Simon Roe, BVSc, PhD, Dip. ACVS
AffiliationsAssociate Professor, North Carolina State University, 1997 – 2006
Assistant Professor, North Carolina State University, 1991 – 1997
Clinical Instructor, University of Sydney, 1985 - 1986
Residency in Surgery, University of Illinois, 1982 – 1985
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
University of New South Wales, PhD, 1992,
University of Illinois, MS, 1985,
University of Melbourne, MVSt, 1982,
Small Animal Surgery
University of Queensland BVSc, 1979, Veterinary Science
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsBiomechanics of musculoskeletal system – specifically, fracture healing and fracture fixation, ligament and tendon healing, cranial cruciate ligament replacement techniques, total hip replacement
- (2017) Repeatability and accuracy testing of a weight distribution platform and comparison to a pressure sensitive walkway to assess static weight distribution.Bosscher G, Tomas A, Roe SC, Marcellin-Little DJ, Lascelles BD. | Vet Comp Ortho Traumatol 2017 Mar 20;30(2):160-164. Epub 2017 Jan 17.
- (2016) Effect of water temperature on the hydrolysis of two absorbable sutures used in fish surgery.Cannizzo SA, Roe, SC, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. | FACETS 2016 May; 1:44-54.
- (2015) Assessment of an implant-skin interfere scoring system for external skeletal fixation of dogs.McDonald-Lynch MB, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Lascelles BD, Trumpatori BJ, Griffith EH. | Am J Vet Res 2015 Nov;76(11):931-8.
- (2014) Relationship between mechanical thresholds and limb use in dogs with coxofemoral joint oa-associated pain and the modulating effects of pain alleviation from total hip replacement on mechanical thresholds.Tomas A, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Motsinger-Reif A, Lascelles BD. | Vet Surg 2014 Jul;43(5):542-8. Epub 2014 Feb 11.
- (2013) Development of a questionnaire to assess chronic pain associated with feline degenerative joint diseaseBenito J, DePuy V, Davidson GA, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Gruen MW, Roe S, Hardie E, Hansen B, Lascelles BD. | Oral presentation at AVA Scientific Spring Meeting. 2013; 40(1):19. Davos, Switzerland.
- (2013) Reliability and discriminatory testing of a client-based metrology instrument, feline musculoskeletal pain index (FMPI) for the evaluation of degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats.Benito J, Depuy V, Hardie E, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hansen B, Lascelles BD. | Vet J 2013 Jun;196(3):368-73. Epub 2013 Jan 29.
- (2013) Feline musculoskeletal pain index: responsiveness and testing of criterion validity.Benito J, Hansen B, DePuy V, Davidson GS, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hardie E, Lascelles BD. | J Vet Intern Med 2013 May-Jun;27(3):474-82. Epub 2013 Apr 3.
- (2012) Resistance to subsidence of an uncemented femoral stem after cerclage wiring of a fissure.McCulloch RS, Roe SC, Marcellin-Little DJ, Mente PL. | Vet Surg 2012 Jan;41(1):163-7. Epub 2011 Jul 19.
- (2012) Outcome measures and neurobiological insights in a naturally occurring canine model of OA.Lascelles BD, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Hansen BD. | 2012 North Carolina Cartilage-Arthritis Rresearch Alliance (NC-CARA) Meeting, Poster Presentation. 20 March 2012; Chapel Hill, NC.
- (2012) Comparison of GRF measures for hip pain.Siebert R, Marcellin-Little D, Roe SC, DePuy V, Lascelles BD. | Poster communication, ACVS Scientific Symposium Washington, 1-3 November 2012 (Accepted - not presented due to Hurricane Sandy and ACVS being cancelled)
- (2012) Owner questionnaire to assess feline DJD pain.Lascelles BD, Benito J, DePuy V, Davidson GS, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe SC, Hardie EM, Hansen B. | Oral communication, ACVS Scientific Symposium Washington, 1-3 November 2012 (Accepted - not presented due to Hurricane Sandy and ACVS being cancelled)
- (2012) Comparison of bodyweight distribution, peak vertical force, and vertical impulse as measures of hip joint pain and efficacy of total hip replacement.Siebert R, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, DePuy V, Lascelles BD. | Vet Surg 2012 May;41(4):443-7. Epub 2012 Apr 30.
- (2010) Item generation and design testing of a questionnaire to assess degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats. Zamprogno H, Hansen BD, Bondell HD, Sumrell AR, Simpson W, Robertson ID, Brown J, Pease AP, Roe SC, Hardie EM, Wheeler SJ, Lascelles BD. | Am J Vet Res 2010 Dec;71(12):1417-24.
- (2010) Evaluation of a midhumeral block of the radial, ulnar, musculocutaneous and median (RUMM block) nerves for analgesia of the distal aspect of the thoracic limb in dogs.Trumpatori BJ, Carter JE, Hash J, Davidson GS, Mathews KG, Roe SC, Lascelles BD. | Vet Surg 2010 Oct;39(7):785-96.
