Rewards and Recognition
Take some time out to recognize and appreciate CVM faculty and staff members who go above and beyond, handle challenging work and provide creative solutions to keep CVM performing at a high level. Recognition is about what people do; appreciation is about who they are as a colleague and a human being.
This page offers links to many of the recognition and appreciation programs available at NCSU and CVM, as well as some tips on how to applaud the efforts of your fellow Wolfpack members and let them know they are valued.
“Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.”
– Margaret Cousins
- Recognition and Appreciation at NC State
- CVM Awards & Honors
- Paws and Say Thanks
- Pride of the Wolfpack
- Awards for Excellence
- Service Awards Program
- Faculty Awards and Recognition
“People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
– Teddy Roosevelt
Tips for Showing Appreciation
One of the easiest and best things you can do for you colleagues is to put down your phone, turn away from your computer, turn toward them and genuinely listen to what they have to say.
Take time to tell people what you value about them. Be proactive. Don’t wait until you want something from them or until they have done something great. Acknowledging someone’s value is a powerful gift and it can positively affect how they feel about themselves, the team and the culture.
Show that you care. Ask how they are doing and what they are challenged by right now.
Tips for Creating a Culture of Recognition
- Be specific, be relevant – Recognition is more meaningful when it’s tied to a specific accomplishment, behavior or business objective.
- Be timely – Delays in recognition detract from its value and make it seem less authentic. Acknowledge and express appreciation in the moment when possible.
- Recognition comes in many shapes and sizes – Everyone has their own preference and style when it comes to giving and receiving appreciation. A thoughtful gesture that shows that the reward is personalized is a very effective way to recognize a job well done.
- Little things go a long way – Thank yous and shout outs from managers and colleagues alike can be very motivating.
- Connect to the bigger picture – Expressing how someone’s actions have contributed to the goals and objectives of CVM and NCSU help motivate, provide a sense of belonging and demonstrate how individual employee goals relate to the overall mission and vision.
- Be inclusive – Nobody should be left out. Sharing of appreciation and awards should extend across the entire team, faculty/department and University.