Ed Breitschwerdt, DVM, DACVIM
The Melanie S. Steele Distinguished Professorship in Medicine
Professor, Internal Medicine
A graduate of the University of Georgia, Breitschwerdt completed an internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Missouri between 1974 and 1977. He has served as president of the Specialty of Internal Medicine and as chairman of the ACVIM Board of Regents. He is a former associate editor for the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine and was a founding member of the ACVIM Foundation.
Breitschwerdt’s clinical interests include infectious diseases, immunology, and nephrology. For over 30 years, his research has emphasized vector-transmitted, intracellular pathogens. Most recently, he has contributed to cutting-edge research in the areas of animal and human bartonellosis. In addition to authoring numerous book chapters and proceedings, Dr. Breitschwerdt’s research group has published more that 350 manuscripts in peer-reviewed scientific journals. In 2012, he received the North Carolina State University Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award and in 2013 he received the Holladay Medal, the highest award bestowed on a faculty member at North Carolina State University.
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Global Health, Infectious DiseasesDr. Breitschwerdt's research emphasis has been on vector-transmitted, intracellular pathogens. Since 1984, he has supervised a biosafety level P-3 research laboratory and co-supervised the Tick-transmitted Diagnostic Laboratory.
- (2015) Relationship between degenerative joint disease, pain and Bartonella spp. seroreactivity in domesticated cats.Tomas A, Pultorak EL, Gruen ME, Breitschwerdt EB, Lascelles BDX. | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2015 Jan;29(1):21-7. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12495. Epub 2014 Oct 18. PMID: 25327962
- (2014) Comparison of serological and molecular panels for the diagnosis of vector-borne diseases in dogs.Maggi RG, Birkenheuer AJ, Hegarty BC, Bradley JM, Levy MG, Breitschwerdt EB. | Parasit Vectors 2014 Mar 26;7:127.
- (2014) Bartonella henselae and Bartonella koehlerae DNA in birds9. Mascarelli PE, McQuillan M, Harms CA, Harms RV, Breitschwerdt EB. | Emerg Infec Dis 20: 490-492. http://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2003.130563
- (2014) Serological and molecular prevalence of selected canine vector borne pathogens in blood donor candidates, clinically healthy volunteers, and stray dogs in North Carolina.Balakrishnan N, Musulin WE, Varanat M, Bradley JM, Breitschwerdt EB. | Parasit Vectors 2014 Mar 24;7:116.
- (2013) Infection with hemotropic mycoplasma species in patients with and without extensive arthropod and animal contact.Maggi RG, Compton SM, Trull CL, Mascarelli PE, Mozayeni BR, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Clin Microbiol 2013 Oct; 51(10):3237-3241.
- (2013) Co-infection with Anaplasma platys, Bartonella henselae and Candidatus Mycoplasma haematoparvum in a veterinarian.Maggi RG, Mascarelli PE, Havenga LN, Naidoo V, Breitschwerdt EB. | Parasit Vectors 2013 Apr 15;6:103.
- (2013) Bartonella henselae bacteremia in a mother and son potentially associated with tick exposure.Maggi RG, Ericson M, Mascarelli PE, Bradley JM, Breitschwerdt EB. | Parasit Vectors 2013 Apr 15;6:101.
- (2013) Extrauterine listeriosis in the gravid mouse influences embryonic growth and development. Suyemoto MM, Hamrick TS, Spears PA, Horton JR, Washington IM, Havell EA, Borst LB, Orndorff PE. | PLoS 0ne 2013 Aug 14;8(8):e72601. eCollection 2013.
- (2012) Bartonella spp. bacteremia and rheumatic symptoms in patients from a Lyme disease-endemic region.Maggi RG, Mozayeni BR, Pultorak EL, Hegarty BC, Bradley JM, Correa, Breitschwerdt EB. | Emerg Infect Dis 2012 May;18(5):783-91.
