Simon Roe, BVSc, PhD, Dip. ACVS
AffiliationsAssociate Professor, North Carolina State University, 1997 – 2006
Assistant Professor, North Carolina State University, 1991 – 1997
Clinical Instructor, University of Sydney, 1985 - 1986
Residency in Surgery, University of Illinois, 1982 – 1985
CertificationsDiplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
University of New South Wales, PhD, 1992,
University of Illinois, MS, 1985,
University of Melbourne, MVSt, 1982,
Small Animal Surgery
University of Queensland BVSc, 1979, Veterinary Science
Spontaneous Animal Disease ModelsBiomechanics of musculoskeletal system – specifically, fracture healing and fracture fixation, ligament and tendon healing, cranial cruciate ligament replacement techniques, total hip replacement
- (2016) Effect of water temperature on the hydrolysis of two absorbable sutures used in fish surgery.Cannizzo SA, Roe, SC, Harms CA, Stoskopf MK. | FACETS 1: 44054. DOI: 10.1139/facets-2016-0006.
- (2016) Repeatability and accuracy testing of a weight distribution platform and comparison to a pressure sensitive walkway to assess static weight distribution.Bosscher G, Tomas A, Roe S, Marcellin-Little D, Lascelles BDX. | Accepted, VCOT, October 2016
- (2015) Repeatability of an implant-skin interface scoring system for external skeletal fixation.McDonald-Lynch MB, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Lascelles BDX, Trumpatori BJ, Grifffith E. | Am J Vet Res. 2015 Nov;76(11):931-8. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.76.11.931. PMID: 26512537
- Median sternotomy closure in dogs: A mechanical comparison of technique stability,Davis KM, Roe SC, Mathews KG, Mente PL. | Veterinary Surgery, 2006; 35(3):271-7.
- Biomechanical comparison of dual interlocking single loop and double loop tension band techniques to the classic AO tension band technique for repair of olecranon osteotomies in dogs,Grafinger MS, Roe SC, Spodnick G, Smith E. | Vet Surg, 36: 141 148, 2007.
- Resistance to subsidence of an uncemented femoral stem after cerclage wiring of a fissure,McCulloch, R, Mente, P, Marcellin-Little, D, Roe SC: | Vet Surg, 2011
- Evaluation of functional outcome after BFX total hip replacement using a pressure sensitive walkway.Lascelles BDX, Freire M, Roe SC, et al. | Vet Surg, 2010; 39:71-77.
- Evaluation of wraps covering the distal aspect of pelvic limbs for prevention of bacterial strike-through in an ex vivo canine model.Vince KJ, Lascelles BDX, Mathews KG, Altier C, Roe SC. | Vet Surg, 2008; 37:406-411.
- Isometry of potential suture attachment sites for the cranial cruciate ligament deficient canine stifle,Roe SC, Kue J, Gemma J: | VCOT 2008; 21:215-220. 21:215-220.
- Mechanical comparison of two knots and two crimp systems for securing nylon line used for extra-articular stabilization of the canine stifle,Vianna M, Roe SC. | Vet Surg 35:567-572, 2006.
- (2013) Development of a questionnaire to assess chronic pain associated with feline degenerative joint diseaseBenito J, DePuy V, Davidson GA, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Gruen MW, Roe S, Hardie E, Hansen B, Lascelles BDX | Oral presentation at AVA Scientific Spring Meeting, Davos, Switzerland, 21-23 March 2012. Page 30 of proceedings 2013 Volume 40, Issue 1, page 19
- (2013) Relationship between mechanical thresholds and limb use in dogs with coxofemoral joint OA-associated pain and the modulating effects of pain alleviation from total hip replacement on mechanical thresholdsTomas A, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Motsinger-Reif A, Lascelles BDX | In Press, Veterinary Surgery
- (2013) Feline Musculoskeletal Pain Index (FMPI): Responsiveness and Criterion Validity TestingBenito J, Hansen B, DePuy V, Davidson G, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hardie E, Lascelles BDX | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2013 Apr 3. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12077. [Epub ahead of print]
- (2012) Outcome measures and neurobiological insights in a naturally occurring canine model of OA.Lascelles BDX, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Hansen BD | Poster presentation 2012 North Carolina Cartilage-Arthritis Rresearch Alliance (NC-CARA) Meeting, Friday Center, Chapel Hill, NC, 20th March 2012
