Center for Comparative Medicine and Translational Research
Research Core: Emerging Infectious and Zoonotic Diseases
This core uses an integrated approach to achieve a better understanding of infectious diseases in the area of One Health. Focus areas include molecular pathogenesis, antibiotic resistance, microbial diversity, pathogen detection, therapeutics and vaccines, and the effects of the environment on infectious disease. The goal of this core is to integrate basic and clinical research to investigate infectious diseases of companion and production animals, and to exploit animal models of human disease.
Specific areas of research include:
- Development of molecular diagnostic tools for bacterial and rickettsial organisms.
- Study of the molecular basis of virulence among infectious agents.
- Improved biosecurity against infectious diseases in production animals.
- Advances in molecular epidemiology for the detection and spread of pathogens.
- Study of the basis and spread of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria.
- Vaccine development.