Steven Suter, VMD, MS, PhD, DACVIM
Associate Professor of Medical Oncology, Medical Director: Canine Bone Marrow transplant Unit
AffiliationsDiplomate ACVIM (Oncology)
Associate Member, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, UNC
Member, Comparative Medicine Institute, NC State
Member, Veterinary Cancer Society
Member, North Carolina Veterinary Medical Association
CertificationsBS (Biology/Chemistry), Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1982
MS (Biochemistry), New York Medical College, 1991
VMD, University of Pennsylvania, 1995
PhD (Molecular Biology), Laboratory of Dr. Paula Henthorn, Section of Medical Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, 2001
Diplomate ACVIM (Oncology), 2004
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsMy laboratory's main research focus is geared towards understanding the molecular underpinnings of canine hematologic malignancies using a variety of sophisticated "genomics" techniques such as qRT-PCR, gene expression profiling, epigenetic profiling, RNAseq, and GWAS studies. The laboratory also houses the vast majority of published canine lymphoid cell lines which we use for a variety of cell cytotoxicity studies to evaluate novel therapeutics. Finally, the laboratory houses the Canine/Feline Oncology Diagnostic Laboratory which offers a variety of PCR-based diagnostic tests for both NCSU CVM and referring veterinarians.
- (2016) Surgical management of colonic adenocarcinoma in a rat (Rattus norvegicus).Applegate JR Jr, Troan BV, Chen LR, Suter SE. | Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine.
- (2015) Genome-wide assessment of recurrent genomic imbalances in canine leukemia identifies evolutionarily conserved regions for subtype differentiation.Roode SC, Rotroff D, Avery AC, Suter SE, Bienzle D, Schiffman JD, Motsinger-Reif A, Breen M. | Chromosome Res. 2015 Dec;23(4):681-708. doi: 10.1007/s10577-015-9475-7. Epub 2015 Jun 3.
- (2015) CD45+ and CD45- lymphocyte populations identified by flow cytometry from dogs with lymphoma exhibit similar morphology and the same clonal (B cell or T cell) lineage.Fogle JE, Tarigo JL, Thalheim L, Williams LE, English LB, Suter SE. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2015 Dec 15;168(3-4):242-8. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2015.10.004. Epub 2015 Oct 22.
- (2015) Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in a dog with acute large granular lymphocytic leukemia.Suter SE, Hamilton MJ, Sullivan EW, Venkataraman GM. | J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2015 May 1;246(9):994-7. doi: 10.2460/javma.246.9.994.
- (2015) Man's best friend: what can pet dogs teach us about non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?Richards KL, Suter SE. | Immunol Rev. 2015 Jan;263(1):173-91. doi: 10.1111/imr.12238. Review.
- (2014) Expression of asparagine synthetase predicts in vitro response to L-asparaginase in canine lymphoid cell lines.Smallwood TL, Small GW, Suter SE, Richards KL. | Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Jun;55(6):1357-65. doi: 10.3109/10428194.2013.842980. Epub 2013 Nov 14.
- (2014) Evaluation of thromboelastography to predict clinical bleeding in thrombocytopenic dogs after total body irraditation and hematopoietic cell transplantation.Bucknoff M, Hanel R, Marks S, Motsinger_Reif S, Suter S,. | Am J Vet Res 75(5):425-32, 2014
- (2014) Autologous peripheral blood hematopoietic cell transplantation in dogs with T-cell lymphoma.Warry EE, Willcox JL, Suter SE. | J Vet Intern Med. 2014 Mar-Apr;28(2):529-37. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12302. Epub 2014 Jan 27.
- (2014) VH1-44 gene usage defines a subset of canine B-cell lymphomas associated with better patient survival.Chen HW, Small GW, Motsinger-Reif A, Suter SE, Richards KL. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2014 Feb 15;157(3-4):125-30. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2013.10.020. Epub 2013 Nov 21.
- (2013) Lymphoma immunophenotype of dogs determined by immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, and polymerase chain reaction for antigen receptor rearrangements.Thalheim L, Williams LE, Borst LB, Fogle JE, Suter SE. | J Vet Intern Med. 2013 Nov-Dec;27(6):1509-16. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12185. Epub 2013 Sep 20.
- (2013) Gene profiling of canine B-cell lymphoma reveals germinal center and postgerminal center subtypes with different survival times, modeling human DLBCL.Richards KL, Motsinger-Reif AA, Chen HW, Fedoriw Y, Fan C, Nielsen DM, Small GW, Thomas R, Smith C, Dave SS, Perou CM, Breen M, Borst LB, Suter SE. | Cancer Res. 2013 Aug 15;73(16):5029-39. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-12-3546. Epub 2013 Jun 19.
