Kyle Mathews, DVM, MS, DACVS
Professor, Soft Tissue and Oncologic Surgery
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Internship, University of Pennsylvania
Residency, University of Minnesota
Clinical Instructor, University of California, Davis, 1993-1997
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsInvestigational and minimally invasive treatment modalities (surgical techniques, drug delivery methods and biomedical implants).
Evaluation of the influence of muscle transection on swallowing dysfunction and aspiration in dogs following a lateral surgical approach to the larynx.
Evaluation of swallowing function in dogs undergoing surgery for the treatment of laryngeal paralysis, hyperparathyroidism or thyroid neoplasia.
The canine sacroiliac joint angle: Breed variations and relationship to lumbosacral, pelvic, and stifle angles.
- Renal transplants in cats: 66 cases (1987-1996).Mathews KG, Gregory CR. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997;211: 1432-1436.
- Central nervous system disorders after renal transplantation in cats.Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Aronson LR, et al. | Vet Surg 1997;26:386-392.
- Computed tomographic assessment of noninvasive intranasal infusions in dogs with fungal rhinitis.Mathews KG, Koblik PD, Richardson EF, et al. | Vet Surg 1996;25:309-319.
- The effect of pubic symphysiodesis on acetabular rotation and pelvic development in guinea pigs.Mathews KG, Stover SM, Kass PH. | Am J Vet Res 1996;57:1427-1433.
- The effect of photoablation on cysterna chyli patency.Rowe E, Mathews KG, Tate LP, Linder KE. | Vet Surg (accepted).
- Hemipelvectomy: a revised technique and oncologic outcome in 100 patients: A Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology Retrospective Study.Bray JP, Worley D, Henderson R, Boston S, Mathews KG, et al. | Vet Surg 2014;43:27-37.
- Outcomes and complications associated with transdiaphragmatic epicardial pacemakers in 28 dogs and 5 cats (2005-2010).Visser LC, Keene BW, Mathews KG, et al. | Vet Surg 2013;42:544-550.
- Evaluation of post-operative peritoneal fluid volume, cytology and blood-to-fluid lactate and glucose in normal dogs after exploratory laparotomy.Szabo S, Jermyn K, Neel J, Mathews KG. | Vet Surg 2011;40:444-449.
- Biomechanical assessment of three soft tissue replacement materials An in vitro evaluation of porcine small intestinal submucosa, canine fascia lata, and polypropylene mesh.Arnold GA, Mathews KG, Roe S, et al. | Vet Surg 2009;38:834-44.
- Assessment clotrimazole gels for in vitro stability and in vivo retention in the frontal sinus of dogs.Mathews KG, Linder K, Davidson G, et al. | Am J Vet Res 2009;70:640-647.
- Effect of fascial abrasion, fasciotomy, and fascial excision on cutaneous wound healing in cats.Mitsui A, Mathews KG, Linder K, et al. | Am J Vet Res 2009;70:532-538.
- Coil occlusion of residual shunts after surgical closure of patent ductus arteriosus.Fujii Y, Keene BW, Mathews KG, et al. | Vet Surg 2006;35:781-785.
- Median sternotomy closure in dogs: a mechanical comparison of technique stability.Davis KM, Roe SC, Mathews KG, et al. | Vet Surg 2006;35:271-277.
- Subtotal ear canal ablation. Results in 18 dogs and one cat with minimal distal ear canal pathology.Mathews KG, Hardie EM, Murphy M. | J Amer Anim Hosp Assoc 2006;42:371-380.
- The effects of patient positioning and slice selection on canine acetabular angle assessment with computed tomography.Wang SI, Mathews KG, Robertson ID, et al. | Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 2005;46:39-43.
- Biomechanical evaluation of suture pull-out from canine arytenoid cartilages: Effects of hole diameter, suture configuration, suture size and distraction rate.Mathews KG, Roe S, Stebbins M, et al. | Vet Surg 2004;33:191-9.
- Radiographic anatomy of the canine coxofemoral joint using dorsal acetabular rim radiography.Trumpatori B, Mathews KG, Roe S, et al. | Vet Rad Ultrasound 2003;44:526-532. [First author trainee]
- Ratite cancellous xenograft: effects on avian fracture healing.Mathews KG, Danova NA, Newman H, et al. | Vet Comp Orthop Trauma 2003;16:50-8.
- Canine pubic symphysiodesis: investigation of electrocautery dose response by histologic examination and temperature measurement.Patricelli AJ, Dueland RT, Lu Y, Fialkowski J, Mathews KG. | Vet Surg, 2001;30:261-268.
- Comparison of topical administration of clotrimazole through surgically versus non-surgically placed catheters for treatment of nasal aspergillosis in dogs: 60 cases (1990-1996).Mathews KG, Davidson AP, Koblik PD, et al. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998;213:501-506.
- (2010) Evaluation of a mid-humeral block of the radial, ulnar, musculocutaneous and median nerves for analgesia of the distal forelimb in the dog.Trumpatori B, Carter JE, Hash J, Davidson GS, Mathews KG, Roe SC, Lascelles BDX. | Veterinary Surgery 2010;39: 785–796 [July 29, Epub ahead of print]
- (2010) Preparation of Canine and Feline Cadavers for Surgical Laboratories.Mathews KG, Riley K, Lascelles BDX, Dernell WS. | Veterinary Surgery 39: 224-225. [Epub: 6th January 2010, DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2009.00586.x]
- (2008) Evaluation of distal leg wraps for the prevention of bacterial strike-through in an ex vivo canine modelVince KJ, Lascelles BDX, Mathews KG, Altier C, Roe SC | Veterinary Surgery 2008;37:406-411
- (2005) Management and outcome of cats with ureteral calculi: 153 cases (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LD, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226:937-944.
- (2005) Clinical, clinicopathologic, radiographic, and ultrasonographic abnormalities in cats with ureteral calculi: 163 cases (1984-2002).Kyles AE, Hardie EM, Wooden BG, Adin CA, Stone EA, Gregory CR, Mathews KG, Cowgill LD, Vaden S, Nyland TG, Ling GV. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226:932-936.
- (2004) In vitro prediction of canine urolith mineral composition using computed tomographic beam attenuation measurements.Pressler BM, Mohammadian LA, Li E, Vaden SL, Levine JF, Mathews KG, Robertson ID. | J Vet Rad Ultrasound, 2004; 45:189-197.
Engineering a New Life for ThumperReplacing rear legs with wheelchair devices is increasingly common in companion animals, but doing so with the delicate front legs of cats is particularly difficult...
For Seaks, Miracles Stand the Test of TimePeople who love their pets know the bonds that exist between ourselves and our animal companions are especially strong. Someone who understands that dynamic very well is Terry Seaks, economics professor emeritus...
Veterinary Medicine's Masked HeroesFor the soft tissue and oncologic surgery service, breadth of cases is the daily norm
CCMTR Hosts Symposium on Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine
The State of North Carolina is well poised to play a central role in the area of regenerative medicine. Key medical institutions including UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest, coupled with the NC State University’s unique expertise in engineering and veterinary medicine, and the existence of collaborative networks such as the NC State Center for Comparative