Ph.D.: 1980, Pharmacology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, City University of New York. Mentor, Dr. Peter Bentley
Post-doctoral: 1981-2, Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Mentor, Dr. Laszlo Bito
Treasurer, International Society for Eye Research, 2012-Present
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Member, National Advisory Eye Council, 2007-2011
RECENT PRESENTATIONS AT MEETINGS
- McGahan, M.C., M. Lall, J. Ferrell, M. Goralska, L. Fleisher, S. Nagar, J. Harned. 2010. Iron regulated gene expression trough control of hypoxia-inducible factor-1. Invited Paper for the XIX International Society for Eye Research meeting, Montreal in July, 2010.
- McGahan, M.C., M. Goralska, L.N. Fleisher, M. Lall, S. Nagar, P. Mzyk, J. Harned. 2011. Hypoxia increases glutamate secretion by retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. (Suppl.) Abstract # 890
- McGahan, M.C., S. Nagar, M. Goralska, L.N. Fleisher, J. Harned. 2012. Transepithelial iron transport and polarized iron reuptake in retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. (Suppl.). Abstract #5347
- McGahan, M.C., S. Nagar, M. Goralska, L. Fleisher, J. Harned. 2012. Hypoxia regulates iron influx and efflux in retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Presented at XX International Society for Eye Research meeting, Berlin, Germany, July 2012.
- M. Goralska, L.N. Fleisher, M.C. McGahan. 2012. Hypoxia differentially affects expression of H- and L- ferritin chains in cultured lens epithelial cells. Presented at XX International Society for Eye Research meeting, Berlin, Germany, July 2012.
- McGahan, M.C., Nagar, S., Lall, M.M. 2013. Hypoxia affects polarized secretion of amyloid precursor protein from retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. Abstract #6352. Presented at the ARVO meeting in Seattle, WA.
Area(s) of Expertise
Regulation of Fe metabolism in the eye, the involvement of Fe in cataract formation, mechanisms underlying post-surgical regrowth of lens tissue, uveitis, retinal physiology & pathology.
- Vitreous Humor Changes Expression of Iron-Handling Proteins in Lens Epithelial Cells , INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE (2017)
- Evaluation of the proliferative capacity of canine retinal pigment epithelial cells harvested from different regions of the fundus , Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (2016)
- Hypoxia alters the expression, movement, and secretion of APP in retinal pigmented epithelial (RPE) cells , Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (2016)
- Hypoxia controls iron metabolism and glutamate secretion in retinal pigmented epithelial cells , BIOCHIMICA ET BIOPHYSICA ACTA-GENERAL SUBJECTS (2014)
- Hypoxia induced changes in expression of proteins involved in iron uptake and storage in cultured lens epithelial cells , EXPERIMENTAL EYE RESEARCH (2014)
- Hydrogen peroxide and extracellular signal-related kinase 1/2 pathway regulate ferritin levels in retinal pigmented and lens epithelial cells , Molecular Vision (2013)
- Ceruloplasmin alters intracellular iron regulated proteins and pathways: Ferritin, transferrin receptor, glutamate and hypoxia-inducible factor-1α , Experimental Eye Research (2012)
- Altered Ferritin Subunit Composition: Change in Iron Metabolism in Lens Epithelial Cells and Downstream Effects on Glutathione Levels and VEGF Secretion , INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE (2010)
- Changes in Ferritin H- and L-Chains in Canine Lenses with Age-Related Nuclear Cataract , INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE (2009)
- Distribution of ferritin chains in canine lenses with and without age-related nuclear cataracts , Molecular Vision (2009)