Skip to main content

Residency: Ruminant Health Management

The primary goal of this two-year residency program is to provide clinical training that qualifies individuals to sit the certification examination of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (Food Animal Practice or Dairy Practice) or the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. It is possible for qualified candidates to receive additional training and complete a master’s level or Ph.D. degree. The residency provides training appropriate for a career in academia, government, industry, or private specialty practice.


The majority of the residency will be working in the Ruminant Health and Reproduction Service (RHRS) to gain clinical experience with dairy and beef cattle and small ruminants (including camelids). Clinical training will include individual animal medicine and surgery, herd level medicine, production medicine, and milk quality evaluation. Limited opportunities are also available for exposure to other areas including nutrition, records analysis, or equine internal medicine, depending on the interest of the candidate. The resident will be expected to participate in all aspects of the ruminant health management teaching program which includes didactic lectures, seminars, clinical teaching and continuing education. It is anticipated that formal teaching opportunities will increase with experience. The resident will also be responsible for night and weekend emergency duty for ruminants, on a rotating basis, both in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and for Field Services.

Residents must meet the requirements for admission to the Graduate College of North Carolina State University and register, where applicable, in a graduate program after completing the first year of the residency. Opportunities exist to pursue a Master of Science, Master of Veterinary Public Health, or a Doctor of Philosophy degree. There are diverse research opportunities available depending on the interest of the resident, including toxicology, pharmacology, mastitis/milk quality, reproductive physiology, epidemiology, and food safety.

Faculty members in direct support of the program include individuals board-certified by the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, the American College of Theriogenologists, and the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Additional members of the Department have expertise in residue pharmacology, food safety, epidemiology and government practice, as well as with the swine and poultry industries.

The resident will be expected to make a decision within six months of beginning the program as to which specialty board they intend to pursue. The resident will be encouraged to undertake a suitable research project and prepare at least one manuscript suitable for publication during the two-year program. A residency advisor and advisory committee are responsible for the resident’s program and progress. Residents will receive semi-annual written evaluations which will be discussed with the resident’s advisory committee. Re-appointment in a successive year is contingent upon satisfactory progress in the program and funding availability.

A North Carolina veterinary license is required. This can be obtained after arrival via the institutional employment licensing agreement. Professional liability insurance and health insurance are provided. The resident accrues 12 days of vacation each year. Vacation can be taken by arrangement through the advisory committee.


This residency participates in the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians’ (AAVC) Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program (VIRMP) when a position is available.

Information for International Applicants

Preference is given to applicants who have graduated from a college that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. If you wish to apply for an internship or residency program things to keep in mind:

  1. Have your degree translated and evaluated by a reputable company. Options include: Josef Silny & AssociatesTrustforte Corporation, and World Education Services
  2. Some programs require the TOFEL exam to qualify for a internship or residency position.
  3. Most foreign interns and residents are appointed to H-1B visas.
  4. To ensure that a foreign national candidate has the H-1B visa at the start of their program the candidate will be asked to pay for the premium processing filing fee of $1,225 USD, if necessary.
  5. Getting a visa takes between 4 and 6 months if the visa is expedited it takes approximately 15 business days.
  6. Take the initial steps and apply for The Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) certification program is accepted by all state veterinary regulatory boards and the federal government as meeting, either in part or full, the educational prerequisite for licensure or certain types of employment, respectively.