Veterinarians: Emergency & Critical Care Resources
Click on the name of file to access. Once you click on the desired file name below, click on the symbol in the upper right hand corner of your screen to download native file. Excel spreadsheets are macro-enabled.
- Acid-base analysis: A macro-enabled Excel template that provides comprehensive evaluation of acid-base status. Be sure to click on the “Instructions” tab when you first open it.
- Fluid therapy calculator: A macro-enabled Excel template that walks you through the steps of designing a fluid therapy plan customized for individual patients. It allows you to choose from a list of fluid types and includes automatic calculations of potassium and magnesium supplementation.
- Drug CRI calculator: An Excel template that allows you to choose from a list of drugs that are commonly administered as continuous rate infusions. Once you choose a drug, syringe size, desired dose, and desired fluid volume administration rate it provides plain-language instructions on how to set up the infusion.
- Diagnostic thoracocentesis technique: Illustrated step-by-step instructions how to safely perform diagnostic thoracocentesis with a single needed.
- Female urinary catheter placement technique: Illustrated step-by-step instructions how to reliably insert a female urinary catheter using a clean technique.
- Severe sepsis and septic shock protocol: A standardized treatment protocol used by the Emergency/Critical care faculty to treat severe sepsis and septic shock.
- Therapeutic thoracocentesis technique (butterfly catheter): Illustrated step-by-step instructions how to safely insert a winged needle catheter to rapidly evacuate air or fluid from the thoracic cavity without lacerating the lung.
- Therapeutic thoracocentesis technique (fenestrated catheter): Illustrated step-by-step instructions how to create a fenestrated “mini chest tube” from an IV catheter to use as a temporary chest tube for complete evacuation of the pleural space.
- Using computers to customize fluid therapy: A word document with embedded links to several sites that provide calculators for fluid therapy and drug infusion therapy.
- Venous cutdown technique: Illustrated step-by-step instructions how to rapidly and reliably secure venous access with a large catheter for treating canine emergencies when peripheral circulation has failed.