- (2012) Reliability and discriminatory testing of a client-based metrology instrument, Feline Musculoskeletal Pain Index - FMPI, for the evaluation of degenerative joint disease associated pain in catsBenito J, Hardie E, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hansen B, Lascelles BDX | The Veterinary Journal Jan 28. doi:pii: S1090-0233(12)00542-4. 10.1016/j.tvjl.2012.12.015. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23369382
- (2012) Comparison of GRF measures for hip painSiebert R, Marcellin-Little D, Roe SC, DePuy V, Lascelles BDX | Poster communication, ACVS Scientific Symposium Washington, 1-3 November 2012 (Accepted - not presented due to Hurricane Sandy and ACVS being cancelled)
- (2012) Owner questionnaire to assess feline DJD painLascelles BDX Benito J, DePuy V, Davidson GS, Zamprogno H, Thomson A, Simpson W, Roe S, Hardie E, Hansen B | Oral communication, ACVS Scientific Symposium Washington, 1-3 November 2012 (Accepted ? not presented due to Hurricane Sandy and ACVS being cancelled)
- (2012) Comparison of bodyweight distribution, peak vertical force and vertical impulse as measures of hip joint pain and efficacy of total hip replacement.Siebert R, Marcellin-Little D, Roe SC, DePuy V, Lascelles BDX. | Veterinary Surgery 2012 May; 41(4):443-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2012.00957.x. Epub 2012 Apr 30 PMID: 22548436
- (2010) Item generation and design testing of a questionnaire to assess degenerative joint disease-associated pain in cats. Zamprogno H, Hansen BD, Bondell HD, Thomson Sumrell A, Simpson W, Robertson I, Brown J, Pease A, Roe SC, Hardie E, Lascelles BDX. | American Journal of Veterinary Research 2010 Dec;71(12):1417-24.
- (2010) Evaluation of a mid-humeral block of the radial, ulnar, musculocutaneous and median nerves for analgesia of the distal forelimb in the dog.Trumpatori B, Carter JE, Hash J, Davidson GS, Mathews KG, Roe SC, Lascelles BDX. | Veterinary Surgery 2010;39: 785–796 [July 29, Epub ahead of print]
- (2010) Evaluation of functional outcome following BFX total hip replacement system using a pressure sensitive walkwayLascelles BDX, Friere M, DePuy V, Roe S, Smith E, Marcellin-Little D | Veterinary Surgery 2010;39:71-77
- (2009) Expression and activity of COX-1 and 2 and 5-LOX in joint tissues from dogs with naturally occurring coxofemoral joint osteoarthritisLascelles BDX, King S, Roe S, Marcellin-Little DJ, Jones S | Journal of Orthopedic Research 2009;27:1204-1208
- (2008) Evaluation of distal leg wraps for the prevention of bacterial strike-through in an ex vivo canine modelVince KJ, Lascelles BDX, Mathews KG, Altier C, Roe SC | Veterinary Surgery 2008;37:406-411
- (2008) Evaluation of amantadine as part of a multimodal analgesic regimen for the alleviation of refractory osteoarthritis painLascelles BDX, Gaynor J, Smith ES, Roe SC, Marcellin-Little DJ, Davidson G, Carr J | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2008;22(1):53-59
- (2007) Evaluation of client specific outcome measures and activity monitoring to measure pain relief in cats with osteoarthritisB. Duncan X. Lascelles, Bernie D. Hansen, Simon Roe, Venita DePuy, Andrea Thomson, Courtney C. Pierce, Eric S. Smith, Elizabeth Rowinski | Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine (2007) 21(3):410-416
- (2007) Kinetic evaluation in normal cats using a pressure sensing walkwayLascelles BDX, Findley K, Correa M, Roe S | Veterinary Record (2007) 160(15):512-516
- (2006) Comparison of measurements obtained by use of an electrogoniometer and a universal plastic goniometer for the assessment of joint motion in dogsThomas TM, Marcellin-Little DJ, Roe SC, Lascelles BDX, Brosey BP | American Journal of Veterinary Research (2006) 67(12):1974-9
- (2006) Evaluation of a pressure walkway system for measurement of vertical limb forces in clinically normal dogsLascelles BDX, Roe SC, Smith E, Reynolds BS, Markham J, Bergh MS, Marcellin D, Budsberg SC | American Journal of Veterinary Research (2006) 67(2):277-82
- Radiographic evidence of degenerative joint disease in 100 geriatric cats (1994-1997)Hardie EM, Roe SC, Martin FR | JAVMA 2002; 220:628-632