USDA APHIS NBAF Scientist Training Program
The purpose of the USDA APHIS NBAF Scientist Training Program, or NSTP, is to build necessary technical and subject matter expertise.
NSTP fellows will receive the following for a maximum of five years.
Full tuition and supplementary support to complete an MS, PhD, or DVM/PhD program in target laboratory-based fields of study such as microbiology, virology, molecular biology, diagnostics, and bioinformatics;
- A stipend ($50,000 annually for PhD or DVM/PhD students; $35,000 annually for MS students) and health benefits;
- Materials and supplies ($20,000 annually);
- Travel support ($5,000 annually); and
- Publication costs ($1,000 annually).
- Successful candidates must be U.S. citizens and satisfy the following requirements.
- Meet all requirements of the University graduate program and have been accepted into an approved graduate training program (MS, PhD, DVM/PhD) at time of application to NSTP;
- Identify a faculty mentor supportive of enrollment in NSTP;
- 3 letters of recommendations;
- Exhibit a strong interest in emerging, zoonotic and/or foreign animal diseases; and
- Download the full terms and conditions, requirements, and service commitment (PDF)
- For Spring Admission it is November 1, 2018, for Fall it is June 1 2019
- Please notify Dr. Kate Meurs that you are applying to this program: Kate_Meurs@ncsu.edu
- Applications should be emailed to: NSTP@aphis.usda.gov