A Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Dr. Marks came to NC State in 2005 after positions at the University of Illinois (2001-2005), Louisiana State University (1996-2001), Colorado State University (1995-1996), Cardio Pet, Inc. (1994-1995) and Washington State University (1990-1994). He also served as president of the Small Animal Internal Medicine Specialty in the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine from 2009 to 2012.
Dr. Marks’ research involves emergency and critical care, general internal medicine, cardiopulmonary medicine, and pain management. As a teacher, Dr. Marks is the recipient of numerous awards including the Norden Distinguished Teacher Award at Louisiana State University (1999), the Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award at NC State (2009), the Zoetis Distinguished Teacher Award at NC State (2013) and most recently, the 2014 NC State Outstanding Teacher Award.
Dr. Marks received his BVSc degree from the University of Liverpool Faculty of Veterinary Science in 1989. He had a rotating internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine and completed his residency in small animal internal medicine at Washington State University, where he also earned a Master’s degree in Veterinary Medicine.
As Associate Dean and Director of Medical Services, Dr. Marks oversees the NC State Veterinary Hospital. The VH is composed of the 110,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art Terry Center, the Equine and Farm Animal Veterinary Center, the Veterinary Health and Wellness Center, and Satellite and Field Veterinary Services. Dr. Marks also leads the House Officer training program, which one of the top ranked programs of its kind in the world.
- Discharge summaries provided to owners of pets newly diagnosed with cancer exceed recommended readability levels , JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (2022)
- Googling for a veterinary diagnosis: A replication study using Google as a diagnostic aid , JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE (2022)
- Veterinary house officer perceptions of dimensions of well-being during postgraduate training , JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (2022)
- Assessment of Safety Culture at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital in the United States , FRONTIERS IN VETERINARY SCIENCE (2021)
- Endoscopy Training in Small Animal Internal Medicine: A Survey of Residency Training Programs in North America , JOURNAL OF VETERINARY MEDICAL EDUCATION (2021)
- Clinical ethics consultation in a tertiary care veterinary teaching hospital , JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (2019)
- Duty hours restriction for our surgical trainees: An ethical obligation or a bad idea? , Veterinary Surgery (2018)
- Thromboelastographic monitoring of the effect of unfractionated heparin in healthy dogs , Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001) (2017)
- Presumptive intraperitoneal envenomation resulting in hemoperitoneum and acute abdominal pain in a dog , Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001) (2015)
- Evaluation of a point-of-care anticoagulant rodenticide test for dogs , Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (2014)
- CVM: Administration
- CVM: Clinical Sciences
- Clinical Sciences: DOCS Emergency Critical Care Faculty
- Clinical Sciences: DOCS Faculty
- Clinical Sciences: DOCS Internal Medicine Faculty
- CVM: Feline Health
- CVM: Focus Area
- Focus Area: Graduate Pharmacology
- CVM: Hospital
- House Officer Key Point People
- CVM: Leadership
- Hospital: Small Animal Emergency Service
- Hospital: Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Focus Area: Small Animal Practice