Goal Three: Four-Year Objectives
- Invest in research areas of excellence identified through strategic planning.
- Ensure success through a comprehensive program of mentoring to launch and sustain research programs.
- Cultivate collaborative, interdisciplinary and translational research that leverages our unique strengths.
- Ensure our training programs provide leading-edge biomedical education and research instruction.
Measures of Success
- Productivity and impact of our research.
- Success in winning external support from federal, industry and foundation sources.
- Graduate student success documented through awards, publications and employment outcomes.
- Participation of our researchers in interdisciplinary activity outside the College.
Goal 3 Objectives and Milestones
Invest in research areas of excellence identified through strategic planning
- Strategically invest new research funding to provide the most efficient and impactful growth of our metrics by:
- Providing bridging funds for faculty very close to moving to the next stage of their career
- Investing in grant mentoring opportunities from successful writers
- Providing pilot funding for faculty who have participated in grant mentoring but need more data to obtain success
- Investing in equipment or personnel that improves faculty research efficiency
Ensure our training programs provide leading-edge biomedical education and research instruction
- Provide monthly professional development programs that are open to all graduate students, post doctoral fellow and house offices on academic and industry career development
- Provide every other month programs that culminate in the award of the Comparative Biomedical Teaching Certificate.
- Provide biweekly and monthly grant writing mentorship for trainees pursuing federal funding opportunities.
- Provide funded externship opportunities with industry partners for trainees interested in careers in industry
- Develop a program for mentoring & career advancement for Research Staff.
- Develop a monthly meeting for research staff for networking and topic discussions
- Develop a team of research staff volunteers who will provide input and serve as liaisons between staff and college leadership
- Develop continuing education options for research staff under the direction of the research staff liaisons
2. Develop a program of mentoring for CVM post-doctoral fellows
- Develop a faculty committee to oversee and develop a mentoring and educational program for post-doctoral fellows
- Institute the first phase of a structured program that will provide career mentoring for post-doctoral fellows
Improve College community awareness of ongoing research and collaborative opportunities
- Redesign the Research internal website to provide research tools and networking information for both faculty and research staff
- Develop research connection videos that provide information on ongoing research in brief, time efficient snippets
- Use social media to provide updates on college faculty, staff and student research achievements