- (2011) Bartonella spp. bacteremia in high-risk immunocompetent patients.Maggi RG, Mascarelli PE, Pultorak EL, Hegarty BC, Bradley JM,, Mozayeni BR, Breitschwerdt EB. | Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2011 Dec; 71(4): 430-437. Epub 2011 Oct 13.
- (2011) Rickettsia rickettsii transmission by a lone star tick, North Carolina.Breitschwerdt EB, Hegarty BC, Maggi RG, Lantos PM, Aslett DM, Bradley JM. | Emerg Infect Dis 2011 May;17(5):873-5.
- (2011) Assessment of urine solute and matrix effects on the performance of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measurement of interleukin-6 in dog urine.Wood MW, Nordone SK, Vaden SL, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Diagn Invest, 2011, 23:316-320.
- (2010) Molecular evidence of perinatal transmission of Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii and Bartonella henselae to a child.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi EG, Farmer P, Mascarelli PE. | J Clin Microbiol 2010 Jun;48(6):2289-93. Epub 2010 Apr 14.
- (2010) Suspected needle stick transmission of Bartonella vinsonii subspecies berkhoffii to a veterinarian.Oliveira AM, Maggi RG, Woods CW, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Intern Med 2010 Sep-Oct;24(5):1229-32. Epub 2010 Jul 28.
- (2010) Comparative activity of pradofloxacin, enrofloxacin and azithromycin against Bartonella henselae isolates collected from cats and a human.Biswas S, Maggi RG, Papich MG, Keil D, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Clin Microbiol 2010 Feb;48(2):617-8. Epub 2009 Dec 9.
- (2010) Molecular mechansims of Bartonella henselae resistance to azithromycin, pradofloxacin and enrofloxacin.Biswas S, Maggi RG, Papich MG, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Antimicrob Chemother 2010 Mar;65(3):581-2. Epub 2009 Dec 18.
- (2010) Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii and Bartonella henselae bacteremia in a father and daughter with neurological disease.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG, Lantos PM, Woods CW, Hegarty BC, Bradley JM. | Parasit Vectors 2010 Apr 8;3(1):29.
- (2010) PCR amplification of Bartonella koehlerae from human blood and enrichment blood cultures.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG, Mozayeni BR, Hegarty BC, Bradley JM, Mascarelli PE. | Parasit Vectors 2010 Aug 24;3:76.
- (2009) Bartonella endocarditis: a pathology shared by animal reservoirs and patients.Chomel BB, Kasten RW, Williams C, Wey AC, Henn JB, Maggi R, Carrasco S, Mazet J, Boulouis HJ, Maillard R, Breitschwerdt EB. | Ann NY Acad Sci 2009 May; 1166:120126.
- (2009) Isolation of Candidatus Bartonella melophagi from human blood.Maggi RG, Kosoy M, Mintzer M, Breitschwerdt EB. | Emerging Inf. Dis. 2009 Jan; 15(1):66-68.
- (2009) Isolation of Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii genotype II from a boy with epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and a dog with hemangiopericytoma.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG, Varanat M, Linder KE, Weinberg G. | J Clin Microbiol 2009 Jun;47(6):1957-60. Epub 2009 Apr 15.
- (2009) A groundhog, a novel Bartonella sequence, and my fathers death.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG, Cadenas MB, de Paiva Diniz PP. | Emerg Infect Dis 2009 Dec;15(12):2080-6.
- (2009) A confusing case of canine vector-borne disease: clinical signs and progression in a dog co-infected with Ehrlichia canis and Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG. | Parasit Vectors 2009 Mar 26;2 Suppl 1:S3.
- (2009) Use of broad range 16S rDNA PCR in clinical microbiology.Sontakke S, Cadenas MB, Maggi RG, Diniz PP, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Microbiol Methods 2009 Mar;76(3):217-25. Epub 2008 Nov 21.
- (2009) Comparative medical features of canine and human bartonellosis.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG. | Clin Microbiol Infect 2009 Dec;15 Suppl 2:106-7. Epub 2009 Apr 30.
