Amanda Lee Ziegler
Graduate Research Asst
Lab: Gastrointestinal Physiology
Lab Phone: 919.513.7725
Dr. Amanda Ziegler is a veterinarian researcher and a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in The Comparative Gastrointestinal Physiology Lab. Dr. Ziegler received a BS in Pre-veterinary Medicine from the University of Delaware in 2011. She then moved to Raleigh, NC and received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and PhD in Comparative Biomedical Sciences from NC State College of Veterinary Medicine in 2015 and 2018. Dr. Ziegler’s research has always centered on epithelial cell biology. Her past work focused on the bovine hoof and the human lung, and she is currently studying postnatal development of epithelial barrier repair in the intestine using a neonatal pig model. She also lead a multi-institutional clinical trial to study postoperative management of equine colic patients. In her free time, she enjoys yoga and weightlifting, riding horses, and spending time with her husband David and dog Dooley.
- Response to D. E. Freeman's letter: Bias in statistics or bias in equine veterinary medicine?Ziegler AL, Fogle CA, Burke M, Blikslager AT. | Equine Vet J. 2019 Feb 27. doi: 10.1111/evj.13081. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30811658.
- Multicentre, blinded, randomised clinical trial comparing the use of flunixin meglumine with firocoxib in horses with small intestinal strangulating obstruction.Ziegler AL, Freeman CK, Fogle CA, Burke MJ, Davis JL, Cook VL, Southwood LL, Blikslager AT. | Equine Vet J. 2018 Aug 29. doi: 10.1111/evj.13013. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30156312.
- Epithelial restitution defect in neonatal jejunum is rescued by juvenile mucosal homogenate in a pig model of intestinal ischemic injury and repair.Ziegler AL, Pridgen TA, Mills JK, Gonzalez LM, Van Landeghem L, Odle J, Blikslager AT | PLoS One. 2018 Aug 23;13(8):e0200674. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0200674. eCollection 2018. Erratum in: PLoS One. 2019 Feb 22;14(2):e0212962. PubMed PMID: 30138372; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6107120.
- Update on the use of cyclooxygenase-2-selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in horses.Ziegler A, Fogle C, Blikslager A. | J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2017 Jun 1;250(11):1271-1274. doi: 10.2460/javma.250.11.1271. Review. PubMed PMID: 28509650; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5588883.
- Impaired intestinal barrier function and relapsing digestive disease: Lessons from a porcine model of early life stress.Ziegler AL, Blikslager AT. | Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2017 Nov;29(11):1-4. doi: 10.1111/nmo.13216. Review. PubMed PMID: 29052972; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5940449. Neurogastroenterol Motil.
- Large Animal Models: The Key to Translational Discovery in Digestive Disease Research.Ziegler A, Gonzalez L, Blikslager A. | Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Nov;2(6):716-724. doi: 10.1016/j.jcmgh.2016.09.003. PubMed PMID: 28090566; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5235339.