Small Animal Services: Nutrition
The Nutrition Service provides nutritional recommendations and feeding plans for patients undergoing treatment for and recovering from medical and surgical ailments at the Veterinary Hospital. The Clinical Nutrition Service works closely with the Critical Care Service in ensuring optimal nutrition by designing both voluntary and assisted feeding nutrition support plans.
We specialize in the management of all types of assisted feeding ports and the preparation and delivery of intravenous nutrition as needed. We work closely with Internal Medicine, Surgery, Oncology, the Rehabilitation Service and other specialized services to provide state-of-the-art individualized nutritional plans for patients with various medical conditions.
We provide individual nutrition consultations for dogs, cats and horses. We work in conjunction with both your pet’s specialist veterinarian and family veterinarian. We are not beholden to any particular pet food company and receive no monetary “kickback” for our recommendations. Therefore we are able to provide simply the best dietary options for your pet.
- Commercial diet recommendations
- Critical care nutrition for inpatients
- Individualized assisted (tube) feeding protocols
- Elimination diet trials for the diagnosis and management of suspected food allergies
- Orphaned neonatal feeding plans
- Customized weight loss programs
- Complete and balanced home-prepared recipe formulations
Mature Pet Diets
What do you feed your mature cat or dog? Diet recommendations for a healthy senior pet.
Evaluating Pet Food
With so many pet foods out there, how do you choose the best food for your dog or cat?
Biologically Appropriate Raw Diets
What is a Biologically Appropriate Raw Diet (BARD) and what do you need to know before feeding?
Chronic Kidney Disease
With careful monitoring and management, cats with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) live happy, comfortable lives.
Weight Management Diets
Weight management and your pet. Find out how to create a healthy lifestyle for your cat or dog.
Does your pet have a food allergy? What pet owners should know about reactions to pet food ingredients.
Browse print and digital resources for pet owners and veterinary professionals
Red Bowl Fund
The Red Bowl Fund helps us train the next generation of veterinarians through research, education and outreach opportunities.
FAQs and Downloadable Resources
All consultations require a referral from your family veterinarian or veterinary specialist. Consults can be completed either by an in-person appointment or via telemedicine (i.e. phone/email).
Referring veterinarians should submit a Veterinarian Referral Consult Request form via email or fax along with all pertinent medical records. If an in-person appointment is desired, please note on the referral form and a client service representative will call to schedule the 30-minute appointment.
How does a Veterinarian request a Nutrition Consult for a patient?
The Clinical Nutrition Service offers phone /Skype or web email based consultations to veterinarians for a wide variety of medical conditions such as kidney disease, heart disease, cancer, gastrointestinal disease and those challenging cases with more than one medical condition. We also offer consultations to pet owners with a keen interest in the pet food industry.
Email Consult Instructions:
- Complete the Veterinarian Nutrition Consult Request (pdf download)
- Please fax the completed consult request form (919.513.6905) and the pertinent medical records (to include results of all diagnostics) to Attn: Nutrition Service.
- Once the request form has been received, a representative of the Nutrition Service will contact you by the end of the following business day to provide an estimated date of consultation completion. If you have not been contacted and submitted a request, please call 919.513.6999 to confirm referral receipt.
- Once all materials have been received, the average turnaround time for commercial and assisted feeding recommendations is 2-5 business days. Homemade diet formulations can take up to 20 business days for completion.