As disaster response efforts continue for areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma relief efforts are still underway for animals impacted by the storm. There are several ways you can help.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association assists veterinarians aiding disaster relief and works directly with government agencies to get timely and important information to those affected by natural disasters. You can give directly to AVFMF.org/Donate using the code “Disaster Relief.”
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is accepting donations for its Field Investigation and Response Fund which on the ground in the wake of Irma.
- The Best Friends Animal Society is collecting donations for both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma relief.
- The Humane Society’s Disaster Relief Fund continues to help animals in need in Texas and is assisting with Hurricane Irma relief.
- Wings of Rescue is conducting daily Harvey and Irma relief flights. Pilots N Paws has a team of volunteer pilots and plane owners assisting with animal rescues.
- The American Kennel Club’s Reunite Canine Support and Relief Fund provides care for animals orphaned or displaced during natural disasters.
- The National Disaster Search Dog Foundation has search teams deployed in Florida and Texas.
- RedRover provides emergency shelter assistance to displaced animals.
- Our list of disaster tips for pet owners can be found here.
- Our comprehensive list of disaster preparedness and response resources — as well as links to North Carolina-based relief organizations — can be found here.
~Jordan Bartel/NC State Veterinary Medicine