Dr. Messenger obtained her BS in Animal Science from NCSU in 2002, and Ph.D. in
Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacology focus, in 2016 under the mentorship
of Dr. Mark Papich.
Dr. Messenger joined MBS in 2015 as a veterinary anesthesiologist, and then as a an
assistant professor of clinical pharmacology in 2017. As an Associate Professor in the
Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences, Dr. Messenger’s lab focuses on the
pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of analgesic drugs, and utilizes unique,
minimally-invasive methods to optimize drug therapy in animals.
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 2011
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology, 2014
Post-graduate Certificate in Veterinary Education, Royal Veterinary College, 2019
Area(s) of Expertise
Pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics; analgesic and anesthetic drugs.
- Comparative growth dynamics of bacterial and fungal contaminants in bupivacaine liposomal injectable suspension, bupivacaine 0.5%, and propofol , PLOS ONE (2023)
- Efficacy of inguinal buffered lidocaine and intranasal flunixin meglumine on mitigating physiological and behavioral responses to pain in castrated piglets , FRONTIERS IN PAIN RESEARCH (2023)
- Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of orally administered acetaminophen (paracetamol) in adult horses with experimentally induced endotoxemia , JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE (2023)
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of intramuscular alfaxalone in central bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps): effect of injection site , VETERINARY ANAESTHESIA AND ANALGESIA (2023)
- Ceftazidime pharmacokinetics in dogs after intravenous injection and delivered with the RxActuator Mini-Infuser infusion pump , JOURNAL OF VETERINARY EMERGENCY AND CRITICAL CARE (2022)
- Effects of housing environment on oral absorption of acetaminophen in healthy Beagles , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH (2022)
- Interleukin-1 beta in tendon injury enhances reparative gene and protein expression in mesenchymal stem cells , FRONTIERS IN VETERINARY SCIENCE (2022)
- Intravenous dexmedetomidine, morphine, or a combination can result in gallbladder wall thickening; with no significant association with plasma histamine concentrations , VETERINARY RADIOLOGY & ULTRASOUND (2022)
- Novel subcutaneous cytarabine infusion with the Omnipod system in dogs with meningoencephalomyelitis of unknown etiology , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH (2022)
- Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic modeling of ketoprofen and flunixin at piglet castration and tail-docking , JOURNAL OF VETERINARY PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPEUTICS (2022)