Samuel L Jones, DVM, PhD, DACVIM
Professor, Equine Medicine
Dr. Jones received his DVM from the University of Tennessee in 1988, and his PhD in Immunology from Washington University in 1998. He is the Director of both the Comparative Biomedical Sciences Program and the Combined DVM/PhD Program at the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine.
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
ImmunologyMy lab investigates how inflammation is triggered and regulated and how inflammation contributes to the pathophysiology of diseases such as colitis, equine colic, sepsis, and endotoxemia. A primary objective of our work is to understand the cellular and molecular details of cell migration with a focus on the key innate immune cells called neutrophils. We are particularly interested in how the signaling molecules protein kinase A, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and p38 and the actin binding proteins MARCKS, VASP, and L-Plastin regulate the actin cytoskeleton, integrin function, and signaling during migration of neutrophils and other cells. We use human and equine primary cells, cell lines, and in vivo models including mice and zebrafish for these studies. Our lab is also studying how inflammation is triggered and pro-inflammatory genes are upregulated in equine leukocytes. We are studying the responses of equine leukocytes to lipopolysaccharide (endotoxin) and current studies include the mechanism upregulating a number of genes in the prostaglandin synthesis cascade, particularly cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin synthase-1. We also collaborate extensively with Dr. Anthony Blikslager to study the effects of neutrophils and inflammatory mediators on intestinal mucosal repair following ischemic injury such as occurs in some forms of equine colic. Our clinical studies include equine Bartonellosis, equine colic, right dorsal ulcerative colitis, and hepatic injury in horses with intestinal diseases.
- (2006) Red Maple (Acer rubrum) leaf toxicosis in horses: A retrospective study of 32 cases. Alward A, Corriher CA, Barton MH, Sellon DC, Blikslager AT, Jones SL. | J Vet Intern Med 20:1197-1201.
- (2004) Large granular lymphoma in a mule. Zimmerman B, Rotstein D, Jones SL. | Vet Rec 155:462-3.
- (2009) p38 Mitogen-Activated Kinase (MAPK) is essential for equine neutrophil migration.Eckert RE, Sharief Y, Jones SL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 129:181-191.
- (2009) Role of p38 MAPK in LPS induced pro-inflammatory cytokine and chemokine gene expression in equine leukocytes.Neuder LE, Keener JM, Eckert RE, Trujillo JC, Jones SL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 129:192-199.
- (2009) The effect of lidocaine on in vitro adhesion and migration of equine neutrophils.Cook VL, Neuder LE, Blikslager AT, Jones SL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 129(1-2):137-42.
- (2009) Myristoylated Alanine-Rich C-kinase Substrate (MARCKS) protein regulation of human neutrophil migration.Eckert RE, Neuder LE, Park J, Adler KB, Jones SL. | Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol (Epub ahead of print doi:10.1165/rcmb.2008-0394OC).
- (2008) Tonic protein kinase A activity maintains inactive ?2 integrins in unstimulated neutrophils by reducing myosin light chain phosphorylation: Role of myosin light chain kinase and Rho kinase.Chilcoat CD, Sharief Y, Jones SL. | J Leukoc Biol 83:964-71.
- (2007) The role of p38 mitogen-activated kinase (MAPK) in the mechanism regulating cyclooxygenase gene expression in equine leukocytes.Eckert RE, Neuder LE, Bell JL, Trujillo JC, Jones SL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 118:294-303.
- (2007) Regulation of VASP serine 157 phosphorylation in human neutrophils after stimulation by a chemoattractant.Eckert RE, Jones SL. | J Leukoc Biol 82:1311-21.
- (2006) Neutrophils do not mediate the pathophysiological sequelae of C. parvum infection in neonatal piglets.Zadrozny LM, Stauffer SH, Armstrong MU, Jones SL, Gookin JL. | Infect Immun 74:5497-5505.
- (2005) Asymmetrical protein kinase A activity establishes neutrophil cytoskeletal polarity and enables chemotaxis.Jones SL, Sharief Y. | J Leukoc Biol 78:248-258.
- (2005) Protective role of neutrophils in mice experimentally infected with Rhodococcus equi.Martens RJ, Cohen ND, Jones SL, Moore TA, Edwards JF. | Infect Immun 73:7040-7042.
