Mac Law, DVM, PhD
Lab: Histology (Biopsy)
Lab Phone: 919.513.6390
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA Residency/Ph.D.
Awarded Diplomate status, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP)
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
Infectious DiseasesMy research focuses on mechanisms of carcinogenesis and comparative pathology of aquatic animals. The approach is twofold:
(1) Mechanistic investigations using histopathology, molecular biology, and analytical techniques such as GC/mass spectrometry and HPLC with electrochemical detection to further establish small fish species as viable alternative animal models in toxicologic/carcinogenicity testing. Fish models including the medaka, Oryzias latipes, and the zebrafish, Danio rerio, are used in these studies. We have recently made ground-breaking contributions to the field of liver pathology with regard to hepatic fibrosis, which may progress to cirrhosis and eventually, hepatocellular and/or biliary carcinoma.
(2) Laboratory, mesocosm, and field investigations designed to establish reliable biological markers in aquatic organisms as sentinels of environmental degradation. These biomarkers incorporate histopathology, clinical pathology, and immunologic techniques to determine the health of aquatic animals and ecosystems. Expected benefits of my research include increased knowledge of basic mechanisms of carcinogenesis, more rapid and economical testing of potential carcinogens, sensitive monitoring of aquatic pollutants such as endocrine active compounds, and better assessment of seafood safety.
- (2014) Phenotypic characterization of a transgenic Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) expressing a red fluorescent protein in hepatocytes. Van Wettere AJ, Law JM, Hinton DE, Kullman SW | Toxicologic Pathology 42(3): 616-621.
- (2014) MJ. Nonlesions, misdiagnoses, missed diagnoses, and other interpretive challenges in fish histopathology studies: a guide for investigators, authors, reviewers, and readers.Wolf JC, Baumgartner WA, Blazer VS, Camus AC, Engelhardt JA, Fournie JW, Frasca S, Groman DB, Kent ML, Knoo LH,Law JM, Lombardini ED, Ruehl-Fehlert C, Segner HE, Smith SA, Spisbergen JM, Weber K, Wolfe | Toxicologic Pathology (published online 11 August 2014. DOI: 10.1177/0192623314540229).
- (2014) Operative factors associated with short-term outcome in horses with large colon volvulus: 47 cases from 2006 to 2013.Gonzalez LM, Fogle CA, Baker WT, Hughes FE, Law JM, Motsinger-Reif AA, Blikslager AT | Equine Vet J. 2014 Apr 15. doi: 10.1111/evj.12273. [Epub ahead of print]
- (2014) The effect of tramadol and indomethacin co-administration on gastric barrier function in dogs. Hill TL, Lascelles BD, Law JM, Blikslager AT | Journal of Internal Medicine 28(3): 793-798.
- (2013) Immunohistochemical characterization of the hepatic progenitor cell compartment in medaka (Oryzias latipes) following hepatic injury. Van Wettere AJ, Kullman SW, Hinton DE, Law M | Journal of Comparative Pathology 149(4): 434-445.
- (2013) Assessment of geographical variation in the respiratory toxicity of desert dust particles.Taylor K, Foster ML, Law JM, Centeno JA, Henderson Jr. MS, Trager SA, Stockelman MG, Dorman DC | Inhalation Toxicology 25(7): 405-416.
- (2013) Rapid decreases in salinity, but not increases, lead to immune dysregulation in Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus).Choi K, Cope WG, Harms CA, Law JM | Journal of Fish Diseases 36(4): 389-399.
- (2013) Repeated exposure of goldfish (Carassius auratus) to tricaine methanesulfonate (MS-222)LP Posner, GN Scott, JM Law | J Zoo Wildl Med 2013. 44(2): 340-347.
- (2012) Anchoring hepatic gene expression with development of fibrosis and neoplasia in a toxicant-induced fish model of liver injury.Van Wettere AJ, Law JM, Hinton DE, Kullman SW | Toxicologic Pathology: 1-17 http://tpx.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/11/28/0192623312464308
- (2012) Clinical and pathological effects of the polyopisthocotylean monogenean, Gamacallum macroura in white bass.Clarke EO, Harms CA, Law JM, Flowers JR, Williams VN, Ring BD, McGinty AS, Hopper M, Sullivan CV | Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 24(4): 251-257.
- (2012) Neoplastic and nonneoplastic liver lesions induced by dimethylnitrosamine in Japanese medaka fish.Hobbie KR, DeAngelo AB, George MH, Law JM | Veterinary Pathology 49: 372385.
- (2012) Necropsy or Autopsy? It's All About Communication! Law M, Stromberg P, Meuten D, Cullen J | Veterinary Pathology 49: 271--272.
- (2011) Clinical report: hyperplastic adipose lids in mackerel scad, Decapterus macarellus (Cuvier). Boylan SM, Harms CA, Waltzek T, Law JM, Garner M, Cassell J, Fatziner MH, Govett P | Journal of Fish Diseases 34(12): 921-925.
- (2011) Pathology in practice: oviduct adenocarcinoma.Tobias JR, Barnes HJ, Law JM | Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 239(8): 1065-1067.
- (2011) Two myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS) paralogs are required for normal development in zebrafish. Ott LE, McDowell ZT, Turner PM, Law JM, Adler KB, Yoder JA, Jones SL | Anatomical Record 294: 1511-1524.
