Go behind the scenes of the #3 veterinary college in the country.
- 1. Library: Come draw your favorite animal, relax and enjoy animal books or videos on care and training, observe a 3D printer in action, or explore virtual horse or dog anatomy.2. Green Commons: The Surgery Club hosts the Teddy Bear Clinic where a future veterinarian will stitch up your teddy bear’s wounds. Let our DVM student teach you about heartworms and common toxic agents. Our Pathology Club will show you the damage that these can cause. Learn how human and veterinary medicine complement one another by visiting our Laboratory Animal Club booth.
3. Main Hallway: Visit with members of student organizations focused on international travel, diversity, holistic medicine, and volunteer opportunities in veterinary medicine.
4. South Theater.
- 10:00 & 1:00 Live Surgical Demonstrations broadcast from surgery
- 11:00 & 2:00 Admissions Information Session for interested students and families
5. Blue Commons: Step right up to get your face painted($) by a talented DVM student! Learn about the about the DVM admission process and the importance of diversity and inclusion at NC State and in the veterinary field. Talk to Veterinary Professions Advising Center (VetPAC) representatives about how to be a unique and competitive applicant.
6. North Theater.
7 Outside Corral: Mare and foal on view all day with physical exam demonstrations 10-2:30 by the Equine Club members every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour.
8 Milking Parlor: See the source of your milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. 10:00, 11:30, 1:00 Automatic milking system demonstration.
9 Outside North Theater: Meet our business savvy vet students who represent the VBMA and spin their wheel to win cool prizes!
10 Dining Area: Indoor seating and tables where you can take a break or sit down to eat your Food Truck goodies. Food Truck goodies. Purchase some Howling Cow Ice Cream for dessert! Water and juice will also be available at our concessions stand ($). Water, juice and raffle tickets will also be available at our concessions stand ($).
11 Outside Dining Area: Food Trucks and hand-washing stations. Menus posted in dining area
12 Anatomy Lab: Meet first year students (Class of 2021) and check out awesome animal skeletons and models. Participate in the scavenger hunt to be entered to win some cool prizes!
13 Nutrition and your pet: Learn how to decipher a pet food label at the Nutrition Service and Lab/Nutrition Club.
14 Kids 4 Critters: Kids are the key to teaching responsibility towards animals – come learn from these volunteers!
15 Firestone Hall of Discovery:
Learn about “A Mission for Molly” and Canine Epilepsy Research.
Take part in a “mini” trial with the Clinical Studies Core and learn how you and your pet can make a difference for all. Explore veterinary professional careers with the North Carolina Association of Veterinary Technicians.
16 Upper Walkway: Live surgery viewable through glass picture window. Visit our “Dress Like a Vet” photo booth to take a picture with a cute animal!
17 D239: Live Surgical Demonstrations broadcast: 10:00 & 1:00.
18 Room D236: Meet the Wildlife, Avian, Aquatic and Zoological Medicine Club (WAAZM), and get up close to native wildlife such as turtles, snakes, and lizards. You can also learn about our WOLFPACK.
19 Room D232: Learn about our Exotic Animal Service who specialize in invertebrates, fishes, amphibians, and reptiles. Meet our Turtle Rescue Team! They rescue and rehabilitate over 300 turtles a year!
20 Conference Room: Learn about our General Practice Service. Talk to the Companion Animal Wellness club about wellness and preventative care.
21 Conference Room C247: Learn about ways to enrich your pet’s environment with the Behavioral Service and Behavior Club students..
22 Health Center Hallway: Learn about keeping you pet’s teeth healthy from Dentistry and about our Blood Bank. Enjoy the Purebred Show Cats and learn about feline medicine from the Feline Club and Shelter Medicine Club.
23 Simulation Lab (SimLab): See how vet students learn! They practice clinical procedures and surgery (such as blood draws, suturing, catheter placement) using a large variety of models. They start with very basic skills. Practice using your hands instead of your eyes to identify objects.
24 AnimalScan: See one of the few animal MRI units in the country.
25 Radiology Room: Learn what the Equine and Farm Animal Service offers patients.
26 Breezeway: Learn how the CVM helps veterinarians care for North Carolina’s poultry, swine, cattle, sheep and goats and get up close with our own farm animals. Learn about the many equine services provided by the Equine and Farm Animal Veterinary Center (EFAVC). Play a game with the Therio Club to match a baby animal to its parents. Wash your hands and learn about the transmission of diseases from our Public Health Club.
27 Outside (back): Fistulated Steer demonstrations at 10:30, 1:30 & 2:30.
28 Outside (front): Buy a CVM T-Shirt and other merchandise from SAVMA. Proceeds go to student organizations.
29 Outside (front): Milk a Cow with the help of the Bovine Club ($$) and try Howling Cow Milk ($$).
30 Outside (front): Large Animal Demos
9:15 am Farrier Demo
10:15 am Farrier Demo
11: 00 am Anatomy Demo
11:30 am Endoscopy Demo
12:15 pm Anatomy Demo
1:00 pm Endoscopy Demo
2:15 pm Physical Exam Demo
Research Building Tour
Learn how scientists are helping to improve and save lives.
OPEN HOUSE HOME PAGE
Go back to the main page.
VETERINARY HOSPITAL TOUR
Get an in-depth view of our world-class hospital facilities.
Open House Overview Map
View a downloadable map of all tour stops.