- (2013) Apheresis in three dogs weighing <14 kg.Posner LP, Willcox JL, Suter SE. | Vet Anaesth Analg 2013 Jul;40(4):403-9. doi: 10.1111/vaa.12026. Epub 2013 Mar 1.
- (2013) CD8+ clonality is associated with prolonged acute plasma viremia and altered mRNA cytokine profiles during the course of feline immunodeficiency virus infection.Miller MM, Thompson EM, Suter SE, Fogle JE. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013 Apr 15;152(3-4):200-8. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2012.12.005. Epub 2012 Dec 20.
- (2013) Reading between the lines: molecular characterization of five widely used canine lymphoid tumour cell lines.Seiser EL, Thomas R, Richards KL, Kelley MK, Moore P, Suter SE, Breen M. | Vet Comp Oncol. 2013 Mar;11(1):30-50. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5829.2011.00299.x. Epub 2011 Nov 23.
- (2013) Chemical Restraint and Fluid Therapy for Apheresis in Three Dogs Weighing Less than 14kgPosner LP, Willcox JL, Suter SE | Vet Anaesth Analg 2013 Mar 1. doi: 10.1111/vaa.12026. [Epub ahead of print]
- (2012) Autologous peripheral blood hematopoietic cell transplantation in dogs with B-cell lymphoma.Willcox JL, Pruitt A, Suter SE. | J Vet Intern Med Sept-Oct;26(5): 1155-63, 2012.
- (2012) Hematologic changes after total body irradiation and autologous transplantation of hematopoietic peripheral blood progenitor cells in dogs with lymphoma.Escobar G, Grindem C, Neel JA, Suter SE. | Vet Pathol Mar;49(2): 341-3, 2012.
- (2010) Evaluation of an in vitro telomeric repeat amplification protocol assay to detect telomerase activity in canine urine.McCleary-Wheeler AL, Williams LE, Hess PR, Suter SE. | Am J Vet Res. 2010 Dec;71(12):1468-74. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.71.12.1468.
- (2011) Collection of peripheral blood CD34+ progenitor cells from healthy dogs and dogs diagnosed with lymphoproliferative diseases using a Baxter-Fenwal CS-3000 Plus blood cell separator.Suter SE. | J Vet Intern Med Nov-Dec;25(6): 1406-13, 2011.
- (2011) Refining tumor-associated aneuploidy through 'genomic recoding' of recurrent DNA copy number aberrations in 150 canine non-Hodgkin lymphomas.Thomas R, Seiser EL, Motsinger-Reif A, Borst L, Valli VE, Kelley K, Suter SE, Argyle D, Burgess K, Bell J, Lindblad-Toh K, Modiano JF, Breen M. | Leuk Lymphoma. 2011 Jul;52(7):1321-35. doi: 10.3109/10428194.2011.559802. Epub 2011 Mar 7.
- (2011) FLT3 mutations in canine acute lymphocytic leukemia.Suter SE, Small GW, Seiser EL, Thomas R, Breen M, Richards KL. | BMC Cancer Jan 27;11:38, 2011.
- (2009) Solitary intracerebral plasmacytoma in a dog: microscopic, immunohistochemical, and molecular features.Van Wettere AJ, Linder KE, Suter SE, Olby NJ. | Vet Pathol. 2009 Sep;46(5):949-51. doi: 10.1354/vp.08-VP-0012-V-BC. Epub 2009 May 9.
- (2009) Sequential low-dose rate half-body irradiation and chemotherapy for the treatment of canine multicentric lymphoma.Lurie DM, Gordon IK, Théon AP, Rodriguez CO, Suter SE, Kent MS | J Vet Intern Med. 2009 Sep-Oct;23(5):1064-70. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2009.0353.x. Epub 2009 Jul 14.
- (2009) Canine cutaneous epitheliotropic T-cell lymphoma with vesiculobullous lesions resembling human bullous mycosis fungoides.Bizikova P, Linder KE, Suter SE, Van Wettere AJ, Olivry T. | Vet Dermatol. 2009 Aug;20(4):281-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3164.2009.00760.x.
- (2009) Soy derived isoflavones inhibit the growth of canine lymphoid cell lines.Jamadar-Shroff V, Papich M, Suter SE. | Clin Can Research 15;4(Feb 15): 1269-1275, 2009.