- (2011) Assessing water quality suitability for shortnose sturgeon in the Roanoke River, North Carolina, USA with an in situ bioassay approach.Cope WG, Holliman FM, Kwak TJ, Oakley NC, Lazaro PR, Shea D, Augspurger T, Law JM, Henne JP, Ware KM | Journal of Applied Ichthyology 27: 112.
- (2011) Pseudosonsinotrema megalorchis n. sp. (Digenea: Pleurogenidae) from the Paramo Marsupial Frog, Gastrotheca pseustes (Anura: Hemiphractidae), Ecuador.Flowers JR, Law M, Carvajal-Endara S | Comparative Parasitology 78:15-20.
- (2010) Exposure to the synthetic FXR agonist GW4064 causes alterations in gene expression and sublethal hepatotoxicity in eleutheroembryo medaka (Oryzias latipes). Howarth DL, Law SHW, Law JM, Kullman SW, Hinton D | Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 243: 111-121.
- (2010) Evaluation of the relationship between lesions in the gastroduodenal region and cyclooxygenase expression in clinically normal dogs. Wooten JG, Lascelles BDX, Cook VL, Law JM, Blikslager AT | American Journal of Veterinary Research 71: 630-635.
- (2010) Gross and histological evaluation of five suture materials in the skin and subcutaneous tissue of the California Sea Hare (Aplysia californica). Anderson ET, Davis AS, Law JM, Lewbart GA, Christian LS, Harms CA | Journal of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science 49: 64-68. [Featured cover article]
- (2010) Expression of thioredoxin during progression of hamster and human cholangiocarcinoma. Yoon B-I, Kim Y-H, Yi J-Y, Kang M-S, Jang J-J, Joo K-H, Kim Y, Law JM, Kim D-Y | Cancer Science (official journal of the Japanese Cancer Association) 101: 281-288.
- (2009) Aquatic animal models of human disease: selected papers and recommendations from the 4th Conference.Hinton DE, Hardman RC, Kullman SW, Law JM, Schmale MC, Walter RB, Winn RN, Yoder JA | Biochemistry and Physiology: Toxicology & Pharmacology Part C 149: 121-128.
- (2009) Toward a molecular equivalent dose: use of the medaka model in comparative risk assessment. Hobbie KR, DeAngelo AB, Winn RN, Law JM | Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology: Toxicology & Pharmacology Part C 149: 141-151 (on-line: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpc.2008.07.013 ).
- (2009) Enhanced transcription of complement and coagulation genes in the absence of adaptive immunity. Jima DD, Shah RN, Orcutt TM, Joshi D, Law JM, Litman GW, Trede NS, Yoder JA | Molecular Immunology 46: 15051516.
- (2009) Characterizing eversion syndrome in captive scyphomedusa jellyfish. Freeman KS, Lewbart GA, Robarge WP, Harms CA, Law JM, Stoskopf MK | American Journal of Veterinary Research (in press).
- (2009) Finfish and aquatic invertebrate pathology resources for now and the future. Spitsbergen JM, Blazer VS, Bowser PR, Cheng KC, Cooper KR, Cooper TK, Frasca S, Groman DB, Harper CM, Law JM, Marty GD, Smolowitz RM, St. Leger J, Wolf DC, Wolf JC | Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology: Toxicology & Pharmacology Part C 149: 249-257.
- (2009) Recommendations for control of pathogens and infectious diseases in fish research facilities. Kent ML, Feist SW, Harper C, Hoogstraten-Miller S, Law JM, Sánchez-Morgado JM, Tanguay R, Sanders G, Spitsbergen J, Whipps CM | Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology: Toxicology & Pharmacology Part C 149: 240-248.
- (2008) Chapter 16: Mechanisms of Cell Death. Law M, Elmore S. | In: Molecular and Biochemical Toxicology, 4th Edition, RC Smart and E Hodgson (Eds.), John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, pp. 287-318.
- (2008) Cryotherapy for removal of a premaxillary mass from a chain pickerel using an over-the-counter wart remover. Harms CA, Christian LS, Burrus O, Hopkins WB, Pandiri AKR, Law JM, Wolf KN, Butler CM, Lewbart GA | Exotic DVM 10: 15-17.
- (2007) Multi-tiered health assessment of Atlantic menhaden in the Pamlico River, North Carolina.Johnson AK, Law JM, Harms CA, Levine JF. | J Aquat Anim Health 19: 205-214.
- (2007) Acute hypoxia triggers immunocompromise in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Choi K, Harms C, Lehmann DW, Law JM | Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 19: 128-140.
- (2007) Characterization of toxic effects of sediment-associated organic pollutants using the ? transgenic medaka. Cachot J, Law M, Pottier D, Peluhet L, Norris M, Budzinsk H, Winn R | Environmental Science and Technology 41: 7830-7836.
- (2006) Chapter 7: Bivalves. Levine JF, Law M, Corsin F. | In: Invertebrate Medicine, G. Lewbart (Ed.), Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa, pp. 91-115.
- (2006) Evaluation of the gross and histologic reactions to five commonly used suture materials in the skin of the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis).Tuttle AD, Law JM, Harms, CA, Lewbart GA, Harvey SB | J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 2006 Nov;45(6):22-6.