Assoc Dean & Director
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
American College of Veterinary Surgeons
CVM Main Building A232
Dr. Laura Nelson is the Associate Dean and Director of Academic Affairs at the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Prior to joining the NC State team, Dr. Nelson was an Associate Professor of Small Animal Surgery at Michigan State University from 2008-2017 and a Clinical Instructor in Small Animal Surgery at The Ohio State University from 2007-2008.
Dr. Nelson completed her BS and DVM degrees at The Ohio State University. After completing a rotating internship at Michigan State University, she returned to OSU to complete a surgical residency and MS degree. Dr. Nelson is a Small Animal Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. Dr. Nelson completed the Lilly Teaching Fellowship at Michigan State University in 2015 and a graduate certificate in Higher Adult and Lifelong Learning through the MSU College of Education in 2016.
Dr. Nelson was the recipient of multiple teaching awards at Michigan State University, including the SCAVMA Excellence in Teaching Awards in 2011, 2014, and 2016 and the Zoetis Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award in 2017.
Outside of veterinary medicine, Dr. Nelson is an avid runner, reader, and mother of three.
- Veterinary house officer perceptions of dimensions of well-being during postgraduate training , JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (2022)
- AAVMC Internship Program Guidelines 2018 , Journal of Veterinary Medical Education (2019)
- The Relationship Between Gastrointestinal Motility and Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus in Dogs , Topics in Companion Animal Medicine (2014)
- Surgical Site Infections in Small Animal Surgery , Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice (2011)
- Three-dimensional laser micrometry characterization of surface wear in total hip arthroplasty , Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials (2007)