Kyle Mathews, DVM, MS, DACVS
Professor, Soft Tissue and Oncologic Surgery
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Internship, University of Pennsylvania
Residency, University of Minnesota
Clinical Instructor, University of California, Davis, 1993-1997
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsInvestigational and minimally invasive treatment modalities (surgical techniques, drug delivery methods and biomedical implants).
Evaluation of the influence of muscle transection on swallowing dysfunction and aspiration in dogs following a lateral surgical approach to the larynx.
Evaluation of swallowing function in dogs undergoing surgery for the treatment of laryngeal paralysis, hyperparathyroidism or thyroid neoplasia.
The canine sacroiliac joint angle: Breed variations and relationship to lumbosacral, pelvic, and stifle angles.
- (2014) The effect of photodynamic therapy on cisterna chyli patency in rats.Rowe EA, Mathews KG, Linder KE, Tate LP. | Vet Surg 2014 Aug;43(6):642-9. Epub 2014 Jun 7.
- (2014) Hemipelvectomy: a outcome in 84 dogs and 16 cats. A veterinary society of surgical oncology retrospective study.Bray JP, Worley D, Henderson RA, Boston SE, Mathews KG, Romanelli G, Bacon NJ, Liptak JM, Scase TJ. | Vet Surg 2014 Jan;43(1):27-37. Epub 2013 Nov 20.
- (2013) Outcomes and complications associated with epicardial pacemakers in 28 dogs and 5 cats.Visser LC, Keene BW, Mathews KG, Browne WJ, Chanoit G. | Vet Surg 2013 Jun;42(5):544-50. Epub 2013 May 10.
- (2011) Evaluation of postceliotomy peritoneal drain fluid volume, cytology, and blood-to-peritoneal fluid lactate and glucose differences in normal dogs.Szabo S, Jermyn K, Neel J, Mathews KG. | Vet Surg 2011 Jun;40(4):444-9. Epub 2011 Apr 5.
- (2010) Evaluation of a midhumeral block of the radial, ulnar, musculocutaneous and median (RUMM block) nerves for analgesia of the distal aspect of the thoracic limb in dogs.Trumpatori BJ, Carter JE, Hash J, Davidson GS, Mathews KG, Roe SC, Lascelles BD. | Vet Surg 2010 Oct;39(7):785-96.
- (2010) Preparation of Canine and Feline Cadavers for Surgical Laboratories.Mathews KG, Riley K, Lascelles BDX, Dernell WS. | Veterinary Surgery 39: 224-225. [Epub: 6th January 2010, DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2009.00586.x]
- (2009) Biomechanical comparison of four soft tissue replacement materials: an in vitro evaluation of single and multilaminate porcine small intestine submucosa, canine fascia lata, and polypropylene mesh.Arnold GA, Mathews KG, Roe S, Mente P, Seaboch T. | Vet Surg 2009 Oct; 38(7):834-44.
- (2009) Assessment of clotrimazole gels for in vitro stability and in vivo retention in the frontal sinus of dogs.Mathews KG, Linder K, Davidson GS, Goldman RB, Papich MG. | Am J Vet Res 2009 May; 70(5):640-647.
- (2009) Effect of fascial abrasion, fasciotomy, and fascial excision on cutaneous wound healing in cats.Mitsui A, Mathews KG, Linder KE, Kruse MA, Roe SC. | Am J Vet Res 2009 Apr; 70(4):532-538.
- (2008) Evaluation of wraps covering the distal aspect of pelvic limbs for prevention of bacterial strike-through in an ex vivo canine model.Vince KJ, Lascelles BDX, Mathews KG, Altier C, Roe SC. | Vet Surg 2008 Jun;37(4):406-11.
- (2006) Median sternotomy closure in dogs: a mechanical comparison of technique stability.Davis KM, Roe SC, Mathews KG, Mente PL. | Vet Surg 2006 Apr; 35(3):271-7.
- (2006) Coil occlusion of residual shunts after surgical closure of patent ductus arteriosus.Fujii Y, Keene BW, Mathews KG, Atkins CE, Defrancesco TC, Hardie EM, Wakao Y. | Vet Surg 2006 Dec; 35(8):781-785.
