Barbara Sherman, MS, PhD, DVM
Clinical Professor, Veterinary Behavior
D.V.M.; College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
Ph.D.; Zoology (Animal Behavior), University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC.
M.S.; Biology, Towson University, Baltimore, MD.
A.B.; Liberal Arts, St. John’s College, Annapolis, MD.
Academic Appointments & Professional Experience:
--Clinical Professor, 2012-present, NC State University, Dept. of Clinical Sciences, Raleigh, NC
--Clinical Associate Professor, 2005-2012, NC State University, Dept. of Clinical Sciences, Raleigh, NC
--Adjunct Associate Professor, 1999-2005, NC State Univ., Dept. of Companion Animal and Special Species, Raleigh, NC
--Adjunct Assistant Professor, 1994-1999, NC State Univ., Dept. of Companion Animal and Special Species, Raleigh, NC
--Veterinary Behaviorist & Practice Owner, 1996-2006, The Veterinary Behavior Clinic, Southern Pines and Cary, NC
--Clinical Veterinarian, 1990-1995, Goshen Animal Hospital, Companion animal and equine practice, Goshen, KY & Southern Pines, NC
--Instructor of Biology, 1982-1985, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
AffiliationsAVMA, AVSAB, NCVMA
CertificationsDiplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB) and the American College of Animal Welfare (ACAW)
NeurobiologyModulation of anxiety, fear, and aggression in companion animals
- (2017) Endogenous Oxytocin, Vasopressin and Aggression in Domestic Dogs.MacLean EL, Gesquiere LR, Gruen ME, Sherman BL, Carter CS. | Psychoneuroendocrinology 2017, in submission.
- (2017) Drugs Affecting Animal BehaviorGruen ME, Sherman BL, Papich MG. | Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 10th edition (Rivier JE, Papich MG, editors), Ames IA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2017, in press.
- (2017) Wearing of a jacketed telemetry system affects behavior in the dog during an open field test.Fish RF, Foster ML, Gruen ME, Sherman BL, Dorman DC. | J Am Assoc Lab Anim, 2017, in press.
- (2016) The use of trazodone to reduce feline travel anxiety and improve veterinary exam tractabilityBrenda J. Stevens, DVM, DABVP (canine/feline); Eva Frantz, BS; Jillian M. Orlando, DVM; Emily Griffith, PhD; Lyndy Harden, BS; Margaret E. Gruen, DVM, MVPH, DACVB; Barbara L. Sherman, MS, PhD, DVM, DACVB, DACAW | JAVMA, Accepted for publication, 2016.
- (2016) Wearable Heart Rate Sensor Systems for Wireless Canine Health Monitoring.Brugarolas R, Latif R, Dieffenderfer J, Walker K, Yuschak S, Sherman B, Roberts D, Bozkurt | IEEE Sensors Journal, 2016;16(10):3454-3464. DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2015.2485210
- (2016) Balancing Noise Sensitivity, Response Latency, and Posture Accuracy for a Computer-Assisted Canine Posture Training System.Majikes J, Brugarolas R, Winters M, Yuschak S, Mealin S, Walker K, Yang P, Bozkurt A, Sherman B, Roberts D. | International Journal of Human-Computer Studies Special Issue on Animal-Computer Interaction, 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.04.010
- (2016) Efficacy of a single dose of trazodone hydrochloride for reducing signs of transport-associated anxiety in cats and facilitating handling during veterinary examinations.Stevens BJ, Frantz E, Orlando JM, Griffith E, Harden L, Gruen ML, Sherman BL | J Am Vet Med Assoc, 2016;249:202-207.
- (2016) Use of oral trazodone for sedation in cats: a pilot study,Orlando J, Case B, Thomson A, Griffith E, Sherman B. | J Feline Med Surg 2016;18(6):476-482.
- (2015) Aggression, Overview--Dogs,Sherman BL. | In The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult, Canine and Feline Fourth Edition (Tilly LP and Smith FWK, editors), Ames IA: Blackwell Publishing, 2007:48-51.
