As disaster response efforts continue within the wide swath of areas affected by Hurricane Dorian, relief efforts are underway for people and animals impacted by the storm. There are several ways you can help.
- A donation to the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine’s Disaster Relief Fund supports animals that have been rescued and sheltered.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association assists veterinarians aiding disaster relief.
- The Humane Society of the United States helps animals in emergency situations.
- The Best Friends disaster relief fund helps the organization’s efforts to transport and treat companion animals at shelters along the Northeast.
- Wings of Rescue transports at-risk shelter pets from disaster areas to shelters with empty kennel spaces.
- The American Kennel Club has several different funds, including a pet disaster relief trailer fund. and an AKC reunite disaster fund.
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is accepting donations to help its work flying at-risk animals to safety, working with Wings of Rescue.
- Several groups have joined forces with the Bahamas Humane Society for animal relief efforts.
- The National Disaster Search Dog Foundation has deployed response teams.
- The North Shore Animal League, which sent a rescue team to the Outer Banks, has compiled a list of shelters in need.
GENERAL RELIEF EFFORTS
- UNICEF USA For Bahamas
- American Red Cross
- Team Rubicon Disaster Response
- Mercy Corps
- GlobalGiving Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund
~Jordan Bartel/NC State Veterinary Medicine