He came to NCSU in 1989, leaving his tenured position in the School of Medicine at Johns Hopkins, to accept the role of Department Head of Companion Animal and Special Species, now known as the Department of Clinical Sciences. He now directs the Environmental Medicine Consortium at NCSU and participates actively in the inter-college Fisheries and Wildlife and Marine Sciences programs. He is a professor of wildlife and aquatic health in the Department of Clinical Sciences with appointments in Forestry, Biomedical Engineering, and Toxicology. He is the Zoological Focus Leader and teaches extensively in core, selective and elective courses in the DVM curriculum and graduate courses in Fisheries Wildlife and Conservation Biology.
His research focuses on population, ecosystem and landscape approaches to health management of wildlife species broadly defined to include aquatic and marine species including invertebrates and vertebrates. Most of the graduate students in his laboratory are focused on the application of advanced NMR/MRI/S techniques to key questions in ecological metabolomics, primarily related to impacts of global change. Impacts of temperature and ocean acidification on physiology are of particular interest as well as habitat health risk assessment questions primarily for endangered species recovery decision making. He is also active in collaborations looking at genomic tools for evaluating conservation strategies. He is an active in the NCSU Center for Marine Sciences and Technology, the Institute for Comparative Medicine and the NCSU Climate Science Center. His clinical efforts assist in the health management of captive and free-ranging wildlife and fisheries stocks. Current projects include development of a marine magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy facility on the coast, and reintroduction implementation for several endangered species including the red wolf and the Wyoming toad.
AffiliationsAmerican Veterinary Medical Association: Euthanasia Guidelines Working Group
American College of Zoological Medicine (ABVS-AVMA): President 1995 - 1997; Ad Hoc Core Curriculum Committee (chair) 1998-
American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
Academy of Zoo Medicine: Chairman 1979-1985
International Association of Aquatic Animal Medicine: President - 1988-89
European Association for Aquatic Mammals
American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians
Marine Mammal Society
Wildlife Disease Association
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Zoological Medicine
PharmacologyEnvironmental medicine applied to wildlife, health risk assessment, lipid biochemistry, paleoecology
- (2016) Effect of water temperature on the hydrolysis of two absorbable sutures used in fish surgery.Cannizzo SA, Roe, SC, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. | FACETS 2016 May; 1:44-54.
- (2016) Calcium urolithiasis in a breeding population of Southern flounder (Paralichthys lethostigma) housed in a low salinity environment.Applegate J JR, Lewbart GA, Daniels H, Gill A, Stoskopf MK. | Veterinary Q 2016; 36(1):50-54.
- (2016) Comparison of hematology, plasma biochemistry, and blood gas parameters between two venipuncture sites in southern stingrays (Dasyatis americana).Phillips BE, Christiansen EF, Stoskopf MK, Broadhurst H, George R. Harms CA. | Vet Clin Path, 45: 627-633
- (2015) Key metabolites in tissue extracts of Elliptio complanata using 1H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.Hurley-Sanders, JL, Levine, JF, Tikunov, AP, Macdonald, J, Nelson, SAC, Showers, W, Stoskopf, M | Conservation Physiology 3: 10.1093/conphys/cov023
- (2015) Tissue extraction methods for metabolic profiling of a freshwater bivalve, Elliptio complanata.Hurley-Sanders, JL, Stoskopf, M, Nelson, SAC, Showers, W, Law, JM, Gracz HS, Levine, JF | American Malacological Bulletin 33:1-10.
- (2015) Niemuth JN, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. 2015. Effects of processing time on whole blood and plasma samples from loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) for 1H-NMR-based metabolomics.Niemuth JN, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK | Herp Cons Biol 10: 149-160.
- (2014) Hepatic Metabolomic Investigation of the North American Black Bear (Ursus americanus) Using 1H-NMR Spectroscopy.Niemuth JN, Stoskopf MK. | Wildlife Biology in Practice 2014 May; 10(1): 14-23.
- (2014) Fluxomics of the Eastern Oyster for Environmental Stress Studies.Tikunov AP, Stoskopf MK, Macdonald JM. | Metabolites 2014 Jan 7; 4(1):53-70.
- (2014) Nephrolithiasis in Free-Ranging Lontra canadensis in North Carolina, USA.Niemuth JN, Sanders C, Mooney CB, Deperno C, Stoskopf MK. | Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 2014; 45(1):110-117.
- (2014) Sedation of red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) and black sea bass (Centropristis striata) using ketamine, dexmedetomidine and midazolam delivered via intramuscular injection.Christiansen EF, Mitchell JM, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. | J Zoo Aquarium Res 2: 62-68. http://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/download/41/34 (cover photo)
- (2014) Evaluation of the injectable anesthetic, alphaxalone, as a single agent and in combination with ketamine, xylazine, and morphine in the chilean rose tarantula, Grammostola roseaJ Gjeltema, LP Posner, M Stoskopf | J Zoo Wildl Med 45(4):792-801. 2014.
- (2013) Overview of Marine Mammals.Stoskopf MK. | The Merck Veterinary Manual Eleventh Edition
- (2013) Hematology and Plasma Biochemical Values for Free Ranging Cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorus) in Central North Carolina.Minter LJ, Dombrowski DS, Stoskopf MK, Purnell CA, Loomis MR, De Voe RS. | Herpetological Conservation and Biology September 2013; 8(2):321-334.
