Genetics: Bengal Cat Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Study
We are currently looking for DNA samples from Bengal Cats with a diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or are at least 8 years of age and do not have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy to advance our study to identify a gene for the disease.
- Bengal cats who DO NOT have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy who are at least 8 years of age
- Bengal cats who DO have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- It is important that the cats not be too closely related. We can only use one cat from each 3 generation family unless 1 is affected and 1 is clear.
For the technique to work well, we need DNA samples from many more affected cats. Please consider joining this research study!
Dr. Kate Meurs of the Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Lab at North Carolina State University presents a FREE webinar on Inherited Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in the Bengal Cat. The content is targeted to the dog owner/breeder but anyone is welcome to view the session.
Please complete this form and return along with the sample and required cardiologist report and pedigree to:
NCSU-College of Veterinary Medicine
Attn: Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory
Research Bldg. 228
1060 William Moore Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607
If your Bengal cat has a confirmed or presumed diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, you may qualify to participate in this study. Learn more
Please ask your veterinarian or a veterinary technician to pull a blood sample into an EDTA tube. Most veterinary hospitals have these readily available.
- Blood drawn into a Standard EDTA Tube does not need to be refrigerated.
- Blood draw volume should be 1 to 2 ml, if possible.
- Please label tube well, with cat’s call name and family last name and send the samples to our lab via the address above.
Blood drawn does not need to be mailed back with ice packs or be shipped overnight. However, if possible please try to send the sample within a few days by standard mail. Until the blood can be mailed, it is a good idea to refrigerate it (i.e., if the blood was drawn late Saturday and cannot be mailed until Monday, it’s a good idea to refrigerate it between Saturday and Monday)