- (2015) Housesoiling in CatsSherman BL. | In The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult, Canine and Feline Fourth Edition (Tilly LP and Smith FWK, editors) Ames IA: Blackwell Publishing, 2007;634-637.
- (2015) Olfactory Discrimination and generalization of ammonium nitrate and structurally related odorants in Labrador retrievers.Lazarowski L, Foster ML, Gruen ME, Sherman BL, Fish RE, Milgram NW, Dorman DC. | Anim Cog 2015;18:1255-1265.
- (2015) Olfactory Discrimination Task in Dogs Using a Two-choice Operant Conditioning ProcedureLazarowski L, Foster ML, Gruen ME, Sherman BL, Fish RE, Milgram NW, Dorman DC. | Anim Cog 2015;18:1255-1285.
- (2015) The Use of an Open Field Model to Assess Sound-Induced Fear and Anxiety Associated Behaviors in Labrador Retrievers.Gruen ME, Case BC, Foster ML, Lazarowski L, Fish RE, Landsberg G, DePuy V, Dorman CD, Sherman BL. | J Vet Behav 2015;10:338-345
- (2015) A Test for the Evaluation of Emotional Reactivity in Labrador Retrievers Used for Explosives DetectionSherman BL, Gruen ME, Case BC, Foster ML, | J Vet Behav 2015;10:94-102.
- (2014) Towards Cyber-Enhanced Working Dogs for search and Rescue.Bozkurt A, Roberts DL, Sherman BL, Brugarolas R, Mealin S, Majikes J, Yang P, Loftein R. | IEEE Intell Syst 2014:29:32-39.
- (2014) The use of trazodone to facilitate post-surgical confinement in dogs.Gruen ME, Roe S, Griffith E, Hamilton A, Sherman BL | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2014; 245:296-301.
- (2014) Preface. Decoding Your Dog.Sherman BL. | New York;Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014:xvii-xviii.
- (2014) Acquisition of a visual discrimination and reversal learning task by Labrador retrievers.Lazarowski L, Foster ML, Gruen ME, Sherman BL, Case BC, Fish RE, Milgram NW, Dorman DC. | Anim Cogn 2014. 17(3):787-92.
- (2013) The use of a T-maze to measure cognitive-motor function in cats (Felis catus).Sherman BL, Gruen ME, Meeker RB, Milgram B, DiRivera C, Thomson A, Clary G, Hudson L. | Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. 2012; in press.
- (2013) Conditioning laboratory cats to handling and transport.Gruen ME, Thomson A, Clary G, Hamilton A, Hudson L, Meeker R, Sherman B. | Lab Animal 2013:42:385-389.
- (2013) The use of oral transmucosal detomidine hydrochloride gel to facilitate handling in dogsHopfensperger M, Messinger K, Papich M, Sherman B. | J Vet Behav 2013;9:114-123.
- (2012) Animal Behavior Case of the Month: Thunderstorm Phobia in a Golden RetrieverGruen ME, Sherman BL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:1293-1295.
- (2011) Equine behavior problem around farriery: foot pain in 11 horses,Mansmann RA, Currie MC, Correa MT, Sherman BL, vom Orde K. | Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 2011;31:44-48.
- (2011) Compulsive Disorders in CatsSherman BL. | In The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult, Canine and Feline Fourth Edition (Tilly LP and Smith FWK, editors) Ames IA: Blackwell Publishing, 2007;276-277.
- (2010) Pets: Behavior and Welfare Assessment,Sherman BL. | In Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior (Breed MD, Moore J, editors), Academic Press, Oxford, 2010;v2:691-698.
- (2009) Drugs Affecting Animal Behavior,Sherman BL, Papich M. | In Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 9th edition (Papich MG, Rivier JE, editors), Ames IA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009;509-538.
- (2008)Training veterinary students in animal behavior to preserve the human-animal bond.Sherman BL, Serpell JA. | Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 2008;35(4):496-502.
- (2008) Use of trazodone as an adjunctive agent in the treatment of canine anxiety disorders: 56 Cases (1995-2007)Gruen ME, Sherman BL. | Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2008;233(12):1902-1907.
