Skip to main content

Financial Matters

Fall Registration

As a new student, the CVM Student Services Office will register you for Fall 2018 semester courses.  You will receive a tuition bill in July.  You must adhere to the tuition due date published by the University Cashier’s Office to avoid late registration procedures and fees.  If you do not receive your bill, please contact the Cashier’s Office/Students Accounts Department prior to July, 30, 2018 at (919) 515-2986.



The University of North Carolina Board of Governors mandates that all graduate students at the sixteen UNC System universities who are:

  • enrolled in a degree-seeking program;
  • enrolled in one or more campus credit hours;
  • and have paid the Student Health Services fee;

enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan called Student Blue, operated by Blue Cross Blue Shield, or show evidence of existing creditable health insurance coverage such as a group or individual health plan, Medicare, Medicaid, CHAMPUS, the Indian Health Service, a state health benefits risk pool, Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan (FEHBP), the Peace Corps Act, or a public health plan.

If you are covered under valid health insurance (personal or your parents) you can waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan.

NC State Student Health Insurance Plan rates for the 2018-19 academic year are $2,587.76 for the year or $1,293.88/semester.


Scholarships and Financial Aid


You should have already received an email with information regarding how to apply for scholarships and financial aid.  The NC State College of Veterinary Medicine scholarship application link will be sent to you as soon as you confirm your acceptance by paying your Advance Enrollment Deposit. Scholarship questions should be directed to

You can use MyPack portal to view your Financial Aid Status and billing statements. Before you can access the portal, you will need your Unity ID and password, assigned when you are admitted. DVM student financial aid awards are processed in June prior to matriculation. New incoming students should have financial aid awards showing in the MyPack Portal by the end of June. After this time, to view your financial aid status, log in to the portal and go to: Student Self Service > Campus Finances > Financial Aid Status. You will be given several options to review including:

  • Awards: View your awards. Note: some funds listed may be under review for eligibility.
  • Accept Awards: You are required to accept or decline awards offered to you. If you do not accept your awards, your bill from the University Cashier’s Office will not reflect your estimated aid. Your aid will not disburse until you have accepted your aid offered.
  • Documents: List of all documents we received from you and/or still need to complete your financial aid application.
  • Messages: Explanation of information/documentation that must be submitted before your eligibility for financial aid may be determined.
  • Loans: Your federal Direct loans for the academic year
  • Loan History: Summary of your outstanding federal student loan balances for all schools.
  • Forms: Access to print forms listed as required on the Documents tab.
  • Disbursements: Review of aid disbursed to you.

Financial Aid for the Fall 2018 semester will be posted to student accounts on the first official start date for the University, August 22, 2018. On that date, your financial aid (loans, scholarships and grants) will be released to your student account. Your “bill” to the University will be deducted from that amount and then the next business day the remainder of your aid will be refunded to you via direct deposit to the personal bank account you have designated.

If you plan to pay your tuition and fees bill without any financial aid (loans, etc), you will need to be prepared to pay your bill when it arrives to your MYPACK portal in July, by the due date on the bill. If you applied for financial aid, on your e-bill you will see “estimated financial aid”. Your tuition and fees will be deducted from that and you will see the amount to be refunded to you or the amount that you need to pay the university.


The total cost of attendance for a NON resident DVM student is more than the allowable from the federal government – currently $6​6​,​421​.​6​0 per year. The difference between the total cost of attendance and your award amount will need to be covered in some other way. Unless you have personal savings to use for living expenses, etc. non residents should apply for and accept a GRADPLUS loan. Now that you know exactly how much you are receiving from the university and the federal government, you can go ahead and apply for the GRADPLUS loan (if necessary).

GRADPLUS loans are not part of aid processed directly through the university financial aid office so you will not see a GRADPLUS loan initially offered in your MYPACK portal as it is not part of your financial aid award.  If you wish to apply for a GRADPLUS loan, you need to do this through a separate application.  Information on how to apply for this loan is pasted below from the website for your review.  Remember that you  will need to complete an application for this loan. Additionally, you will not be notified through the MYPACK system of your approval for this loan.  This is handled between the GRADPLUS loan entity and you and correspondence regarding this loan will be directly from them to you. After your GRADPLUS loan is approved, the university will be notified and you will see your GRADPLUS loan listed on your financial aid award page.


The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is a Federal loan program which allows Graduate and Professional students to borrow a low interest federally backed student loan when Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan eligibility has been exhausted. Like the Parent PLUS Loan, the Graduate PLUS Loan can be used to pay for the total cost of attendance minus any financial aid you’ve already been awarded. Also like the Parent PLUS Loan, eligibility for the Graduate PLUS Loan is largely dependent on the borrower’s credit rating and history. There is no form to submit to NC State; students should go to to apply and then, when processed, complete the PLUS Request Process/Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling page to complete the loan validation process.


Your financial aid  award report in your MYPACK portal should list any grants, scholarships and unsubsidized loans.  You can accept or decline any portion of these amounts.  However, you must go into your MYPACK portal and either accept or decline these awards before your aid will be processed.

So, a combination of any of your personal funds, your university financial aid awards (loans, grants, scholarships) and your GRADPLUS loan should cover the total cost of attendance. Your university financial aid (for the semester)  is posted to your “bill” on the first day of classes for the university (August 19).  Your tuition and fees are paid and the next day any remaining funds are deposited into the personal account you designated.  This occurs for spring semester again in January. If any of you need a letter confirming your financial aid in order to hold an apartment, please contact David Fichuo ( and he will provide this letter to you.


Beginning February 20, 2017, UNC General Administration will manage and process all residency determinations, reclassification requests, and appeals for new and continuing undergraduate and non-degree seeking students. After this date, any new or readmitting undergraduate or NDS student who would like to apply for in-state residency consideration for tuition purposes, will need to apply for reclassification through the North Carolina Residency Determination Service questions and concerns can be directed to:, 919-835-2290, or 844-319-3640.

This process will become effective for the DVM Program beginning with the 2019 admissions cycle (May 2018 to August 2019). Applicants for every subsequent cycle will be subject to the RDS for NC residency determination.

Please read here for more details about the new NC RDS process.