Michael W. Nolan, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVR (Radiation Oncology)
Assistant Professor, Radiation Oncology and Biology
Dr. Nolan graduated from State University of New York at Stony Brook, earned his DVM degree at Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, and his PhD in Radiation and Cancer Biology from Colorado State University. He completed an internship at NYC Veterinary Specialists and a residency in radiation oncology at Colorado State University. Dr. Nolan has a special interest in emerging technologies and techniques in radiation oncology, including intensity-modulated, image-guided and stereotactic radiation therapy. He is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology (sub-specialty of Radiation Oncology).
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology (Radiation Oncology)
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsNormal tissue radiobiology, and the study of inflammation and immunity as they relate to local and systemic responses to irradiation.
- (2017) Outcomes of Spatially Fractionated Radiotherapy (GRID) for Bulky Soft Tissue Sarcomas in a Large Animal Model.Nolan MW, Gieger TL, Karakashian AA, Nikolova-Karakashian MN, Posner LP, Roback DM, Rivera JN, Chang S. | Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Jan 1:1533034617690980. doi: 10.1177/1533034617690980. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 28168937.
- (2017) Pilot study to determine the feasibility of radiation therapy for dogs with right atrial masses and hemorrhagic pericardial effusion.Nolan MW, Arkans MM, LaVine D, DeFrancesco T, Myers JA, Griffith EH, Posner LP, Keene BW, Tou SP, Gieger TL. | J Vet Cardiol. pii: S1760-2734(17)30033-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jvc.2016.12.001. [Epub ahead of print] Mar 7, 2017.
- (2017) Nocifensive behaviors in mice with radiation-induced oral mucositis.Nolan MW, Long CT, Marcus K, Sarmadi S, Roback DM, Fukuyama T, Baeumer W, Lascelles BDX. | Accepted, Radiation Research, January 2017
- Management of transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder in dogs: important challenges to consider.Nolan MW, Gieger TL, Vaden SL. | Veterinary journal (London, England : 1997) 2015;205(2):126-7.
- Misadministration of radiation therapy in veterinary medicine: a case report and literature review.Arkans MM, Gieger TL, Nolan MW. | Vet Comp Oncol 2015.
- Interfaces with Tunable Mechanical and Radiosensitizing Properties.Berg NG, Pearce BL, Snyder PJ, et al. | ACS applied materials & interfaces 2016.
- Stereotactic radiation therapy for treatment of canine intracranial meningiomas. Griffin LR, Nolan MW, Selmic LE, et al. | Vet Comp Oncol 2014.
- Surface characterization of gallium nitride modified with peptides before and after exposure to ionizing radiation in solution.Berg NG, Nolan MW, Paskova T, et al. | Langmuir : the ACS journal of surfaces and colloids 2014;30(51):15477-85.
- Pudendal Nerve and Internal Pudendal Artery Damage May Contribute to Radiation-Induced Erectile Dysfunction.Nolan MW, Marolf AJ, Ehrhart EJ, et al. | International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics 2015;91(4):796-806.
- Dosimetric consequences of using contrast-enhanced computed tomographic images for intensity-modulated stereotactic body radiotherapy planning.Yoshikawa H, Roback DM, Larue SM, et al. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2015;56(6):687-95.
- Retrospective evaluation of interfraction ureteral movement in dogs undergoing radiation therapy to elucidate appropriate setup margins.Yoshikawa H, Nolan MW, Lewis DW, et al. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2015.
- Mutation spectra of Kras and Tp53 in urethral and lung neoplasms in B6C3F1 mice treated with 3,3,4,4-tetrachloroazobenzene.Bhusari S, Malarkey DE, Hong HH, Wang Y, Masinde T, Nolan M, Hooth M, Sills R, Vasconcelos D, Hoenerhoff, MJ. | Toxicologic Pathology, published online, May 2013.
- Accuracy of CT and MRI for contouring the feline optic apparatus for radiation therapy planning.Nolan MW, Randall EK, LaRue SM, Lunn KF, Stewart J, Kraft SL. | Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound, published online, June 2013.
- Stereotactic radiation therapy for treatment of feline injection-site sarcomas: 11 cases (2008-2012).Nolan MW, Griffin LR, Custis JT, LaRue SM. | Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 243:526-531, 2013.
- Intensity-modulated and image-guided radiation therapy for treatment genitourinary carcinomas in dogs.Nolan MW, Kogan L, Griffin LR, Custis JT, Biller BJ, Harmon JF, LaRue SM. | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 26(4): 987-995, 2012.
- Chemical carcinogenesis of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) in rodents: an overview with emphasis on NTP carcinogenesis bioassays.Chandra SA, Nolan MW, Malarkey DE. | Toxicologic Pathology, 38(1): 188-197, 2010.