Skip to main content

Liability Insurance

NC State Clinical-Year DVM Students

DVM students in their clinical year are covered by NC State’s liability insurance when completing externship experiences for academic credit (both national and international experiences). Students going outside the USA should contact the Director of Veterinary International Programs regarding needed insurance.

  • **Students are NOT covered in years 1-3. Only clinical-year students are covered by NC State’s liability insurance.

Students are NOT covered when completing externships or practice visits on Vacation blocks, as they will not receive credit for their experience.

Certificate of Insurance: 4th-year students who are asked to provide proof of liability insurance should complete and submit the Request for Certificate of Insurance at least one month prior to the experience.

  • Students should only request certificates if their externship location requests proof of liability insurance. If the externship location does not require proof of insurance, the student does not need to request a certificate.

Offshore Students

Contract students attending NC State University’s CVM for their clinical year are covered for liability insurance under policies specific to their schools:

  • Ross University: purchases AVMA-PLIT liability insurance each semester to provide coverage for clinical-year students. Click here for a certificate of liability insurance or a letter of coverage.
  • St. George’s University: students receive mal-practice coverage through SGU and should contact SGU if externships request proof of insurance.
  • St. Matthew’s University: purchases AVMA-PLIT for its clinical-year students to keep them fully covered.  Students should contact SMU for proof of insurance.

AVMA-PLIT Student Liability Insurance

  • Clinical-year students completing externships/practice visits while on Vacation Blocks;
  • Years 1-3 DVM students completing externships/practice visits;
  • or students visiting externship locations requiring AVMA-PLIT coverage (can be purchased in addition to NCSU or Offshore liability coverage)

Students in one of the above categories may find it helpful and/or necessary to purchase AVMA-PLIT insurance if they are completing an externship experience without NCSU coverage or if their externship location requires visitors to purchase coverage.

Click here for Information about the AVMA-PLIT coverage and to download an application.