- (2010) Evaluation of functional outcome after BFX total hip replacement using a pressure sensitive walkway.Lascelles BD, Friere M, Roe SC, DePuy V, Smith E, Marcellin-Little DJ. | Vet Surg 2010 Jan;39(1):71-7.
- (2009) Biomechanical comparison of four soft tissue replacement materials: an in vitro evaluation of single and multilaminate porcine small intestine submucosa, canine fascia lata, and polypropylene mesh.Arnold GA, Mathews KG, Roe S, Mente P, Seaboch T. | Vet Surg 2009 Oct; 38(7):834-44.
- (2009) Effect of fascial abrasion, fasciotomy, and fascial excision on cutaneous wound healing in cats.Mitsui A, Mathews KG, Linder KE, Kruse MA, Roe SC. | Am J Vet Res 2009 Apr; 70(4):532-538.
- (2009) Expression and activity of COX-1 and 2 and 5-LOX in joint tissues from dogs with naturally occurring coxofemoral joint osteoarthritis.Lascelles BD, King S, Roe S, Marcellin-Little DJ, Jones S. | J Orthop Res 2009 Sep; 27(9):1204-1208.
- (2008) Isometry of potential suture attachment sites for the cranial cruciate ligament deficient canine stifle.Roe SC, Kue J, Gemma J: | Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2008; 21(3):215-220.
- (2008) Evaluation of wraps covering the distal aspect of pelvic limbs for prevention of bacterial strike-through in an ex vivo canine model.Vince KJ, Lascelles BDX, Mathews KG, Altier C, Roe SC. | Vet Surg 2008 Jun;37(4):406-11.
- (2008) Amantadine in a multimodal analgesic regimen for alleviation of refractory osteoarthritis pain in dogs.Lascelles BDX, Gaynor J, Smith ES, Roe SC, Marcellin-Little DJ, Davidson G, Carr J. | J Vet Intern Med 2008 Jan-Feb;22(1):53-9.
- (2007) Biomechanical comparison of dual interlocking single loop and double loop tension band techniques to the classic AO tension band technique for repair of olecranon osteotomies in dogs.Grafinger MS, Roe SC, Spodnick G, Smith ES. | Vet Surg 2007 Feb;36(2):141-8.
- (2007) Evaluation of client-specific outcome measures and activity monitoring to measure pain relief in cats with osteoarthritis.Lascelles BD, Hansen BD, Roe S, DePuy V, Thomson A, Pierce CC, Smith ES, Rowinski E. | J Vet Intern Med 2007 May-Jun;21(3):410-6.
- (2007) Kinetic evaluation of normal walking and jumping in cats, using a pressure-sensitive walkway.Lascelles BD, Findley K, Correa M, Marcellin-Little D, Roe S. | Vet Rec 2007 Apr 14;160(15):512-6.
- (2006) Median sternotomy closure in dogs: a mechanical comparison of technique stability.Davis KM, Roe SC, Mathews KG, Mente PL. | Vet Surg 2006 Apr; 35(3):271-7.
- (2006) Mechanical comparison of two knots and two crimp systems for securing nylon line used for extra-articular stabilization of the canine stifle.Vianna ML, Roe SC. | Vet Surg 2006 Aug;35(6):567-72.
- (2006) Comparison of measurements obtained by use of an electrogoniometer and a universal plastic goniometer for the assessment of joint motion in dogs.Thomas TM, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Lascelles BD, Brosey BP. | Am J Vet Res 2006 Dec;67(12):1974-9.
- (2006) Evaluation of a pressure walkway system for measurement of vertical limb forces in clinically normal dogs.Lascelles BD, Roe SC, Smith E, Reynolds BS, Markham J, Bergh MS, Marcellin-Little D, Budsberg SC. | Am J Vet Res 2006 Feb;67(2):277-82.
- (2004) Biomechanical evaluation of suture pull-out from canine arytenoid cartilages: effects of hole diameter, suture configuration, suture size and distraction rate.Mathews KG, Roe S, Stebbins M, Barnes R, Mente PL. | Vet Surg 2004 May-Jun; 33(3):191-9.
- (2003) Radiographic anatomy of the canine coxofemoral joint using dorsal acetabular rim (DAR) view.Trumpatori B, Mathews KG, Roe S, Robertson ID. | Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2003 Sep-Oct; 44(5):526-532. [First author trainee]
- (2002) Radiographic evidence of degenerative joint disease in geriatric cats: 100 cases (1994-1997).Hardie EM, Roe SC, Martin FR. | J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 Mar 1; 220(5):628-632.
Patient Spotlight: A Joint Effort to Manage Hip Pain
Liesel stole the hearts of Ed and Ingrid Carney at 4 months old. The Carneys had planned to add a dog to their family in Cary, N.C., having previously rescued greyhounds and setters. They were ready to try something new and had a plan that did not include adopting a rescue or a German shepherd