- (2004) Mitogen activated protein kinases regulate COX-2 and mucosal recovery in ischemic-injured porcine ileum.Shifflett DE, Jones SL, Moeser AJ, Blikslager AT. | Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 286: G906-G913.
- (2004) Neutrophils augment recovery of porcine ischemia-injured ileal mucosa by an IL-1b and COX-2 dependent mechanism.Shifflett DE, Bottone FG Jr, Young KM, Moeser AJ, Jones SL, Blikslager AT. | Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G50-G57
- (2003) Phosphatidyl-3-kinase (PI3'K) signaling is required for prostaglandin-induced mucosal recovery in ischemia-injured porcine ileum.Little D, Dean RA, Young KM, McKane SA, Martin LA, Jones SL, Blikslager AT. | Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 284(1):G46-G56.
- (2007) Use of an insect cell culture growth medium to isolate bacteria from horses with effusive, fibrinous pericarditis: a preliminary study. Jones SL, Valenzisi A, Sontakke S, Sprayberry KA, Maggi R, Hegarty B, Breitschwerdt EB. | Vet Micro 121:177-181.
- (2007) Thoracic discospondylitis with associated epaxial muscle atrophy in a Quarter Horse gelding. Alward AL, Pease AP, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 19:67-71.
- (2007) Non-Secretory Multiple Myeloma in a Horse. Morton AJ, Davis JL, Redding WR, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 19:564-568.
- (1991) Subepiglottic cyst causing upper airway obstruction in a neonatal calf.Mattoon JS, Andrews D, Jones SL, Linford RL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 199:747-749.
- (1995) Hydrops uteri in a goat pregnant with goat-sheep hybrid fetuses.Jones SL, Fecteau G. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 206:1920-2.
- (1994) Renal dysplasia and benign ureteropelvic polyps associated with hydronephrosis in a foal.Jones SL, Langer DL, Sterner-Kock A, Snyder JR, Carlson GP. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 204:1230-1234.
- (1993) Clostridium septicum septicemia in a neonatal foal with hemorrhagic enteritis.Jones SL, Wilson WD. | Cornell Vet 83:143-151.
- (2000) Rhabdomyolysis in two foals with polysaccharide storage myopathy.Byrne E, Cohen N, Jones SL, Zimmel DN, Valberg S. | Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 22:503-509.
- (2000) Unusual presentation of nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism in a Paint colt.Little D, Redding WR, Spaulding KA, Dupree SH, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 2:388-394.
- (1998) Electrolyte disturbances in foals with severe rhabdomyolysis.Perkins G, Valberg SJ, Madigan JM, Carlson GP, Jones SL. | J Vet Intern Med 12:173-177.
- (2002) Nasal adenocarcinoma with diffuse metastases involving the orbit, cerebrum, and multiple cranial nerves in a horse.Davis JL, Gilger BC, Spaulding K, Ian D Robertson ID, Jones SL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 221:1460-1463.
- (2002) Pharmacokinetics of azithromycin in foals after IV and oral dose and disposition into phagocytes.Davis JL, Gardner SY, Jones SL, Schwabenton BA, Papich MG. | J Vet Pharmacol Ther 25:99-104.
- (2002) Idiopathic eosinophilic enteritis in a 10 week old colt.Stanar LS, Little D, Redding, WR, Jones SL. | Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 24:342-344.
- (2001) Percutaneous retrieval of a jugular catheter fragment from the pulmonary artery of a 10-day-old foal.Little D, Keene BW, Bruton C, Smith LJ, Powell S, Jones SL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:212-214.
- (2001) Acute and chronic mineral oil pneumonitis in two horses.Davis JL, Ramirez S, Campbell N, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 13:230-234.
- (2001). Dysphagia caused by squamous cell carcinoma in 2 horses.Jones SL, Zimmel D, Tate LP, Campbell N, Redding WR, Carlson GP. | Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 23:1020-1024.
- (2001) Neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser ablation of a urethral web to relieve urinary outflow obstruction in a horse.Blikslager AT, Tate LP, Jones SL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 218:1970-1972.
- (2000) Vaccine-associated anaphylactic-like reaction in a horse.Zimmel DN, Blikslager AT, Jones SL, McFarlane D, Young K. | Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 22:81-85.