- (2013) Habitat, Wildlife and One Health: Arcanobacterium pyogenes in Maryland and Upper Eastern Shore White-tailed Deer Populations.Turner MM, DePerno CS, Conner MC, Stoskopf MK, Eyler TB, Lancia RA. | Infection Ecology & Epidemiology 2013; 3:19175.
- (2013) Pre- and post-surgical evaluation of bearded dragons undergoing sterilization.Christiansen EF, Stoskopf MK, Harms CA. | J Herp Med Surg 23: 83-90.
- (2012) Suspected lead toxicosis in an electric eel, Electrophorus electricus (L.).Minter LJ, Stoskopf MK, Serrano M, Burrus O, Lewbart GA. | J Fish Dis 2012 Aug;35(8):603-6. Epub 2012 May 21.
- (2010) Hematology, plasma biochemistry, and tissue enzyme activities of invasive lionfish (Pterois volitans) off North Carolina, USA.Anderson ET, Stoskopf MK, Morris JA, Clarke EO, Harms CA. | J Aquat Anim Health 22: 266-273.
- (2009) Characterizing eversion syndrome in captive scyphomedusa jellyfish.Freeman KS, Lewbart GA, Robarge WP, Harms CA, Law M, Stoskopf MK. | Am J Vet Res 70: 1087-1093.
- (2009) Characterization of eversion syndrome in captive Scyphomedusa jellyfish.Freeman KS, Lewbart GA, Robarge WP, Harms CA, Law JM, Stoskopf MK. | Am J Vet Res 2009 Sep;70(9):1087-93.
- (2007) Outcomes for adult laboratory ferret adoptions following gonadectomy in a veterinary student teaching exercise.Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. | J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 46(4): 50-54.
- (2006) Relationship between barnacle epibiotic load and hematologic parameters in loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta), a comparison between migratory and residential animals in Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.Stamper MA, Harms CA, Epperly SP, Braun-McNeill J, Avens L, Stoskopf MK. | J Zoo Wildl Med 36: 635-641.
- (2006) Percutaneous malathion absorption in the harvested perfused anuran pelvic limb.Willens S, Stoskopf MK, Baynes RE, Lewbart GA, Taylor SK, Kennedy-Stoskopf S | Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 2006 Nov;22(3):263-7. Epub 2006 Jun 10.
- (2006) Percutaneous malathion absorption by anuran skin in flow-through diffusion cells.Willens S, Stoskopf MK, Baynes RE, Lewbart GA, Taylor SK, Kennedy-Stoskopf S. | Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 2006 Nov;22(3):255-62. Epub 2006 Jun 10.
- (2006) Measurements of common iliac arterial blood flow in anurans using Doppler ultrasound.Willens S, Dupree SH, Stoskopf MK, Lewbart GA. | J Zoo Wildl Med 2006 Jun;37(2):97-101.
- (2005) Viability of glycerol-preserved and cryopreserved anuran skin.Willens S, Stoskopf MK, Martin LD, Lewbart GA. | In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2005 Sep-Oct;41(8-9):258-63.
- (2003) Pharmacokinetics of florfenicol in Loggerhead Sea Turtles (Caretta caretta) After Single Intravenous and Intramuscular Injections.Stamper MA, Papich MG, Lewbart GA, May SB, Plummer DD, Stoskopf MK. | J Zoo Wildl Med 2003 Mar;34(1):3-8.
- (2001) Comparative efficacy of tricaine methanesulfonate and clove oil for use as anesthetics in red pacu (Piaractus brachypomus).Sladky KK, Swanson CR, Stoskopf MK, Loomis MR, Lewbart GA. | Am J Vet Res 2001 Mar;62(3):337-42.
- (2000) Evaluation of epidural morphine for post-surgical analgesia in ferrets (Mustela putorius furo).Sladky KK, Horne WA, Goodrowe KL, Stoskopf MK, Loomis MR, Harms CA. | Contemp Topics Lab Anim Med 39 (6): 33-38.
- (1999) Sinus venosus catheterization for repeated vascular access in the hybrid striped bass.Bakal RS, Harms CA, Khoo LH, Stoskopf MK. | J Aquat Anim Health 11: 187-191.
- (1998) Pharmacokinetics of oxytetracycline in the red pacu (Colossoma brachypomum) following different routes of administration.Doi AM, Stoskopf MK, Lewbart GA. | J Vet Pharmacol Ther 1998 Oct;21(5):364-8.
- (1998) Eimeria southwelli Infection Associated with High Mortality of Cownose Rays.Stamper MA, Lewbart GA, Barrington PR, Harms CA, Geoly F, Stoskopf MK. | J Aquat Anim Health September 1998; 10(3): 264-270.
- (1997) A technique for dorsal subcutaneous implantation of heart rate biotelemetry transmitters in black ducks: application to an aircraft noise response study.Harms CA, Fleming WJ, Stoskopf MK. | Condor 99: 231-237.
- (1997) Hematologic study of red pacu (Colossoma brachypomum).Tocidlowski ME, Lewbart GA, Stoskopf MK. | Vet Clin Pathol 1997;26(3):119-125.
- (1996) Radiographic and ultrasonographic evaluation of egg retention and peritonitis in two green iguanas (iguana iguana).Love NE, Douglass JP, Lewbart GA, Stoskopf M. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound Jan 1996; 37(1):68-73.
Alumni Voice: What Zoological Medicine at the CVM Meant to Me
As chief veterinarian at the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, S.C., Shane Boylan (DVM, ’05) treats some of the world’s most amazing marine animals, including sea turtles impacted by oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and loggerheads in need of rehabilitation at the aquarium’s Sea Turtle Care Center. As a student at the NC