- (2008) Bartonella henselae in captive and hunter harvested beluga (Delphinapterus leucas).Maggi RG, Raverty SA, Lester SJ, Huff DG, Haulena M, Ford SL, Nielsen O, Robinson JH, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Wildl Dis 2008 Oct; 44(4): 871-877.
- (2008) Failure to identify an association between serological or molecular evidence of Bartonella spp infection and idiopathic rhinitis in dogs.Hawkins EC, Johnson LR, Guptill L, Marr HS, Breitschwerdt EB, Birkenheuer AJ. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008 Aug 15;233(4):597-599.
- (2008) Bartonella sp. bacteremia in patients with neurological and neurocognitive dysfunction.Breitschwerdt EB, Maggi RG, Nicholson WL, Cherry NA, Woods CW. | J Clin Microbiol 2008 Sep;46(9):2856-61. Epub 2008 Jul 16.
- (2008) Detection of Bartonella henselae in the blood of two adult horses.Jones SL, Maggi RG, Shuler J, Alward A, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Intern Med 22:495-498; 2008.
- (2008) Bartonella species detection in captive, stranded and free-ranging cetaceans.Harms CA, Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB, Clemons-Chevis CL, Solangi M, Rotstein DS, Fair PA, Hansen LJ, Hohn AA, Lovewell GN, McLellan WA, Pabst DA, Rowles TK, Schwacke LH, Townsend FI, Wells RS. | Vet Res 39:59:00
- (2008) Concurrent Hepatic Copper Toxicosis and Fanconi’s Syndrome in a Dog.Hill T, Breitschwerdt E, Cecere T, Vaden S. | J Vet Intern Med, 2008, 22:219-222.
- (2006) A Bartonella vinsonii berkhoffii typing scheme based upon 16S-23S ITS and Pap31 sequences from dog, coyote, gray fox, and human isolates.Maggi RG, Chomel B, Hegarty BC, Jenn J, Breitschwerdt EB. | Mol Cell Probes 2006 Apr; 20(2): 128-134. Epub 2006 Feb 7.
- (2005) Bartonella henselae in porpoise blood.Maggi RG, Harms CA, Hohn AA, Pabst DA, McLellan WA, Walton WJ, Rotstein DS, Breitschwerdt EB. | Emerg Infect Dis 2005 Dec; 11(12):1894-1898.
- (2005) Isolation of bacteriophages from Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii and the characterization of Pap31 gene sequences from bacterial and phage DNA.Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 2005; 9(1):44-51.
- (2005) Potential limitations of the 16S-23S rRNA intergenic region for molecular detection of Bartonella species.Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Clin Microbiol 2005 Mar; 43(3):1171-1176.
- (2005) Novel chemically modified liquid medium that will support the growth of seven bartonella species.Maggi RG, Duncan AB, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Clin Microbiol 2005 Jun;43(6):2651-5.
- (2004) The clinician investigator program in companion animal internal medicine at North Carolina State University.Bunch SE, Ford RB, Hawkins EC, Jackson MW, Vaden SL, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Med Educ 2004; 31:(4):425-434.
- (2002) Isolation and identification of Mycobacterium kansasii from pleural fluid of a dog with persistent pleural effusion.Pressler BK, Hardie EM, Pitulle C, Hopwood RM, Sontakke S, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 May 1;220(9):1336-40, 1313-4.
- (2001) Infection of fetal feline brain cells in culture with Bartonella henselae.Muñana KR, Vitek SM, Hegarty BC, Kordick DL, Breitschwerdt EB. | Infection and Immunity 2001;69:564-569.
- (1997) A retrospective case-control study of acute renal failure in 99 dogs.Vaden SL, Levine JF, Breitschwerdt EB. | J Vet Intern Med. 1997; 11:58-64.
