviour after ovariohysterectomy in dogs.Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Hansen BD, Papich MG. | Res Vet Sci 1998 Nov-Dec;65(3):245-51.
- (1997) Behavior after ovariohysterectomy in the dog: what's normal?Hardie EM, Hansen BD, Carroll GS. | Applied Animal Behavioral Science 1997 Jan; 51(1-2):111–128.
- (1997) Physiological measurements after ovariohysterectomy in dogs: what's normal?Hansen BD, Hardie EM, Carroll GS. | Applied Animal Behavioral Science 1997 Jan; 51(2):101–109.