- (2008) Canine anxieties and phobias: an update on separation anxiety and noise aversions.Sherman BL, Mills DS. | Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2008;38(5):1081-1106.
- (2008) Separation anxiety in dogs.Sherman BL. | The Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian 2008;30(1):27-42.
- (2008) Effectiveness of fluoxetine chewable tablets in the treatment of canine separation anxiety;Landsberg GM, Melese P, Sherman BL et al. | Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research 2008;3(1):12-19.
- (2008) Fears and phobias.Sherman BL, Mansmann RA. | In Blackwells Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Equine. (Lavoie J-P, Hinchcliff KW, editors), Ames IA:Wiley-Blackwell, 2008;310-312.
- (2007) Effects of Reconcile (fluoxetine) chewable tablets plus behavior management for canine separation anxiety,Simpson BS, Landsberg GM, Reisner IR, et al. | Veterinary Therapeutics 2007;8(1):18-31.
- (2007) Psychotropic medications in the treatment of feline urine spraying,Simpson BS. | International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 2007;11(1):44-48
- (2004) Determination of the dosage of clomipramine for the treatment of urine spraying in cats.King JN, Steffan J, Heath SE, Simpson BS, Crowell-Davis SL, Harrington LJM, Weiss A-B, Seewald W. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;225:881-887.
- (2004) Results of a follow-up investigation to a clinical trial testing the efficacy of clomipramine in the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs.King JN, Overall KL, Appleby D, Simpson BS, Beata C, Chaurand CJP, Heath SE, Ross C, Weiss AB, Muller G, Bataille BG, Paris T, Pageat P, Brovedani F, Garden C, Petit S. | Appl Anim Behav Sci, 2004;89:233-242.
- (2003) Pharmacologic management in veterinary behavioral medicineSimpson BS, Papich MG. | Vet Clin N Am-Small 2003;33(2):365-404.
- (2002) Fears and Phobias. Simpson BS. | The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult Equine. (Brown CM, Bertone JJ, editors) Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia PA. 2002;410-413.
- (2002) Neonatal foal handling.Simpson BS. | Appl Anim Behav Sci 2002;78:303-317.
- (2001) The use of psychoactive agents in veterinary medicine.Simpson BS. | International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 2001;5:86-88.
- (2000) Treatment of separation anxiety in dogs with clomipramine: results from a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multicenter clinical trial.King JN, Simpson BS, Overall KL et al. | Appl Anim Behav Sci 2000;67:255-275.
- (2000) Canine separation anxiety.Simpson BS. | The Compendium for Continuing Education 2000;22:328-339.
To CVM Students, Grandin Stresses Understanding Animal BehaviorIn an irreverently insightful lunchtime lecture on Tuesday, world-renowned animal behaviorist Temple Grandin shared observations with...
Temple Grandin to Visit CVM, NC StateGrandin is scheduled to give a talk, “Different Kinds of Mind Contribute to Society,” at 7 p.m. Jan 10 at Hunt Library. The talk is free and open to the public, but registration is required...
A Complete Change of HeartLeah Dey freely admits that there was a time when she didn’t really like cats. Of course that was years ago, and my, how things have changed...
Keeping Pets Stress-free for the HolidaysWhether you’re hosting a Thanksgiving dinner or throwing a holiday party with a group of 50 friends, pets may be confused...
NC State College of Veterinary Medicine Behaviorist Urges Awareness to Protect Children from Dog BitesUnderstanding dog body language is an important way to avoid dog bites. Often, dogs use body language and vocalizations to express that they feel anxious, afraid or threatened. Dogs may wag their tails when...
CVM Professor Recipient of NC State Libraries Faculty AwardThe annual award, established in commemoration of the library’s centennial year in 1989, enables the library to recognize the NC State faculty member who has...
Why Do Cats Purr? NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine Behavior Expert Explains
The following article by correspondent Marla Vacek Broadfoot appears in the Science & Technology section of the July 30, 2012 issue of the Raleigh News & Observer. Dr. Barbara Sherman is the director of the Behavioral Medicine Service at the NC State University Veterinary Health Complex. Here she explains the science behind those characteristic rumblings of our feline