- (1995) The effects of cyclosporine versus standard care in dogs with naturally occurring glomerulonephritis.Vaden SL, Breitschwerdt EB, Armstrong PJ, Correa MT, Brown C, Polzin DJ, Brace JJ, DiBartola SP, Barsanti JA, Crowell W, Jans H, Dimski DS, Bartges J. | J Vet Intern Med 1995; 9:259-266.
- (1991) Primary ciliary dyskinesia in Bichon frise littermates.Vaden SL, Breitschwerdt EB, Henrickson CK, Metcalf MR, Cohn L, Craig WA. | J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1991, 27:633-640.
N.C. Dogs Provide Clues About Dangerous PathogenA new NC State College of Veterinary Medicine study shines an ever-brightening light on Bartonella by taking a close look at the emerging pathogen’s presence in North Carolina. The study, published in the journal Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, creates an activity map of the pathogen Bartonella henselae through samples from dogs obtained between 2004 and
Case Study: Bartonella and Sudden-Onset Adolescent SchizophreniaIn a new case study, researchers at North Carolina State University describe an adolescent human patient diagnosed with rapid onset schizophrenia who was found instead to have a Bartonella henselae infection. This study adds to the growing body of evidence that Bartonella infection can mimic a host of chronic illnesses, including mental illness, and could open up new avenues
Breitschwerdt Awarded WSAVA Global One Health AwardEd Breitschwerdt, a worldwide leader in infectious disease research and longtime NC State College of Veterinary Medicine clinician-scientist, has won the 2018 Global One Health Award from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. Breitschwerdt, CVM professor of medicine and infectious diseases, shares the WSAVA award with Christopher Woods, a professor in Duke University’s medicine and
A Distinguished Professorship for an Extraordinary ScientistEd Breitschwerdt, a professor of medicine and infectious diseases, came to the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine in 1982, and has influenced students in every CVM class to step through the college’s doors...
AKC-CHF Grant funds New CVM Bartonella Research ProjectThe new study will dive deeper into evidence suggesting that Bartonella infections contribute to hemangiosarcoma development. That information could lead to improved diagnosis and treatment of the cancer, which occurs most often in several popular canine breeds...
Breitschwerdt Receives AKC-CHF Canine Health Excellence AwardThe nonprofit AKC-CHF singled out Breitschwerdt’s innovative, leading-edge research in infectious disease research that, “has advanced our knowledge of deadly pathogens that cross species barriers, contributing to both canine and...
Shedding Light on an Emerging Infectious DiseaseA new research project answers lingering questions about Bartonella and Bartonellosis...
Breitschwerdt, Cannedy to Receive AAVMC HonorsThe AAVMC announced Wednesday that Edward Breitschwerdt, professor of medicine and infectious disease, is the recipient of the 2017 AAVMC Excellence in Research Award. Allen Cannedy, director of diversity and multicultural affairs, is the recipient of the 2017 Iverson Bell Award.
NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine Host Institution for World's Bartonella Experts
Leading global experts in veterinary medicine, human medicine, and parasitology attending the “7th International Conference on Bartonella as Animal and Human Pathogens” are united in a desire to deepen their understanding of this bacterium and increase medical and public awareness of the “stealth pathogen” that plays an important role in a number of human ills. The
CVM Research Links Some Rheumatologic Symptoms in Humans to Bartonella Exposure
A new research study published by the Bartonella research team at NC State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine–led by Dr. Ed Breitschwerdt– links Bartonellainfection to rheumatologic symptoms in patients with historical diagnoses of Lyme disease, arthritis, chronic fatigue, and fibromyalgia. The study is reported in the May issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases. The NC State News
Research by Intracellular Pathogens Research Lab Advances Understanding of Bartonella--the 'stealth pathogen'
The following article by the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) News Service profiles the ongoing Bartonella research being conducted by the Intracellular Pathogens Research Laboratory (IPRL) within the CVM Center for Comparative Medicine and Translational Research. Directed by Dr. Ed Breitschwerdt, the work of the IRPL is an example of the “One Medicine” concept and the