Bruce W Keene, DVM, MSc, DACVIM
Jane Lewis Seaks Distinguished Professor of Companion Animal Medicine
Link to publications: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Keene+B
AffiliationsAmerican College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, American Society of Echocardiography, Adjunct Professor of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology)
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsMy research is focused on the design and performance of clinical trials that test the safety and efficacy of new medications or minimally invasive interventions potentially useful in the management of spontaneous heart diseases of dogs and cats.
- (2017) Pilot study to determine the feasibility of radiation therapy for dogs with right atrial masses and hemorrhagic pericardial effusion.Nolan MW, Arkans MM, LaVine D, DeFrancesco T, Myers JA, Griffith EH, Posner LP, Keene BW, Tou SP, Gieger TL. | J Vet Cardiol. pii: S1760-2734(17)30033-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jvc.2016.12.001. [Epub ahead of print] Mar 7, 2017.
- 2016 Use of RNA-seq to identify cardiac genes and gene pathways differentially expressed between dogs with and without dilated cardiomyopathy.Friedenberg SG, Chdid L, Keene B, Sherry B, Motsinger-Reif A, Meurs KM. | Am J Vet Res 2016 Jul; 77(7):693-9.
- (2013) Outcomes and complications associated with epicardial pacemakers in 28 dogs and 5 cats.Visser LC, Keene BW, Mathews KG, Browne WJ, Chanoit G. | Vet Surg 2013 Jun;42(5):544-50. Epub 2013 May 10.
- (2007) Prospective clinical evaluation of an ELISA B-type natriuretic peptide assay in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure in dogs presenting with cough or dyspnea.DeFrancesco TC, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Hansen BD, Keene BW, Moore DT, Atkins CE. | J Vet Intern Med 2007 Mar-Apr; 21(2):243-250.
- (2007) Evaluation of an accelerometer for at-home monitoring of spontaneous activity in dogsHansen B, Lascelles BDX, Keene BW, Adams A, Thomson A | American Journal of Veterinary Research (2007) 68(5):468-475
- (2007) Cystoscopic guided balloon dilation of a urethral stricture in a female dog.Wood MW, Vaden SL, Cerda-Gonzalez S, Keene B. | Can Vet J, 2007, 48:731-733.
- (2006) Coil occlusion of residual shunts after surgical closure of patent ductus arteriosus.Fujii Y, Keene BW, Mathews KG, Atkins CE, Defrancesco TC, Hardie EM, Wakao Y. | Vet Surg 2006 Dec; 35(8):781-785.
- (2001) Percutaneous retrieval of a jugular catheter fragment from the pulmonary artery of a 10-day-old foal.Little D, Keene BW, Bruton C, Smith LJ, Powell S, Jones SL. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:212-214.
The Heart of the Matter
When Clarke Atkins and Bruce Keene joined the faculty of NC State’s College of Veterinary Medicine three decades ago, they had no way of knowing how intertwined their careers would become. They had already worked together at the University of Wisconsin for five years when two positions became available at NC State. “We came here
New Ethics Committee Aims to Help Veterinarians Navigate Complex Care Situations
Advances in veterinary technology provide pet owners with an ever-increasing array of treatment options for their pets. However, more options can lead to complex situations and difficult questions about care goals and quality of life that must be navigated by veterinary caregivers and pet owners. Clinicians and researchers from North Carolina State University and Duke
Keene Named Jane Lewis Seaks Distinguished Professor for Companion Animal Medicine
NC State College of Veterinary Medicine Dean Paul Lunn (far left) Jane Lewis Seaks Distinguished Professor Dr. Bruce Keene, benefactor Terry G. Seaks, and Professor Emeritus Dr. Clarke Atkins who holds a portrait photograph of Jane Lewis Seaks. Bruce W. Keene, a professor of cardiology, has been named the Jane Lewis Seaks Distinguished Professor for