- (2003) Ultrasonographic findings in horses with right dorsal colitis: 5 cases (2000-2001).Jones SL, Davis JL, Rowlingson KA. | J Am Vet Med Assoc. 222:1248-1251.
- (1998) Effect of intravenous fluid administration on the pharmacokinetics of gentamicin in healthy adult horses.Jones SL, Wilson WD. | J Vet Pharmacol Ther 21:247-249.
- (1998) Two signaling mechanisms for activation of alphaMbeta2 avidity in polymorphonuclear neutrophils.Jones SL, Knaus UG, Bokoch GM, Brown EJ. | J Biol Chem 273:10556-10566.
- (1996) FcgammaRII-mediated adhesion and phagocytosis induce L-plastin phosphorylation in human neutrophils.Jones SL, Brown EJ. | J Biol Chem 271:14623-14630.
- (2009) Use of ultrasound to evaluate outcome following colic surgery for equine large colon volvulus.Sheats MK, Cook VL, Jones SL, Blikslager AT, Pease AP. | Equine Vet J (Accepted).
- (2008) Detection of Bartonella henselae in the blood of two adult horses.Jones SL, Maggi R, Shuler J, Alward A, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Intern Med
- (2008) Disseminated large granular lymphoma in a horse.Sheats MK, Van Wetter AJ, Snyder LA, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 20:459-463.
- (2007) Spontaneous rupture of the guttural pouch as a complication of treatment for guttural pouch empyema.Fogle C, Gerard M, Johannson AM, Breuhaus BA, Blikslager AT, Jones SL. | Equine Vet Educ 19:351-355.
- (2006) Predisposing factors for small colon impaction in horses and outcome of medical and surgical treatment: 44 cases (1999-2004).Federico LM, Jones SL, Blikslager AT. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:1612-1616
- (2006) Serum lactoferrin and immunoglobulin G concentrations in healthy or ill neonatal foals and healthy adult horses.Barton MH, Hurley D, Norton N, Heusner G, Costa L, Jones SL, Byars D, Watanabe K. | J Vet Intern Med 20:1457-1462.
- (2003) Suppurative cholangiohepatitis and enteritis in adult horses.Davis JL, Jones SL. | J Vet Intern Med 17:583-587.
- (2003) A retrospective analysis of hepatic injury in horses with proximal enteritis (1984-2002) | J Vet Intern Med 17:896-901.
- (2002) The effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on bile-injured and normal equine colon.Campbell NB, Jones SL, Blikslager AT. | Equine Vet J 34:493-498.
- (2002) Neutrophils increase paracellular permeability of restituted ischemic injured porcine ileum.Gayle J, Jones SL, Argenzio RA, Blikslager AT. | Surgery 132:461-470.
- (2002) The effects of cAMP modulation upon the adhesion and respiratory burst activity of immune complex-stimulated equine neutrophils.Chilcoat CD, Rowlingson KA, Jones SL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 88:65-77.
- (2002) Protein kinase A regulates beta-2 integrin avidity in neutrophils.Jones SL. | J Leukoc Biol 71:1042-1048.
- (2001) Signaling mechanism for equine neutrophil activation by immune complexes.Jones SL, Sharief Y, Chilcoat CD. | Vet Immunol Immunopath 82:87-100.
- (1999) A functional granulocyte colony-stimulating factor is required for normal chemoattractant-induced neutrophil activation.Betsuyaku T, Liu F, Senior RM, Haug JS, Brown EJ, Jones SL, Matsushima K, Link DC. | J Clin Invest. 103:825.
- (1998) A role for the actin-bundling protein L- plastin in the regulation of leukocyte integrin function.Jones SL, Wang J, Turck CW, Brown EJ. | Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA. 95:9331-9336.
- (2012) Evaluation of cyclooxygenase protein expression in inflamed versus normal tissues from eastern box turtles (terrapene carolina carolina)Royal LW, Lascelles BDX, Lewbart GA, Correa MT, Jones SL | J Zoo Wildl Med 2012 Jun;43(2):289-95. PMID: 22779232
- (2009) Expression and activity of COX-1 and 2 and 5-LOX in joint tissues from dogs with naturally occurring coxofemoral joint osteoarthritisLascelles BDX, King S, Roe S, Marcellin-Little DJ, Jones S | Journal of Orthopedic Research 2009;27:1204-1208