Registration Fee: $300 ($350 after April 1, 2020)
The annual North Carolina Workshop in Laboratory Animal Medicine is appropriate for veterinarians specializing in laboratory animal medicine, especially those preparing for ACLAM board certification.
This year’s workshop will take place May 14-16, and will present relevant topics in laboratory animal medicine with an emphasis on the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) primary species and recent literature. Registration for the workshop is required.
The slide collection established by the team at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) will be available for review electronically. This collection includes biology and diseases of many laboratory animal species. Group or individual review of these sets will be available in the NC State Veterinary Medicine Library. The library will be open May 14th-17th (see workshop schedule for hours).
A social event will take place on Thursday, May 14, 2020 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM at the NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine and is included in the registration fee.
The ACLAM Mock Exam by the International Mock ACLAM Exam Coalition will be given on Saturday, May 16th, and is open to all interested individuals. Workshop registration is not required to participate in the mock exam. Anyone wishing to attend only the mock exam should contact David Kurtz directly at email@example.com.
Location & Lodging
The workshop will take place at the NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine. A block of 40 rooms will be reserved at the Ramada Raleigh, located at 1520 Blue Ridge Road (directly next door to the NCSU-CVM). The nightly hotel rate is $69.00 + tax, which includes complimentary breakfast. Please call (919) 832-4100 and reference the group code GCLABMED to make your reservation at the discounted rate. The deadline for this rate is May 1, 2020.
For other hotels and area information, visit: https://cvm.ncsu.edu/outreach/continuing-education/housing-and-transportation/
- No one will be admitted into the workshop without a paid registration.
- All attendees should have a government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc.).
- All course handouts will be provided electronically. Attendees are encouraged to bring a device capable of opening PDF or Word documents (e.g. laptop or tablet).
- The Mock Exam will only be provided electronically. Exam participants must have a device capable of opening PDF or Word documents (e.g. laptop or tablet).
- The Veterinary Medicine Library is located in the CVM Main Building.
- Limited parking for the workshop will be available with permit in the parking deck on campus. You may request a parking permit when registering for the course. Individuals staying at the Ramada Raleigh are encouraged to leave their car parked at the Ramada and walk over to campus (a short 3 minute walk).
|7:30A - 9:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|7:30A - 8:00A||Registration & Coffee|
|8:00A - 8:30A||Welcome||David Kurtz, DVM, PhD, DACLAM - National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)|
|8:30A - 9:30A||Understanding the Microbiome||Allison Rogala, DVM, DACLAM - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|9:30A - 10:30A||Comparative Medicine Review||Jem Scott-Emuakpor, DVM, DACLAM - Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Durham, NC)|
|10:30A - 10:45A||Break|
|10:45A - 11:45A||The Laboratory Zebrafish||Marcus Crim, DVM, MBA, MS, DACLAM - IDEXX BioAnalytics|
|11:45A - 1:00P||Lunch - Optional Equipment Quiz||David Kurtz - NIEHS|
|1:00P - 2:00P||The AG Guide||Gabe McKeon, DVM, DACLAM - North Carolina State University|
|2:00P - 3:00P||NHP - 2° Species||Jack Dutton, DVM, DACLAM - Southwest National Primate Research Center|
|3:00P - 3:15P||Break|
|3:15P - 4:15P||Animal Behavior||Christina Winnicker, DVM, MPH, DACLAM - Columbia University|
|4:15P - 5:15P||Biocontainment & Biosafety||Stephen Harvey, DVM, MS, DACLAM - University of Georgia at Athens|
|5:30P - 7:30P||Social Event at NCSU-CVM (heavy hors d'oeuvres, beer and wine)|
|7:30A - 6:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|7:30A - 8:00A||Coffee|
|8:00A - 9:00A||The Laboratory Mouse||Mathias Leblanc, DVM, PhD, DACLAM - Duke University|
|9:00A - 10:00A||2019 JAALAS Review||Sara Andux, DVM, DACLAM - SoBran, Inc.|
|10:00A - 10:15A||Break|
|10:15A - 11:15A||The Laboratory Pig||Michelle Creamer-Hente, DVM, MS, DACLAM - Synchrony Labs|
|11:15A - 12:15P||Guinea Pig, Hamster & Gerbil||Marnie Metzler, DVM, PhD, DACLAM - Insourcing Solutions (Charles River Laboratories)|
|12:15P - 1:45P||Lunch and Optional Tours|
|1:45P - 2:45P||Laws & Regulations||Anna Hampton, DVM, DACLAM, DACAW, CPIA - Duke University|
|2:45P - 3:45P||The Laboratory Dog||Kyha Williams, DVM, DACLAM - Duke University|
|3:45P - 4:00P||Break|
|4:00P - 5:00P||Acronyms & Logos Quiz (Optional)||David Kurtz - NIEHS|
|1:00P - 5:00P||NCSU-CVM Library Hours|
|7:30A - 8:00A||Coffee|
|8:00A - 12:00P||Mock ACLAM Exam|
|12:00P - 1:00P||Lunch|
|1:00P - 3:30P||Mock ACLAM Exam Review|
NCSU Veterinary Medicine Library open Sunday, May 17th from 1:00PM – 5:00PM
Registration fees are as follows:
- Veterinarians – $300 (price will increase to $350 after April 1, 2020)
- Veterinary Students – $50
- Printed Course Handouts (black & white only) – $25 (must be ordered in advance of the workshop and paid for at registration)
Registration fees include:
- Admission to the workshop
- Electronic copies of course handouts
- 13 Continuing Education (CE) credits from the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board (full attendance required to receive the total CE credit)
- Electronic access to the NIEHS Comparative Medicine slide sets
- Continental breakfasts, lunches, refreshment breaks and a social event on Thursday evening
Full refunds will be granted for notices received in writing by seven days prior to the course. After that time, there will be a 25% cancellation fee. No refunds will be granted after the course has begun.