- (2006) Subtotal ear canal ablation in 18 dogs and one cat with minimal distal ear canal pathology.Mathews KG, Hardie EM, Murphy KM. | J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2006 Sep-Oct; 42(5):371-380.
- (2005) The effects of patient positioning and slice selection on canine acetabular angle assessment with computed tomography.Wang SI, Mathews KG, Robertson ID, Stebbins M, Trumpatroi BJ. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2005 Jan-Feb; 46(1):39-43.
- (2005) Management and outcome of cats with ureteral calculi: 153 cases. (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LG, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005 Mar 15; 226(6):937-44.
- (2005) Clinical, clinicopathologic, radiographic, and ultrasonographic abnormalities in cats with ureteral calculi: 163 cases (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LD, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226(6):932-936.
- (2004) Biomechanical evaluation of suture pull-out from canine arytenoid cartilages: effects of hole diameter, suture configuration, suture size and distraction rate.Mathews KG, Roe S, Stebbins M, Barnes R, Mente PL. | Vet Surg 2004 May-Jun; 33(3):191-9.
- (2004) In vitro prediction of canine urolith mineral composition using computed tomographic beam attenuation measurements.Pressler BM, Mohammadian LA, Li E, Vaden SL, Levine JF, Mathews KG, Robertson ID. | J Vet Rad Ultrasound, 2004; 45:189-197.
- (2003) Radiographic anatomy of the canine coxofemoral joint using dorsal acetabular rim (DAR) view.Trumpatori B, Mathews KG, Roe S, Robertson ID. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2003 Sep-Oct; 44(5):526-532. [First author trainee]
- (2003) Ratite cancellous xenograft: effects on avian fracture healing.Mathews KG, Danova NA, Newman H, Barnes HJ, Phillips L. | Vet Comp Orthop Trauma 2003 Jan; 16(1):50-8.
- (2001) Canine pubic symphysiodesis: investigation of electrocautery dose response by histologic examination and temperature measurement.Patricelli AJ, Dueland RT, Lu Y, Fialkowski J, Mathews KG. | Vet Surg 2001 May-Jun; 30(3):261-268.
- (1998) Comparison of topical administration of clotrimazole through surgically placed versus nonsurgically placed catheters for treatment of nasal aspergillosis in dogs: 60 cases (1990-1996).Mathews KG, Davidson AP, Koblik PD, Richardson EF, Komtebedde J, Pappagianis D, Hector RF, Kass PH. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998 Aug 15;213(4):501-6.
- (1997) Renal transplants in cats: 66 cases (1987-1996).Mathews KG, Gregory CR. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Dec; 211(11):1432-1436.
- (1997) Central nervous system disorders after renal transplantation in cats.Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Aronson LR, Ilkiw JE, LeCouteur RA, Aldrich J. | Vet Surg 1997 Sep-Oct; 26(5):386-392.
- (1996) Computed tomographic assessment of noninvasive intranasal infusions in dogs with fungal rhinitis.Mathews KG, Koblik PD, Richardson EF, Davidson AP, Pappagianis D. | Vet Surg 1996 Jul-Aug; 25(4):309-319.
- (1996) The effect of pubic symphysiodesis on acetabular rotation and pelvic development in guinea pigs.Mathews KG, Stover SM, Kass PH. | Am J Vet Res 1996 Oct; 57(10):1427-1433.
Engineering a New Life for ThumperReplacing rear legs with wheelchair devices is increasingly common in companion animals, but doing so with the delicate front legs of cats is particularly difficult...
For Seaks, Miracles Stand the Test of TimePeople who love their pets know the bonds that exist between ourselves and our animal companions are especially strong. Someone who understands that dynamic very well is Terry Seaks, economics professor emeritus...
Veterinary Medicine's Masked HeroesFor the soft tissue and oncologic surgery service, breadth of cases is the daily norm
CCMTR Hosts Symposium on Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine
The State of North Carolina is well poised to play a central role in the area of regenerative medicine. Key medical institutions including UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest, coupled with the NC State University’s unique expertise in engineering and veterinary medicine, and the existence of collaborative networks such as the NC State Center for Comparative