- (2008) Erythrophagocytic low-grade extranodal T-cell lymphoma in a cat.Carter JE, Tarigo JL, Vernau W, Cecere TE, Hovis RL, Suter SE. | Vet Clin Pathol. 2008 Dec;37(4):416-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-165X.2008.00073.x.
- (2008) Immunophenotypic and cytomorphologic subclassification of T-cell lymphoma in the boxer breed.Lurie DM, Milner RJ, Suter SE, Vernau W. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 125: 102-110, 2008.
- (2007) CD34+, CD41+ acute megakaryoblastic leukemia in a dog.Suter SE, Vernau W, Fry MM, London CA. | Vet Clin Pathol. 2007 Sep;36(3):288-92.
- (2007) Obesity prevalence in dogs with cancer: 1999-2004.Weeth LP, Fascetti AJ, Kass PH, Suter SE, Santos AM, Delaney SJ. | Am J Vet Res Apr;68(4):389-98, 2007.
- (2007) Marking of peripheral T-lymphocytes by retroviral transduction and transplantation of CD34+ cells in a canine X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency model.Suter SE, Hartnett BE, Gouthro TA, McSweeney PA, Nash RA, Felsburg PJ, Haskins ME, Henthorn PS. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol 117:183-196, 2007.
- (2006) Transduction of ennriched populations of paediatric canine CD34+ cells using an MSCV- based bicistronic vector.Suter SE, Gouthro TA, McSweeney PA, Nash RA, Haskins ME, Felsburg PJ, Henthorn PS. | Vet Res Comm 30:881-901, 2006.
- (2005) Canine distemper virus infection of canine lymphoid cells: A prelude to oncolytic therapy for lymphoma.Suter SE, Madewell BR, Chein MB, von Messling V, Yip, B, Cattaneo, RB, London, CA. | Clin Cancer Res. Feb 15;11(4):1579-87, 2005.
- (2004) Isolation and characterization of pediatric canine bone marrow CD34+ Cells.Suter SE, Gouthro TA, McSweeney PA, Nash RA, Haskins ME, Felsburg PJ, Henthorn PS. | Vet Immunol Immunopathol. Sep;101(1-2):31-47, 2004.
- (2002) Transplantation of X-linked severe combined immunodeficient dogs with CD34+ bone marrow cells.Hartnett BJ, Yao D, Suter SE, Ellinwood NM, Henthorn PS, Moore PE, McSweeney PA, Nash RA, Brown JD, Weinberg KI, Felsberg PJ. | Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 8(4):188-97, 2002.
- (1997) Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) of X-SCID dogs with d c chain heterozygous bone marrow cells.Hartnett BJ, Suter SE, Henthorn PE, Weinberg KI, Moore PF, Ochs HD, and Felsburg PJ. | J Allergy and Immuno V0099:414 N:P255, 1997.
- (1997) Full immunological reconstitution following non-conditional bone marrow transplantation for canine X-linked secure combined immunodeficiency.Felsburg PF, Somberg RL, Hartnett BJ, Suter SE , Henthorn PS, Moore PF, Weinberg KI, Ochs HP. | Blood 90:3212-3221, 1997.
Plasmapheresis a Potentially Life-saving Approach to Veterinary ImmunotherapyA relatively new therapy in veterinary medicine, plasmapheresis can be used to treat immune-mediated diseases. It is used almost exclusively after traditional drug therapy, even with increased dosage, proves ineffective...
NC State Veterinary Hospital Provides Dialysis TreatmentHemodialysis comes into play with severe cases of acute kidney injury (kidney failure) resulting from infection or any other causes. Candidates for this treatment demonstrate such symptoms as...
Canine Bone Marrow Transplants Return to the NC State Vet HospitalThe CVM was the first — and remains the only — veterinary college in the world to offer bone marrow transplants for dogs...
Two CVM Researchers Among Recipients of First C3O Cancer GrantsA joint funding project from CVM and the Duke Cancer Institute, the C3O grants support research that will translate laboratory discoveries into therapeutic applications...
CCMTR Hosts Symposium on Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine
The State of North Carolina is well poised to play a central role in the area of regenerative medicine. Key medical institutions including UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest, coupled with the NC State University’s unique expertise in engineering and veterinary medicine, and the existence of collaborative networks such as the NC State Center for Comparative
CVM Researchers Interviewed for AKC Genome Barks (podcasts)
Lee Arnold of the American Kennel Club and Canine Health Foundation Boards of Directors hosts Genome Barks, an AKC-sponsored series of podcasts. Dr. Steve Suter on canine lymphoma cell lines. These cell lines will provide a tool to study the disease on a cellular level and determine the molecular behavior of lymphoma. Dr. Adam Birkenheuer