- B.S. Michigan State University 1967
- D.V.M. Michigan State University 1970
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- M.S. Michigan State University 1974
- Department of Biochemistry Ph.D. Michigan State University 1977
- Department of Microbiology and Public Health
- Veterinary Practitioner, small animal clinic in New Haven, Connecticut, June to December 1970.
- Veterinary Practitioner, small animal clinic in Charlotte, Michigan, January to September 1971.
- Research Veterinarian, Center for Laboratory Animal Research, January to September 1971.
- Research Associate, Department of Microbiology and Public Health at MSU, March 1974 to June 1975.
- Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, July 1977 to January 1982.
- Associate Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 1982 to 1987.
- Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, 1987 to present.©
Area(s) of Expertise
The focus of my research is on development of biological therapies for allergic diseases. Allergic diseases in dogs, cats and horses are important concerns for veterinary medicine; and, the near identical presentation and treatment approach in atopic dermatitis of dogs and humans encourages our efforts to work with canine atopic dermatitis for purposes of both veterinary and human medicine applications.
At this time I am generating and testing chimeric recombinant proteins with specificity for IgE and the high affinity receptor of IgE responsible for inflammatory mediator release from mast cells and basophils.
- Co-sensitization and cross-reactivity between related and unrelated food allergens in dogs - a serological study , Veterinary Dermatology (2017)
- Therapeutic anti-IgE monoclonal antibody single chain variable fragment (scFv) safety and immunomodulatory effects after one time injection in four dogs , VETERINARY DERMATOLOGY (2017)
- A study for characterization of IgE-mediated cutaneous immediate and late-phase reactions in non-allergic domestic cats , Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology (2014)
- Characterization of IgE-mediated cutaneous immediate and late-phase reactions in nonallergic horses , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH (2014)
- Effects of pentoxifylline on immediate and late-phase cutaneous reactions in response to anti-immunoglobulin E antibodies in clinically normal dogs , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH (2014)
- Canine IgE , Veterinary Allergy (2013)
- Serum Anti-Staphylococcus PseudintermediusIge and Igg Antibodies in Dogs with Atopic Dermatitis and Nonatopic Dogs , Advances in Veterinary Dermatology (2013)
- Serum anti-Staphylococcus pseudintermedius IgE and IgG antibodies in dogs with atopic dermatitis and nonatopic dogs , Veterinary Dermatology (2013)
- A comparison of the clinical manifestations of feeding whole and hydrolysed chicken to dogs with hypersensitivity to the native protein , VETERINARY DERMATOLOGY (2010)
- Canine immunoglobulin E , VETERINARY IMMUNOLOGY AND IMMUNOPATHOLOGY (2009)
- CVM: Focus Area
- Focus Area: Graduate Infectious Diseases
- Focus Area: Immunology
- Research Area of Emphasis: Infectious Diseases
- Population Health and Pathobiology: PHP Faculty
- Population Health and Pathobiology: PHP Parasitology Faculty
- CVM: Population Health and Pathobiology
- CVM: Research Area of Emphasis