The Annual CVM Research Forum sponsored by the Faculty Committee on Research is scheduled for Friday, September 22nd at the CVM. The forum will be followed by an awards ceremony.
The forum includes the Litwack Lecture, given annually in honor of the late Dr. Martin Litwack, a Raleigh veterinarian and an early advocate of the College of Veterinary Medicine. This year’s lecture will be presented by Dr. Roeland Nusse, Virginia and Daniel K. Ludwig Professor in Cancer Research and Professor of Developmental Biology at Stanford Bio-X. Dr. Nusse was awarded the 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for his contributions to the understanding a signaling molecule called Wnt.
The Research Forum will include three levels of participation:
- A poster session, open to DVM students, graduate students, house officers, and staff.
- Oral presentations by DVM students, graduate students/house officers, and staff.
- First Annual Research Image Competition – Do you have a scientific image that is beautiful enough to share? Enter your science images in the Research Image Competition at the CVM Litwack Research Day! Images will be enlarged and displayed on Research Day, and winners will be selected by popular vote (fan favorites). The rules are simple:
– All types of images are welcome – microscopy, protein structure predictions, western blots, clinical photos – anything that you think is visually appealing and is/was part of a research study
– Everyone is eligible to submit – students, house officers, post docs, staff, faculty
– The only restriction is that the image must be yours and associated with a past or present research study
CVM faculty will judge poster & oral presentation sessions. Prizes for oral and poster categories will be awarded as follows:
- The top 2 posters, oral presentations will receive a Top Honor award – $150 each.
- The next 2 posters and oral presentations will receive an Honorable Mention award – $75 each.
Oral presentations will be limited to 10 minutes (eight minutes for presentation and two minutes for questions). Presentations will be strictly timed to ensure that all are completed in a reasonable time frame. Poster presentations will be on display all day at the Research Forum. Poster presentations must be set up by 5:00pm on Thursday, September 21st. All CVM faculty are asked to attend.
Schedule of Events
|8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Coffee & Bagels||D-239/Green Commons|
|8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Oral Presentations||D-239|
|8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Oral Presentations||North Theater|
|9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||CVM Research Image Competition||CVM lobbies|
|10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.||House Officer/Graduate Student Posters Judged||Green Commons|
|11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||Lunch (provided by vendors & sponsors)||Blue Commons|
|12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.||DVM Student Posters Judged||Green Commons|
|1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Oral Presentations||North Theater|
|1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.||Oral Presentations||D-239|
|3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.||Faculty Team Science Abstract Competition||North Theater|
|4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Litwack Lecture – Dr. Roeland Nusse||North Theater|
|5:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.||Awards Ceremony (awards presented by Dr. Nusse)||North Theater|