Services & Policies
Computing Resources supports the computer network infrastructure, develops programs and supports individuals and departments with their computing needs across the college.
Regular University Hours 8 am – 5 pm, Monday through Friday
Regular: 7 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
After Hours: 5:00 pm – 7 am and 24 hours Weekends and Holidays
2. Contact Methods:
For PC Support Help Desk (OOPS line- 3-6677) (option 2)
Response time: Acknowledgment generally by half an hour. Task accomplishment depending on urgency. Efforts are made to resolve calls as soon as possible taking into account table below.
For VH Apps support
- Check with co-workers, supervisor, or Area Coordinator first. Often they have had the same issue.
- If unable to resolve the issue call 3-6677 option 1. This is the Computing Resources Programmers line. Leave a message if the phone is not picked up.
- If urgent and you have been unable to contact someone, use the After Hours Support.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org (for PC Support)
Response time: Acknowledgment same day. Task accomplishment depending on urgency.
3. Workstation Services:
A. HARDWARE SUPPORT:
- Installation of supported Dell PCs and Apple computers purchased from the NCSU Marketplace.
- Installation of supported peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, etc.
- Disconnection and reconnections of computers, printers, scanners, etc. to facilitate moves. Computing Resources personnel do not participate in the actual relocation of equipment.
- Hardware troubleshooting. CVM Computing Resources will assist in identifying the problem component. The customer or customer’s department may be required to return the component for repair/replacement if under warranty or seek outside assistance from Your Computer at NC State
B. SOFTWARE SUPPORT:
- Installation and configuration of NCSU supported operating systems.
- Installation and/or delivery of CVM standard suite of applications via SCCM.
C. STANDARD SOFTWARE:
- Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
- Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari**
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Backup Time
* College computers only
** Apple computers (OSX, iOS)
D. NON-STANDARD SOFTWARE
Non-Standard software must be reported to OIT for Clickwrap approval prior to installation. CVM Computing Resources will provide very general consultation and assistance with applications and systems that are not listed as standard software. This includes locally (on a user’s computer hard drive) installed application software. This assistance will focus on ensuring the software will not adversely affect the computer network.
4. Personally-owned computers
Personally-owned computers (faculty,staff,students,no-pays,etc.) are not supported at CVM. Remote desktop access is allowed conditional on supervisor approval. The CVM Computing Resources will recommend the necessary software and hardware to enable access, and owners can review the following webpage for further assistance. Wireless access is available throughout the CVM main building, Terry Center and Research building.
5. Workstation Services Provided by the User
- Physically installing/relocating PCs, printers, scanners, etc.
- Installing unsupported peripherals
- Verifying data backups to external storage devices.
- Procuring, providing and keeping installation media and installation keys and/or serial numbers for non-standard software.
- Ordering hardware (after consulting with CVM Computing Resources support staff)
- Scheduling (including shipping) all warranty/repair work for printers and other peripherals.
- Procuring necessary peripheral devices such as printer cables and ethernet hubs.
6. Network Services Provided by CVM Computing Resources
- Full file server backups performed monthly. Incremental server backups performed nightly;
- Backup retained for 4 months.
- File restoration within 48 hours (requested via the help desk); customer must provide file name and location to facilitate restore.
- Shared/departmental disk space to CVM administrative groups and other CVM groups as needed and server space allows. CVM Administrative groups, departmental administrative groups, and VTH have priority. Space is allocated on an as needed basis.