2018 North Carolina Workshop in Laboratory Animal Medicine
May 17 – 20, 2018
The course is appropriate for veterinarians specializing in laboratory animal medicine, especially those preparing for ACLAM board certification.
The symposium will present relevant topics in Laboratory Animal Medicine with an emphasis on the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) primary species and recent literature. Registration for the workshop is required.
The slide collection established by the team at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) will be available for review electronically. This collection includes biology and diseases of many laboratory animal species. Group or individual review of these sets will be available in the NCSU Veterinary Medicine Library. The library will be open May 17th -20th.
The ACLAM Mock Exam by the International Mock ACLAM Exam Coalition will be given on Saturday, May 19th, is open to all interested individuals and does not require registration to the symposium. Anyone wishing to attend only the mock exam should contact David Kurtz directly at email@example.com.
This course offers 12 hours each of continuing veterinary medical education for veterinarians by the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board. Full attendance is required to receive total CVME credit.
Location & Lodging
A block of 40 rooms will be reserved at the Ramada Inn off of 1520 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC, (919) 832-4100. The special room rate is $69.00 + tax, which includes a complimentary breakfast buffet. Reference the group code GCLABMED18 when making your reservation in order to get the discounted rate. The deadline for this rate is May 2, 2018.
For other hotels and area information, visit: https://cvm.ncsu.edu/education/continuing-education/housing-and-transportation/
- No one will be admitted into the workshop without a paid registration.
- All attendees should have a government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc.).
- All course handouts will be provided electronically. Attendees are encouraged to bring a device capable of opening PDF or Word documents (e.g., laptop computer, tablet).
- The NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine is a short 3 minute walk from the adjacent hotel (Ramada Inn). Please refer to campus map. The Ramada Inn is seen at the far left of the map.
- The workshop will be held in South Theater, there will be signs to direct you to the room. Please enter the building through the “Main CVM Entrance” of the main CVM Building at the South end near the new Terry Center.
- The Veterinary Medicine Library is located in the South end of the CVM Building (far left) near the South Theater.
- Limited parking for the workshop will be available with permit in the parking deck located behind the Research Building. You may request a parking permit when registering for the course. Free parking is available at the Ramada and at the State Fairgrounds lot located across Blue Ridge Rd. (refer to map).
Full refunds will be granted for notices received in writing by seven days prior to the course. After that time, there will be a 25% cancellation fee. No refunds will be granted after the course has begun.
|7:30A - 9:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|7:30A - 8:00A||Registration & Coffee|
|8:00A - 8:30A||Welcome||David Kurtz, DVM, PhD, DACLAM - National Institute for Environmental Health Science|
|8:30A - 9:30A||NIH Guidelines & the IBC||Victoria Baxter, DVM, PhD, DACLAM - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|9:30A - 9:45A||Break|
|9:45A - 10:45A||The Laboratory Mouse||Kathleen Pritchett-Corning, DVM, DACLAM - Harvard University|
|10:45A - 11:45A||Reptiles and Amphibians||Dorcas O'Rourke, DVM, MS, DACLAM - East Carolina University|
|11:45A - 1:00P||Lunch - Optional Equipment Quiz||David Kurtz - NIEHS|
|1:00P - 2:00P||The Laboratory Dog||Jacquelyn Tubbs, DVM, DACLAM - Duke University|
|2:00P - 3:00P||The Laboratory Pig||Paula Ezell, DVM, DACLAM - Intuitive Surgical, Inc.|
|3:00P - 3:15P||Break|
|3:15P - 4:15P||Understanding CRISPR/Cas Technologies||Rodolphe Barrangou, PhD - North Carolina State University|
|4:15P - 5:15P||Comparative Medicine Lit review||Douglas Taylor, DVM, DACLAM - Emory University|
|7:30A - 6:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|8:30A - 9:00A||Coffee|
|9:00A - 10:00A||NHP - Secondary Species||Saverio "Buddy" Capuano, DVM, DACLAM - Wisconsin National Primate Research Center|
|10:00A - 10:15A||Break|
|10:15A - 11:15A||Imaging on Laboratory Animals||Hong Yuan, PhD - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|11:15A - 12:15P||Laws & Regulations in Animal Research||Anna Hampton, DVM, DACLAM, DACAW, CPIA - Duke University|
|12:15P - 2:00P||Lunch and Tours|
|2:00P - 3:00P||JAALAS Literature Review||Sheba Churchill, DVM, DACLAM - Charles River Laboratories/National Toxicology Program|
|3:00P - 4:00P||Gnotobiotics||Allison Rogala, DVM, DACLAM - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|4:00P - 4:15P||Break|
|4:15P - 5:00P||Acronyms & Logos Quiz (Optional)||David Kurtz - NIEHS|
|1:00P - 5:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|7:30A - 8:00A||Coffee|
|8:00A - 12:00P||Mock ACLAM Exam|
|12:00P - 1:00P||Lunch|
|1:00P - 3:30P||Mock ACLAM Exam Review|
NCSU Veterinary Medicine Library open Sunday, May 20th from 1:00PM – 5:00PM
$350 – Veterinarians
$50 – Veterinary Students
Registration fees will include:
- Admission to the workshop
- Electronic copies of course handouts
- Continuing Education (CE) credits from the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board
- Electronic access to the NIEHS Comparative Medicine slide sets
- Continental breakfast, lunch, and refreshment breaks
Attendees may request printed copies of the course handouts (black & white only) for an additional cost of $25. This request must be made in advance and the fee must be paid at the time of registration.
Online Registration is now closed.