Skip to main content

Residency: Anesthesia


The Residency in Anesthesiology at North Carolina State University (NCSU) College of Veterinary Medicine is designed to prepare candidates for board certification by the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ACVAA). Residents must have completed a DVM or equivalent degree and meet the ACVAA pre-residency requirement of at least one year of general veterinary practice (rotating internship or equivalent).

The Anesthesiology Residency is 3 years and follows the ACVAA Residency Guidelines which requires at least 94 weeks of supervised anesthesia practice with an ACVAA Diplomate.  The Anesthesiology Section at NCSU consisting of 6 ACVAA Faculty Anesthesiologists, 4 Anesthesia Residents, 1 Anesthesia Intern, and 10 Registered Veterinary Technicians (3 are specialist anesthesiology VTS).  The Anesthesiology Residency program includes daily clinical service (all species), participation in case rounds, organized academic reading with mentors, student laboratory exercises, emergency service coverage, and research.

The NCSU Anesthesiology Section anesthetizes approximately 4000 patients per year and residents are exposed to enough depth and breadth of species and disease processes that they can complete all the requirements for the ACVAA credentialing, as well as being prepared for clinical anesthesiology practice.  The NCSU Veterinary Hospital is a busy primary, secondary and tertiary facility with a wide complement of specialists and modern equipment.

Leadership and Faculty

Program Director

Lydia Love

Asst Clinical Professor

Program Leadership


Application information here


Information for International Applicants

Preference is given to applicants who have graduated from a college that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. If you wish to apply for an internship or residency program things to keep in mind:

  1. Have your degree translated and evaluated by a reputable company. Options include: Josef Silny & AssociatesTrustforte Corporation, and World Education Services
  2. Some programs require the TOFEL exam to qualify for a internship or residency position.
  3. Most foreign interns and residents are appointed to H-1B visas.
  4. To ensure that a foreign national candidate has the H-1B visa at the start of their program the candidate will be asked to pay for the premium processing filing fee of $1,225 USD, if necessary.
  5. Getting a visa takes between 4 and 6 months if the visa is expedited it takes approximately 15 business days.
  6. Take the initial steps and apply for The Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) certification program is accepted by all state veterinary regulatory boards and the federal government as meeting, either in part or full, the educational prerequisite for licensure or certain types of employment, respectively.